The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. Hi guys.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?

Tetris is awesome, that's why I play it. I've been playing Tetris since I got my gameboy (that means like 10 years... minus 9), and I played TGM since August 2009.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?

I play TGM, when I want.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ) keep you busy?

Good games, lol.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?

Portal.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?

Don't know, lol.

2. Holy shit another Kevin!

3. Welcome m.kevin, hope you enjoy your stay. :)

4. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    It started with GameBoy Tetris back in the early 2000's. Been playing it ever since. I'm... average at Tetris. I'm not very good at the TGM series, but I can beat Marathon and Survival modes on Tetris Friends.
    I play Tetris Friends and Texmaster. I play almost every single day.
    3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?
    Dr. Mario, CoD Black Ops, Pokemon, Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Puzzle League.
    I was searching for a good TGM clone, when I found Texmaster... and this site.:awe:

5. Right on, welcome to TC. :)

How's Texmaster treatin' ya? Had you played some TGM-style game before, or did you just hear about it on the internet and decide to give it a try?

6. I heard about TGM on the Internet and wanted to give it a try, so I looked for a good TGM clone, and I found Texmaster. I usually don't do all that well on it(when playing on 20G, I HAVE to use World Rule, otherwise, I fail within 30 secondsD:), but recently I got S3 on Sudden Ti and Normal using World Rule.:awe: I posted them on YouTube, my YouTube account name is also Linepiece777. I saw some vids of people TAS'ing Texmaster, yet I have no idea how.:(

7. Yeah, don't let it get you down -- Classic is tricky to use at first, but it gets easier with practice. We've all had those "oh no 20G, time to flail around until I die D:" experiences. :p http://kitaru.1101b.com/TGMGUIDE is a good guide if you want to learn the ins and outs of Classic rotation.

For TASing Texmaster, they must be using an external program to slow things down. On the other hand, Nullpomino (another clone for Tetris and other puzzle games) has a built-in framestep and rudimentary re-recording features if you want to put together an optimized TAS.

8. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

I have a linux tool that slows down time in any program. I tried it out with Texmaster. It works.

A TAS is completely doable, but a good TAS has high standards. Have you been to tasvideos.org?

Also there are 3 (all unfinished) TAS runs of real TGM games: TGM1, TGM2p master, and TGM2p death. Sadly they're all mine. The Death TAS is on youtube under my account.

9. 1. Yeah, when I play on Classic Rule, the rotation and speed is SO messed up that I can't make it past Level 50 on Sudden Ti.
    2. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
    3. First, what is framestep? Second, I tried the framestep key. I didn't see a difference. I changed the key, but still, no difference. The again, I don't even KNOW what framestep is, so there's probably something you guys know that I don't.
    3. Sadly, I have crappy Windows Vista. Would it also work on Vista, or only Linux?

4. Yeah, I've been there. Man, those TAS'ers are unreal!

5. So no one else has bothered to try to TAS TGM? That, or they're too worried about legal problems to do so? Anyway, I'll check it out.

10. Sudden Ti is not a good place to start one's conquest of Classic. :) It is certainly a mode built for expert players, and it would be a very harsh environment for learning how to play with ARS. I would suggest trying Novice, Normal, and Special first. Special Ti has the rotation perks from TGM3, but it tends to get up to speed much faster than the previous games.

Framestep allows you to advance through the game frame-by-frame instead of running at a constant rate (i.e. 60 frames per second). Framestep must first be enabled in Nullpomino's General options. Once enabled, you can use the framestep key while the game is paused to move the action forward one frame. Any game keys held when you step the action forward are entered for that frame. In this way, you can hand tune the inputs sent on each frame for the best possible results. It takes a lot of knowhow and planning, but with proper optimization the end result can be quite impressive. :)

I don't think there are any mature re-recording tools for MAME out there right now. I believe DeHackEd was developing the MAME patches necessary for convenient TASing by himself.

11. try cheat engine, i have not tried it with texmaster, but it works with lot of games.

12. Good news: I just did a very nice TAS of NullPoMino's 40 Line mode with a time of 12.00 seconds using framestep. Bad news: I hit the "Escape" key at the end which froze it. So don't go around saying "Pics or it didn't happen"! Hey, at least I've learned the basics of TAS'ing. The thing only took like, half an hour to get.

13. Hi guys! I'm an aspiring game developer, currently making a TAP clone.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I've been kindof playing since earlier this year. I randomly remembered seeing the TI Master mode jin8 video a couple years back and thinking that looked like a good game. I not good myself yet, only Rank 2 in TAP.

TAP, my TAP clone, random emulated/PC/web Tetris games that I learn about, maybe TF occasionally. Maybe I play a couple hours a week, not much at all.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?
    MvC3, DMC series

I'm starting to get into Puzzle Fighter after playing it in a tourney at Summer Jam. I used to be deep into Puyo, haven't played much in about 5 years though.

amnesia.gif

14. Muf

Muf

Hey Xenogenesis! Welcome to Tetrisconcept. Sorry about your introduction post getting stuck in the spam filter the past 19 hours. I've split your post into a new thread so that it won't clog up the introduction thread. Hope you don't mind, and enjoy your stay! :)

15. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?

