Whats the best Tetris game for you?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by KillerMiller, 22 Mar 2006.

1. I have it and it runs perfectly fine.

2. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Have somebody ever tried "Super Tetris 3"?

This is for me the best Tetris I've played after TGM series and TDS..

If you have 5 or 10 min to loss, I advise you to try it, the gameplay is inspired from TGM, you can strongly increase the game speed with pressing down..I'm not sure but he is appeared before TGM1 and grad system is 1,2,3,4,...30,S1,S2,S3,....S9! no Gm! It's amazing..The game is very interresting at S9...

You can find it on SNES..

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I thought it was Japan-only (i.e. Super Famicom, not Super NES).

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

And ?

5. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Do you know Tetris cardcaptor sakura? yes Off course..

It's an other tetris developped by ARIKA (same speed, gameplay...)

Do you know where I can find it? Which emulator?

6. Any PSX emulator should be able to handle it, and you can find the game on Yahoo! Japan Auctions.

7. Mountainrunner

Mountainrunner Unregistered

I liked Duotris on the c64 very much.

http://pirates.emucamp.com/a/d/duotris/c64/main.html

Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

It's in fact the first Tetris I've played in my live.

There is also a official Tetris available, but I didn't liked the gameplay and the poor gfx so much.

[​IMG]

I still wonder there were so many Tetris-Clones out on the C64, but most of them with poor gfx.

-- Thomas

8. wow. how old school! the vertical z spawn just blew my mind.

9. It's threads like these which make me realise how much of a n00b I am at Tetris.

10. tepples

Vertical S/Z spawn is the case in Bricklayer (for Mac and Windows) as well. (If you recognize this song, you've played Bricklayer.) That's the one I played for a long time.

11. Mountainrunner

What does this mean?

I've tried to translate with google, but I don't think you mean the eggs of a fish when you talk about a spawn. [​IMG]

I don't speak this English very good ... [​IMG][​IMG]

Regards, Thomas

12. "Spawn" is used to mean the way the pieces appear in the game area. So a vertical spawn is an appearance in a vertical orientation.

It's used in FPS games as well. A "spawning point" is where a player can appear in the arena. "To spawn" is to enter the arena, and "spawn camping" is when a player stays close to a spawning point to get an easy kill on a recently spawned player.

Hope that wasn't more confusing than educational! [​IMG]

13. Mountainrunner

OK, that sounds better for me.

Horizontal span means you can see the pieces on the top of the screen moving from on side to the middle until they fall down.

Vertical span would mean that they are coming from the bottom to the top until they fall down.

And in multiplayer mode, each player has his own row of pieces moving around?

Thanks for the education, this is also an issue for my own tetris-game. [​IMG]

Regards, Thomas

14. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

The "spawn" in this context is not indicating movement but the way the piece is rotated when it appears at the top of the well. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

Vertical spawn for S

Code:
    []
    [][]
     []
    Horizontal spawn for S
    Code:
     [][]
    [][]

15. Mountainrunner

Thanks for the hint!

This would mean that usually all pieces come out horicontal orientated.

That's new for me, because (as you see in Duotris) I've noticed vertical orientated pieces as well (and gives you no chance when you get an "I" and most lines are blocked [​IMG] ).

16. I played Tetris for the first time back in 1993. Original Gameboy. -Hated it!

Yea, I am not a fan of black and white graphics. And I never got into the concept of clearing full rows. (too stupid to understand)

Well, one day during year 2001, I was able to watch the Arika movies. It was fun, and very inspiring. I got a hold of TGM1. I tried and tried for a month or so. Then I decided only Japanese people can get GM or be "god players". I hacked the game to see the ending. It was very interesting to see how the game was built up. All the graphics and all the different systems. So brilliant!

Well, I wanted TGM2 so badly because I had a feeling TGM1 had harder controls.

Then I played it a few weeks in 2002 and 2003. But when I found the TGM1 movie from Arika in 2005, I saw it was possible! You just need to rotate the pieces in a special order. The best thing about TGM1 is that you can actually be as good as the best players, only if you hide the timer. Because the way you get the grades, you get them the same time, or even faster than the Japanese player, relatively to the level. Heh at least below S3.

A day in 2005, I played TGM1 20g, recording my play. I got to grade 5 by luck! Only by luck. I started to get bored with the game, I mean I can't get anywhere, and I have played it since 2002. I uploaded my movie and posted at the Zinc forum. "Try do better than me! lol". colour thief replied: "I am GM". Me: "Yea right". I still believed "Only Japanese people can be GM". Well I demended proof, and that pissed colour thief off. But luckly, I found a way to become better.

Well, I am too border to continue here. I am not a fan of Tetris. I am a fan of TGM. However, I am not against Tetris in any way. TGM is just so much more "arcade". You just jump into it and you'll get the action from the start. No need to foreplay. ..... ..... must play death mode.....

Today I am GM, just like colour thief. Well, thanks to him! Still I wonder how many years it will take until I have the title of "god player". Mihara seems to be a "god player", even at Tetris DS I have heard. But most of you "Tetris" guys should become gods before me. You have played Tetris longer than I have, so that must be true?

Well, to answer this question: TGM1 is my favourite Tetris game.

17. arent you guys here into BLOCKOUT ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockout ) ? remember that?

while still living in eastern germany short before the "mauerfall" (fall of the Berlin Wall), i played it in an after school young talents location called "center of young talents or pionierhaus". though i was in the electronics department, we often had a look into the computer science department, where my same aged friends used to crack and play computer games from west germany sent with parcels or brougth from the friendly grandmom that had one of these RARE a border-crossing licences..

besides prince of persia blockout was the first computer game i ever played there in the pionierhaus. on an amber coloured hercules monitor [​IMG] man was that cool! endlessly cool 3d graphics [​IMG]

today, i still love blockout so much, that i have set up a flash game similiar to blockout:

http://www.3dtris.de

hope someone here still enjoys a short game of blockout..

[​IMG]

18. I don't really like Blockout. [​IMG] But that was a very interesting story herc, thanks for sharing it with us! [​IMG]

19. tepples

I bought it for PS1 (under the title Geom Cube) and played it for a while.

20. My all-time favorite version of Tetris is Spectrum Holobyte's "Tetris Classic" for PC (DOS). Developed by Sphere and released in 1992, this was the first version of Tetris that I had ever played (and I still play it, even today!).

P.S. Check out the Wiki entry for Tetris Classic, I've just added a ton of info and stuff to it (as well as screenshots), including the complete story behind all of the beautiful background pics in the game -:)