Two year site overhaul coming

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 30 Nov 2007.

1. Hey guys, I plan on cleaning up, redoing, and polishing TC in the near future. So if anyone had any suggestions for front page layout (I was thinking I'd give some background info on Tetris/TC as well as make it a little more navigable), any suggestions for the wiki, forum, atom, logo (maybe integrate "TC" with tetrisconcept), etc, now's the time to speak up.

Also, the forum is kind of broken from when I tried to make it spam-proof, so I can't really upgrade it very much. It may not be totally necessary, but I wanted to ask you guys how you felt about locking down this one and keeping it archived, and opening a fresh, clean, and up-to-date one? (This time I'd be extra careful not to break anything.)

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

How would readers who find the end of a discussion on the old forum be able to find its continuation on the new forum?

3. Voting against decommissioning the current forums in favour of a new version. I really like the ability to bump old topics when appropriate, and searching is much more convenient. I bet a ton of casual posters can't be arsed to reregister too. If a bit of work somehow lets you export our current accounts/posts into a new forum, I strongly encourage you to put the extra effort in.

4. I'll look into hiring someone to do that. It's not that I don't want to do the work, it's just that I don't trust myself. The information here is too valuable to "learn" on.

5. If the new forum uses Simple Machine Forums software instead of phpBB I'd be extremely happy to see a new forum in exchange for the loss of the one we currently have. Most of the things worth keeping would be able to be copied straight across as it uses BBCode. Same for most of the other forum softwares.

Usability of an SMF forum would vastly make up for the loss of the old one.

6. i actually used smf when i started the site, but for some reason or another i didn't like it.

i think what i'm going to do later on is make the wiki redirect from tetrisconcept.com, so it'll be the front page of this web site. this is mainly because i find that whenever someone links to tc from their website, they always link from the wiki.

7. Nooo ! I like my logo ^^.

[​IMG]

Switching forum is fine with me, either with or without export.

Also, we should do something about the wiki spam.

8. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

The TV Tropes wiki uses an interesting anti-bot measure: HTTP basic authentication. Edit pages don't appear unless the user types in username blank and password foamy, but this information is presented in the realm line. It appears most wiki spam bots don't know how to do this.

9. what do you mean by "this information is presented in the realm line?"

10. thanks. that's nifty.

11. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

exporting accounts is normally not hard, hiring someone sounds a bit drastic. Presuming you still use phpBB, you just keep the database table that holds the accounts.