Updated tetrisfriends.com

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 4 Mar 2009.

1. m:)

m:) Unregistered

i actually have been greedily hanging on to my tokens
    not so many yet tho, I've been playing other tetris.

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

yeah i've been hoarding them too. we should donate some to Quad's "i don't feel like earning stupid tokens" fund [​IMG]

3. They seem to have changed the music on Survival mode. What was it before?

4. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i noticed that it changed too. if i remember correctly it was a version of Korobeiniki before.

and i earned 30 tokens for logging in today!

5. m:)

i only earned 25 [​IMG]

6. I see they now count up your lines in the bonus round instead of counting them down by 4 over and over, which seems much more logical. Is it just me, or does the line clear delay seem even longer than it used to be? After they've tweaked things I'm now having problems with my T's sometimes locking down on me when I go to spin them, and it's not like my browser is freezing for a second -- it just seems like time suddenly advances by a second or something. I tried restarting my browser, but it was no help.

7. Wasn't this always the case? I thought it only did the counting down from 4 on replays.

I'll check on the line clears in a second. I also noticed that things were randomly locking now, though. I had a theory that perhaps they had added something stupid like the ability to lock by pressing down again once it was in contact with the stack, but this does not appear to be so after a quick test. In any case, it honestly made me care significantly less about playing there. I only go there for Survival in the first place. :s

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong about that soft dropping having nothing to do with the random locking. Try double tapping down at later levels.
    EDIT2: No, that's what it is, certainly. Around halfway through the game, it seems soft drop essentially becomes locking.

8. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i kind of like having the ability to do that. maybe it doesn't matter much on a keyboard, especially if you use different fingers to soft drop and hard drop, but in TDS it feels faster to me to lock with down after soft dropping.

9. Yeah, I was hinting more toward "they did that and the lag is screwing everything up" or "they did that and implemented it incorrectly." Seeing as fast soft drops are now treated as locking, I'm leaning toward the latter. Really though, you can now use fast soft drops as a locking drop pretty consistently now. Try playing the game without using hard drop around halfway through the game and you'll see what I mean.

Typically your input to use soft drop to lock would only be interpreted as such if you had actually lifted your finger from the key first before depressing it again, yeah? Holding down means "I want to soft drop," not "I would really like this to lock before I can do anything with it." :s

10. jujube

jujube Unregistered

oh yeah, i was confused. i didn't know you meant it was TGM-style locking soft drop. it does seem strange they would put that in a guideline game, and even stranger that it wouldn't happen until halfway through. sounds like a bug, but maybe they're doing some experimenting with TGM behaviour in this mode? after all, doesn't invisible tetris have its roots in TGM games?

(apparently "behavior" isn't a real word according to PHPBB spell check)

11. That would be an exceptionally silly way to go about doing things if that is the case. It is inconsistent, awkward, and nearly breaks t-spins and twists. Why in the world would you ever want two locking drops? I'm leaning on bug here. Maybe they were trying to implement manual locking with down and forgot to make it safe?

You probably have things set to British English in your preferences. I did as well, but "English (United States)" is also an available option. Sometimes forums running on phpbb only list British English under the language dropdown, hehe. :p

12. RE: Soft drop locking safety bug on TetrisFriends.Com
    Sweet. [​IMG]

13. As accustomed to tetris friends as I already am, I still have my beefs with the game mechanics. First of all, the controlls are super slow in comparison to the clones making it feel really clunky (not to mention the lag time on the clears, which hey, might be a good thing. It encourages us to get tetris's in sprint, right?) I don't ever go for a fast soft drop anyway, unless I'm t-spinning, and if i wanted to I would just hit space bar once it's on the ground anyway. I like to split the work as much as I can between my two hands.

the 2p battle mode, I feel, is complete bull. These people I am playing against are hardly real in my mind. I'll have a game where i'm playing against a level 11 or whatever and I'll get consistantly around 1 minute, but then these guys get a random time which I can GUARANTEE is between like 1:10 and 1:16 pretty much every time. no one has good or bad games? they always just play their average game? Until I can hook up with another player and play a real vs mode game, like a tetris DS matchup, I don't really think they can call this vs. It is really just a vs cpu (correct me if I'm wrong)

The tokens thing isn't too annoying, at least it encourages you to go all the way thru your games, without quitting lol.

14. Since this has been bumped, I figure it is worth mentioning that the locking priority bug I noticed in Survival was fixed. [​IMG]

@Shibbypod: The "multiplayer" modes are played against real people, technically... It is just asynchronous. Basically, you're just playing against replays. Whenever you finish a game, it'll file it away for potential use. Depending on what level you are at the time, it'll pull replays from the pool of finishing times/lines sent in a specific range.

Anyhow, Versus doesn't really work as an asynchronous game. It just ends up feeling like Ultra with some extra bloat.

15. hmm, that makes sence, but there aught to be a challange mode where two players (maybe even 5....) can all start playing at the same time. Maybe even have a friends list in the game or something. Idk... I feel better knowing that these fake people i mentioned are actually real, but it is still disapointing that they are only replays of those people. This particular tetris game is just best off played on your own, against nothing but your own best scores.

16. Oh, good, I can start playing again if the bug is fixed now.

The line clear delay is pretty much instantaneous in sprint, so tetrises aren't so crucial actually.

I found it odd that the first time I played sprint 5P everyone finished within a couple seconds of each other, and the second time everyone finished within about a second, so I think not only are the games pre-played, but it actually decides which games to put you against based on how well those people did in them; otherwise, there should be some randomness in how well people of a given rank do in a given game. I gave up playing the multiplayer games, because they were kind of strange.

You would think that a game called Tetris Friends would allow you to play against your friends -- maybe someday if we're lucky.

17. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

[quote="Shibbypod"there aught to be a challange mode where two players (maybe even 5....) can all start playing at the same time. Maybe even have a friends list in the game or something. Idk... I feel better knowing that these fake people i mentioned are actually real, but it is still disapointing that they are only replays of those people..[/quote]
    In fact, that's the beef I have against even real online play on DS and Wii. Unless you have friend codes, which Nintendo never made it clear how to get except from AFK friends in your own home town who own a copy of the same game, the opponents can't be distinguished from a sufficiently advanced CPU opponent combined with a bank of a few thousand preset names. Even The New Tetris for N64 had the latter.

18. m:)

on tetris party you don't even get names. you might recognize a mii it you play a bit.

19. From what I hear, that's exactly what they intend to do; In the name of protecting the most internet-illiterate of the internet-illiterates, they're perfectly happy with throwing out thousands of babies out with the bathwater if it meant it threw out online predators/stalkers as well.

20. Lol @ online tetris predators