Upgraded to phpbb3: suggestions, complaints, logo?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 25 Jun 2008.

1. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

It would be so awesome if you could make us a custom skin. [​IMG] Perhaps for inspiration, check this forum design out.

2. So this is what Windows Vista feels like? Easier for the user. Restricted rules showing up wherever you go. Large buttons but hard to locate. Theme taking more resources.
    So the php boards are following this design...

I seriously like the clean approach. At least then I am guaranteed to find the info I am looking for. If there is a choice to choose "classic theme" I will go with that. Where is the downgrade button?

3. Muf

Muf

As a Vista user for more than a year (Been using it non-stop since April 2007, release date), allow me to say: no. While Vista is heavier on resources, comparing phpBB3 to it is unfair even for a Microsoft product. This... turdnugget of a forum theme is awkward on an astronomical level. And Vista is actually pretty nice to use, if you have a system that is able to properly run it.

4. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Is there a reason that logged-out users can't view General?

5. d

d Unregistered

Not to come across as a suck up, but I like the new look. The old look had it's charm too, but I guess some will have to get used to it. As a new member it's not like something was taken from me. Great that you created this thread for suggestions. I will keep my eyes open for any improvements that might help everybody.

6. Keep them coming. I'll try to do my best to fix this stuff as soon as possible.

7. My main complain would be the usernames and avatars being on the right. It's just disorientating and I find I'm actually having to consciously look across at who made the post rather than just seeing it alongside.

I'm going to end up hitting Save a lot, but to be honest I always hit preview all the time on the old version, because I'm used to SMF which has the "post" button on the left (which makes more sense for me because Tab and then Enter will post your post).

As a suggestion to also possibly fix any issue with icons, can you not remove the way the background for the board/topic changes colour as the mouse scrolls over it, and instead have a different background colour for boards with unread posts and boards without, therefore meaning they don't need different icons (or icons at all).
    Something that was implemented in the theme of the forum I spend most of my time on, and it works quite well.

8. Fixed.

9. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Nice work caffeine, I apologize for yesterday, I did some notices on mirc and I have been disconnected right after..
    I hope you did think that It was only bad critics..

10. I've browsed some theme for phpbb and so far two of them have caught my attention, Glossy II Green and Ubuntu. The latter obviously need a recoloring work except of course if you want a brown open-source feel forum [​IMG] . I would also modify some things here and there (I want icons !).

11. Muf

Muf

Glossy green looks like a nice base theme to work off to make a custom theme.

12. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

I love that ubuntu theme. Makes me feel right at home since i used to frequent the ubuntu forum xD

13. Ai

Ai

I like the new look! A new theme would be welcome and you should keep the logo simple.

And thanks for putting the avatars back where they belong. ^^

14. Hey, it's much easier to read now that the sidebar is on the left [​IMG]
    One tiny detail though (you don't have to prioritize this that high): the white borderline separating the sidebar from the post content is still on the left of the sidebar, instead of the right. specifically, there's a "border-left: 1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255);" property on the .postprofile class of the stylesheet which is read from style.php. changing that to "border-right" should fix it I think. (Sorry I'm not that in the know about the inner workings of phpBB)

15. Work in progress:

16. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

I really like the way that looks.

17. PetitPrince: I really like that. Thumbs up.

18. WIP so far:

19. Finished, I think. caffein > check your PM [​IMG]