What does your username mean?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 26 Sep 2007.

1. Some of you guys's, I'm really curious about (jp01309, colour_thief). So just why did you choose what you chose?

I picked caffeine because I used to drink a lot of caffeinated beverages. Caffeine and speed Tetris turned out to be a really good mix. Anyway, as of about half a year ago, I stopped drinking caffeine altogether. It just was getting unhealthy, and now I find I sleep better, too. (I know a lot caffeine freaks who swear it doesn't effect their sleep, but I don't think they really give it's absence a shot.) So yeah, I kind of realize that now my username is a little funny since I don't actually drink caffeine anymore. [​IMG]

2. New username "Kotetsu" (from Robotrek, I thought it sounded cool at the time) + GameFAQs user named "dosetsu213" + joke that went too far = kotetsu213

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I'm a (Vanilla) Coke addict, but I do without caffeine for the last seven hours before bedtime so that my liver can clear it.

My nick was generated by shuffling phonemes with a Scheme program. It didn't happen exactly as explained here, but that's at least as accurate as the typical fairy-tale-to-Disney-movie translation.

4. Now this is an interesting topic.

jp01309 = Jonathan Pearson + numerical key mash.

Jono for short.

I actually really hate being called jp01309 - it reminds me of a robot.

I have been tempted many a time to re-make an account with M.Bison as a user name.

- Jono

5. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

sihumchai - Chinese translation - Cockel(sihum) Guy(chai) (or in pure chinese translation, 'shit boy' [​IMG]) ..

An assumptional people make here is that I love eating 'sihums', but that fact is that I do not [​IMG] .. Name taken from the counter-striker days, finding a 'lucky' nick to get my kill streak back.. Plus, it was funny at that time.. And people still find it funny today(the chinese).

6. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

Mine is pretty simple. It came from the dog in Yoshi's Island, the same dog that I use for my avatar.

As for my full nickname, Poochy.EXE, the .EXE came from Rockman.EXE (a.k.a. Megaman Battle Network).

7. i could change it if you want, jp01309. i think.

8. That would be great, I did not want to clog the system with multiple accounts.

M.Bison would be great. (including the two capitals letters) Only if possible that is.

Thanks alot.

- Jono

9. jujube

jujube Unregistered

you could call yourself Waterboy [​IMG]

i don't know what i was thinking when i came up with my name [​IMG] i had the idea that if it was unintimidating people would play better against me in TDS and i would have to work harder to beat them. then i would change my name to something cool.

10. aias, the achaean warrior from the illiad (aka ajax) and more recently hector from the same poem.

[​IMG]

11. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

I thought yours came from a candy called jujubees or something.. Recall that from Seinfeld [​IMG]

12. jujube

jujube Unregistered

yeah i saw that episode too [​IMG] i also found this:

http://www.jujuberestaurant.com/

and lots of other stuff. i still think my name is about nothing though [​IMG]

13. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

A fat free candy.

But does having a DS nickname written in kana really make you more intimidating in Tetris DS standard 2-player worldwide?

14. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Well.. actually it does. I guess it's just the gamers psychological/stereotypical effect that Japanese people make games, and they are *VERY* good at it. But imagine this in TDS, 1 Japan gamer vs. 3 english named gamers.. I'd think he'd be intimidated too.

15. Air Gear

Air Gear Unregistered

Eh, I needed a new nick, didn't have a "reserve of good names", and was watching this one anime, so figured...hey, may as well extract this nick. It was better than anything else at the moment. Luckily, my present "reserve of good names" is now nonempty...

16. Long story short.. one of my names is Alf and if you remember that 80s show, A.L.F stands for "Alien Life Form" - so I started calling myself A_Lee_N (pronounced "Alien") in the early 90s.

It has since then been shortened down to Lee N and most people simply call me Lee.

17. Way back when hotmail was something people used, I needed a new address. Now, just about everything imaginable was taken, so I had to think of something unique. At that time I wasn't really into tetris at all... This was years before I knew TGM existed. But I still did like puzzle games, and thought it would be neat to have something subtly related. I think my favourites back then were Tetris Attack and Wario's Woods, which are fairly colourful as far as puzzle games go.

Obviously, colour_thief is what I came up with, and to my great surprise it wasn't taken. Didn't really get any google results either... convenient. I've been using it ever since, and it's served me well. Though, for AIM registration I had to settle for ColourBorrower for some reason.

Interestingly, long after I had picked my name, I sort of retroactively earned it. This thread will explain it in detail, but in summary I started out designing a chain reaction in Tetris Attack that used the entire screen. Originally I only needed 5 of the game's 6 colours. As anyone who knows the Four colour theorem knows, all maps can be reduced to at most 4 colours. Curiosity got the better of me, and I wanted to see just how few colours I needed to still design a maximal chain. I was able to reduce ("steal" I guess [​IMG]) the colours from 5 to 4 to 3, and then proved that 2 was impossible but went as far as it could go anyways.

[​IMG]

If that picture gives you a nerdgasm you should probably check out the thread I linked... It's full of similar awesomeness.

18. gila

gila Unregistered

mine is pretty simple - gilevsky andrew. that was the nickname i got from my friends at school in probably 1989 or 1990. so i've had it for what, 17 years now? wow.

19. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

GILA - In the national language of my country means "Crazy". And also in other language(Indonesia). Glad your name didn't make reference to it [​IMG]

20. K

K

jagorochi is the addition of jago + orochi.

jago is a character from the fighting game killer instinct

orochi came from the new face team from king of fighter 97

but i just prefer jago. i used "jagorochi" because of registration problem i always encounter. As i'm know with this nick for years i continue to use it but i don't like it much.

on arcade game, you can only insert 3 char for your nick. i used for years "XXX", unfortunately when i started to play SEGA virtual cop 1, the game turned "XXX" to the default game nick (SEG if i remember well) as "AAA" turn to "ARK" in TGM. So KIL nickname came from virtua cop "KILling machine" and not Killer instinct fighting game.

last month again, somebody reconized me and called me "KIL" on the street... it was around ten years ago, but i used to be a freaking geek boy on game center [​IMG]