Video of the Tetris DS "I" block cheater

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 17 May 2006.

1. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

That's insane.

Is it because they're under the impression that it was a how-to or something? Because the threads I've replied in have stayed so far.

2. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

What a cunt. I mean, Tetris isn't a terribly difficult game. It'd be like cheating at Tic-Tac-Toe or Chutes and Ladders.

3. What a loser!

This guy will get bored soon enough. I'll bet Nintendo will deal with him as soon as he hits their publicly viewable leader board.

matt

4. There is no "leaderboard" -- only a rank list.

(they differ in that a leaderboard shows all of the top players -- the rank list only shows people of a certain rank, and for some absurd reason starts on the second-to-lowest rank. duhwut?)

5. As far as i can recall i've been reading stuff about using a track for yourself while others have a different track so you win easy or something like that.

6. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I don't think they want people to see the vid, possibly because you see his name, which is offensive (to some, at least- I couldn't give a shit less about it).

edit: I've got the vids on google video now.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7105716768

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3381032134

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I've read a paper claiming that it's NP-hard. I can't view the original paper because arxiv.org, which hosts the paper, blocked my IP address on the first time that I tried to pull a page in about the last year. But there is another paper (PDF or HTML converted by Google without images)

8. I believe that there is a (software-based) Gameshark-like cheating device out there now. I haven't looked at it too hard though, so I might be mistaken about its capabilities. It's currently designed to be unusable on games with Wifi support, but it's not a stretch to think that someone could have found a way to remove or bypass that restriction, or that they're just using an older version. This particular exploit seems like the kind of thing that could easily be pulled off with any Gameshark-like device.

Of course, you could also dump and screw with the ROM. If you really understood how things worked, I'll bet you could come up with some nasty, nearly undetectable exploits. (My personal favorite idea would be to make it so that your garbage "lines up" more than normal. Maybe it could have a tendency to line up on the far right, as well. Maybe you could also alter the RNG so you get a few more I blocks than normal.)

9. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I'd like to figure out a way to give this douschebag all "s" blocks. But I'd need to see the look on his face when it happens to be worth it.

10. Guest

Guest Unregistered

There is a pro-action replay device out there...

Oh I played you Sully.. You're pretty good. Just don't leave too soon next time.. I was just getting warmed up.. You took alot of my hard earned points down =)

TGM-Liem

11. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

So you guys have beat him once or twice, then?

If so, I'm going to chance it. It's going to be one of those situations that if I don't win in the first 60 seconds it's not going to happen.

12. SuPa

SuPa Unregistered

hey guys, first time poster here. anyways, i played against TGM-PK and he used the same cheat when i played him yesterday. hopefully nintendo could fix this crap cuz it's getting pretty ridiculous.

other than that, i would like to say hello to everyone here. i've actually been lurking around this site since it came out. i've played with some of you on wifi. TGM-Liem, i'm sure you remember me =]. caffeine, you got me good =[. sully, don't see you around that much anymore.

well, that's it for now, good luck guys.

13. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Ah, last night. You caught me at a bad time for two reasons:

a) My rating was an an almost all time low of 71xx. I'm usually in the 7400s. Sorry =/

b) I really didn't have time to play. Had it been any random person instead of you, I would have only played a couple of matches instead of the 20 or so that we played. If I had my way, we would have gone on for quite a while. Hope to see you again.

14. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

Sully

I'd like to figure out a way to give this douschebag all "s" blocks. But I'd need to see the look on his face when it happens to be worth it.

I lol'd!

Billmaan

Of course, you could also dump and screw with the ROM. If you really understood how things worked, I'll bet you could come up with some nasty, nearly undetectable exploits. (My personal favorite idea would be to make it so that your garbage "lines up" more than normal. Maybe it could have a tendency to line up on the far right, as well. Maybe you could also alter the RNG so you get a few more I blocks than normal.)

ROM hacking and dumping onto a blank cart (like an M3) is what I suspected at first. Now since, as far as I'm aware, Tetris DS hacking material is nonexistant, this cock gobbler is at least good at hacking the shit. Or if television is right, the dude's brother hacked TDS for the good of mankind while the guy himself is abusing it for his own end.

Either way, I'm willing to suspect that if anyone posts NDS hacking materials online, it's a good chance it's him.

As for a solution... isn't there a way to ban the guy from the network? I mean each DS and game cart is individually tagged with some address, right?

15. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

Yes, there are many things bound to you as the user playing the game on WiFi -- Player ID, the NintendoDS' identification code and it's bound to your friend code and then the DS has a MAC address which can be banned from the network.

It's doable, now they just need to take action.

Also, the weird thing which is being mentioned about hacking a dumped ROM: if they're just replacing all the pieces with "I" pieces, then why at the start of the game does it look like there's all the normal pieces and then they switch over?

Unless he's gotten Star item to work in 2P and made the X button functional.

16. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

Phydeaux

Unless he's gotten Star item to work in 2P and made the X button functional.

I'm willing to bet that it's as simple as that. Hacking blocks would take too much effort. Hacking the "2-player items mode" switch from off to on would be considerably easy. Hell, I'd even suggest that it was as simple as changing one bit from 0 to 1. Of course HOW the hell this guy found it is of note in of itself.

I can't imagine how much playing NDS wifi would suck once everyone else found out how to hack it....

17. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

Chances are, though, that the ones that would want to do it wouldn't be able to afford the equipment (ROM extractor, rewriting to a blank) and those that can afford to do it are using the equipment for completely other means and could care less about trying to cheat.

It just seems we caught some sort of weird hybrid of person.

18. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

Phydeaux

Chances are, though, that the ones that would want to do it wouldn't be able to afford the equipment (ROM extractor, rewriting to a blank) and those that can afford to do it are using the equipment for completely other means and could care less about trying to cheat.

I dunno, if you've got $100, you can pull this off.

* Download a Tetris DS ROM from the internet

* Open it up using some hacking tool (search me for what's what)

* Drop it into a blank cart (M3 Perfect is just the thing)

Tadah! Hacked ROM du jour.

19. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

Just take a gander at the Nintendo forums, though.

"Mommy, mommy I need this... thing."

"What's it for, dear?"

"It's to... uh... help me play better."

"How much is it?"

"$100"

"That was as much as your Gamewhatever. No."

I think we neglect to remember that the average Tetris DS player with access to the internet doesn't even have a job. [​IMG]

I mean, seriously, some of them may know how to play pretty well, but they all type like they're 8.

20. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

It's not that expensive. For $130 you can buy a DS; for another $120 you can buy equipment suitable for homebrew or piracy or cheating. And if you don't care for Mario Kart, then the $250 total bill of materials even includes a Tetris DS Game Card which can be dumped and patched. As for justifying the price to one's parents, say it's for running homebrew, specifically DSOrganize and MoonShell so that the parent doesn't have to buy a Palm and an iPod.