Wii Tetris - still to be announced ...

Thread in 'Discussion' started by herc, 21 Jul 2007.

1. Whoa, got me there.

Red I and cyan T? And a logo which looks neither like Nintendo nor Sega nor Dean? Weird.[/url]

2. Am I the only one who really doesn't want the Wiimote to be implemented?

What I'd want would be a TGM-esque single player (ie. one where it's not easy to play forever), with a decent multiplayer. One like TDS, but maybe with a few more options. Like no 4-player option, but instead one that is any number of players above two (maybe up to four) so the game doesn't end when someone drops out.

Obviously slightly faster controls than TDS would be nice too. An option to set DAS and other things would be pretty nifty, but also extremely unlikely.

I want the game to be good, and I feel that the Wiimote might ruin it, if it is relied on too heavily, and doesn't quite work perhaps how it should. I want a strong single player, and a good wifi mode. I feel putting gimmicks in the control system will most likely destroy the soul of Tetris gameplay even further, rather than improve the game.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Edtris (albeit not Tetris brand). It surprised me that the 2600 was even Tetris complete, having only 128 bytes of RAM.

These are two "open" handhelds not sold in U.S. retail stores, and tetromino games have been ported

The fact that this works in JavaScript is even better for people who can't afford to purchase a copy of Flash 7. Now we just need some sort of DOM interface to play sound effects from JavaScript.

Mario Kart for Super NES and for Nintendo DS didn't come out until a year after launch, although Mario Kart for N64 and GBA came out earlier (within 6 months of NA launch).

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64 was 16 MiB. .kkrieger was only 0.1 MiB.

Actually, the fact that these come out at the 12 month point rather than launch should be even better, as Nintendo will have put enough consoles in homes to make game sales worthwhile.

The versions under the Mirrorsoft contract just had yellow "??????" or "TET?IS" on a red background in a boldface serif font. TGM1 used a non-Nintendo, non-Sega, non-Roger Dean logo too.

Not even in sideways mode like Pokmon Battle Wii?

4. Sigma Draconis

Sigma Draconis Unregistered

I assume that not even Tetris could be done properly on the CD-i?

5. @tepples: you are right. kkrieger is the BIG exception. but keep in mind that those people were highly talented hackers and worked for months if not years (adding previous time invested into "thewerkzeug") on .kkrieger, leaving them a bit burned out..

of course, we should see more procedural stuff in games, its just cool. and also you are right, 20 mbyte should be well enough for every kind of tetris or puzzle games. who needs fancy videos.

6. jujube

jujube Unregistered

it wouldn't take much to make it harder. in tetris zone master mode you're basically playing TDS marathon level 20 except the lock delay decreases after each 10 lines, and most people aren't able to complete 200.

agreed. the disconnections are frustrating, and then you're starting from scratch waiting for 3 others to join again. with 3+ players i would also like to see a limit to the garbage you can receive in a short period of time. say if you receive 8 lines within 3 seconds then no one could send you garbage for 3 seconds, and if their target was on your screen during that time the garbage would go to another player at random.

7. I'm not so sure about that. I like it, and think it adds to the challenge. I could say they should take away targeting but, annoying as it might be for the better players, targeting adds another tactical element to the game.

If you're going to lose through little fault of your own, then garbage isn't that likely to be the culprit. OK, you'll sometimes get hit with 12 lines off the start, but generally, unless you're lagging like crazy, garbage isn't the problem.

If you're experienced at the mode, then you won't let it kill you. You don't stack above 8 lines, because then you leave yourself in trouble if a ton of garbage comes your way. You also need to stack well for skimming lines, so you can get back under 8 once you've been hit with something. If you're keeping a sensible stack (which is THE most crucial thing to learn on 4p) then you're not likely to lose through excess garbage unless someone clears a whole screen with a star and manages to get it all to you. Yeah, sometimes you'll have 3 players making sure they send you all their garbage and, if they're pretty good, you'll be getting it faster than you can clear, but that is really quite rare.

What is more likely to totally screw you is a string of items. A mushroom-lightning combo is usually pretty devastating. It's also not that uncommon to get a string of bananas and/or lightnings one after the other as well. They are the things that require more than just skill and good stacking to overcome. Having a low stack helps (as does not having a mad stack when the banana hits you), but really you need a lucky break from garbage while you recover from the items.

And I feel for a single player to be good, it needs a finite lock delay, like TGM has. One that resets with vertical movement, but not horizontal or rotational.

It could have a TDS-style marathon too, for the casual gamers, but it really needs a mode that your average player can't finish.

8. jujube

jujube Unregistered

DS world DOOM in heboris is a good challenge. the lock delay, line clear delay, ARE just need to be set properly to make any rotation system difficult. but a choice of rotation systems like in the later TGM games and heboris would be very B)

9. tepples

Unless a clan of eight or more American/British/Canadian players decides to get together on IRC and "go hunting Japs", and you happen to have kana in your DS nickname.

Which was the original impetus for Lockjaw's Low Rider gimmick, which became the well height option.

Which inspired yet another Lockjaw gimmick. But does anybody play those modes anymore?

jujube: Is there a way to make a single set of timings fair for both infinity and step reset? Would it work to just make lock delay under step reset twice as long?

10. well..does anyone know where the tetris ds creators are? still at nintendo?

who could develop the title at nintendo?

11. neat idea to contact nintendo directly and express our demand for a wii-tetris.

you never know - it might well be that after such an inquiry wii-tetris is on the topiclist for their next meeting...

and... what about contacting arika? it seems to be a small company with flat hierarchies. this might raise the probability to get some kind of answer.

anyone here on the board ever had direct email contact with either TTC (ok, we have kbr420, but he does not know about Wii-Tetris .. or is not allowed to speak about [​IMG] ) , arika or tds creators ?

12. I tried it a long time ago. Controls were fiddly at best...

13. well, though still not a tetris of any kind,

Wii Blocks

at least has Blocks as a basic game element.

this one seems to be a medium puzzler with hundrets of levels and at least cooperative gameplay.

edit:

oh man, just watched the video. the speaker from EA who presented that game is really a sucker. that was a completely lame, zero humor presentation. imho. another reason NOT to work at EA ?

14. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Not officially Wii Tetris, but wiicade.com has(or had) a Tetris game under probation. D-PAD and 1/2 buttons works, with dual-rotations, wall-kicks, and a somewhat SLOW level/speed progression, which got me bored after 30 minutes of playing it. It has a strange lock delay, with some SRS jumps, quite fun actually. Try it out Wii owners.

15. Wow, thanks for the heads up.

Sounds intresting; my brother has a wii I will have to get him to download it.

- Jono

16. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Well, you can't download it. But you must play it through the Opera Browser. You have downloaded it while it was free right? [​IMG]

17. tepples

It's too bad Flash is so expensive, or I'd try writing my own tetromino game for SWF.

18. imagine, opera for Wii would support Java... that would be way better than the proprietary flash stuff. although i am not a fan of java, it is the lesser of both evil.

well right now i am in my hometown and cannot test the wii flash app. unbelievable that this javascript --> flash hack is fast enough for a serious game..

but as the new wii firmware now supports usb keyboards, maybe we will soon have an opera version with full keyboard support and then real flash keyboard handling.

19. imacrazytetrisdude

imacrazytetrisdude Unregistered

if they pull this off that would be CRAZY!