I have had an on/off relationship with Tetris ever since it came out on the black and white gameboy! I felt there was no challenge left for me on the original gameboy Tetris when I mastered Level 9 High 5 in speed up mode (the one with a heart on).
    If you never tried this, please try this if you think you are good! :D

I later got addicted to Tetris Advance on the GBA and then Tetris DS but due to the infinity spin, there wasn't a real challenge.

In the last few years I was quite fascinated by the Tetris Grand Master videos that popped up on youtube, so I played a lot of Tetris The Grand Master and Tetris The Absolute Grand Master 2 Plus on MAME and I even acquired Tetris Grand Master Ace on the Japanese Xbox 360 but this was actually quite poor in comparison.

Now, only last year or so, a good friend introduced me to the excellent homebrew version of Tetris The Grand Master 3 - Terror-Instinct on the Nintendo DS called Tetris Terror Instinct.

This is without doubt the best version of Tetris that is freely available to all of us.
    Why? It plays so perfect! It feels so intense, the music is so intense, sound effects are brilliant, graphics do the job and I could never get bored of this, unlike the other previous crap versions of Tetris.
    The HOLD button is clever as it reintroduces forward thinking for reward playing.
    This also has online high scores too! :D

Quite recently, I've only been playing in BIG mode. At one point, I was playing this everyday for at least one hour a day during my train journeys to and from work!

As for whether I am great or not, I would consider myself better than average...

Have a look at some of my recent videos and judge yourself and let me know what you think! :D

Tetris Terror instinct played on big & invisible mode from level 1300
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWtH4qGvl7Y

Tetris Terror instinct played on big mode from level 1300
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJ_fsxX9Xc

Tetris Terror Instinct played on big mode from level 900 (which I'm sure is faster than level 1300)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_6Cnm1hHGY

I've been a gamer all my life with about 30 years experience!

The other puzzle games I enjoy are Angry Birds on iOS and Zoo Keeper on the Nintendo DS, I much prefer this over Bejeweled! :D
    I also play a lot of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD and Trials HD on the Xbox 360.

I found tetrisconcept from a friend - I was looking for other Tetris addicts like myself!

Right, I have a few serious questions myself.

1. I have a 14 month old daughter and I want to introduce her to Tetris ASAP as I am a firm believer that 'Tetris, sharpens your brain!' At what age can I get her interested in Tetris? How should I do it? Should I just let her watch me play? When can she even attempt to play Tetris??

2. Is the Tetris The Grand Master 3 - Terror-Instinct arcade ever going to be emulated in MAME or through any other arcade emulator? If not, how can I purchase this arcade board? How much does it even sell for?

3. I've not played any of the Tetris PC homebrews that are available - Can someone please tell me what's the closest Tetris The Grand Master 3 arcade PC homebrew clone/version available now?

4. Is it me or do people seem to play Tetris better after work rather than before work?
    For example, my Tetris skills don't seem to be as good if I play in the morning (whilst I'm on the train to work, rather than late afternoon (when I'm playing it on the train going back home).

Peace out.

P.S. I'm secretly hoping Tetris: Axis don't suck on the Nintendo 3DS when it's released!!

16. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

:confused:

17. Muf

Muf

I think he means :amn:

:awe:

18. Welcome Phillai! Nice playing in those Shirase Big videos. :) By the way, you're right that Shirase 1300 slows things down, as that's the point in the game where the Big blocks are introduced for the credit roll.

Personally, I started playing Tetris on the GameBoy I got for Christmas when I was ~3 1/2 years old. I would play Tetris and other games during video game time at home or during long car trips.

Emulation within MAME isn't feasible, as TGM3 runs on a PC-based hardware -- the OS on the machine is a stripped down version of Windows XP. So, playing the game without visiting an arcade or buying a kit is more an issue of warez than emulation... If you're looking for a legitimate TGM3 kit, you can find them from time to time on Yahoo Auctions Japan, PCB export shops (such as Sophia Corp., the export division for Tops Game), or on the marketplace section of some arcade forums (though this is the least common place to find a kit for sale).

Texmaster is the most popular choice for TGM3 modes. It has some inaccuracies, but it's nothing that should greatly affect general play and practice. Nullpomino supports these modes and is sometimes more accurate (Master grading, Shirase rising garbage behavior, etc.) or fully featured (optional support for Master mode Promotional Exam system), but the currently available versions aren't yet as responsive as Texmaster.

I usually play in the evening myself. Maybe it's just a matter of being awake and focused. :)

If you played Tetris Party Deluxe, I'd expect more of the same; Tetris Axis is another game from Hudson and has a lot of modes in common with its predecessors. It seems like it's just another Tetris package with an expanded selection of gimmick modes. I'm still waiting to hear from someone that has it about whether they improved the Versus play or not, but I wouldn't expect anything nearly as outstanding as TGM or the like from the single player experience. :)