Tromi, a tetromino game

Thread in 'Discussion' started by mycophobia, 3 Jan 2012.

1. Re: sooo I made a game

replay support added!! see top of first post or README for instructions

2. Re: sooo I made a game

menu added, and replays will now save to new files in a directory called "replays"

3. I added support for zipping replay files, any old replays you may have need to be put into a zip file. I decided to just attach the relevant change to this post instead of making a whole other release, just drop the contents of the zip file (tromi.py) into your tromi folder.

also if anyone wants to post replays or anything that'd be cool (replay files can be named anything, not just "replayXX.zip")

Attached Files:

4. I changed a bit of replay code so performance while recording should be better, and when recording a replay the filename will be based on the date. also the ability to delete replays has been added.

again I decided to add "tromi.py" to this post instead of another zip. just drop it into your tromi folder.

Attached Files:

5. I updated the interface significantly. the grade is displayed at the end of the game, and the stats on the lower left of the field have been replaced with two meters at the bottom of the field. The first one indicates progress and number of points gained that level, and the second one indicates your performance speed-wise. The grading system is exactly the same, I just obfuscated it a little bit in favor of more immediately useful information. also I optimized some drawing stuff too

I figured this warranted updating the first post, so the zip is there

6. I added a line clear animation. there's no additional delay, it uses half of ARE. I also fixed a top-out bug where you can maneuver a block at the very top even if it's intersecting other blocks. this may break some replays.

Attached Files:

7. here is my (extremely bad) performance.

Attached Files:

8. wojtek: thanks for contributing

new patch:

*added white border to playfield
    *added simple combo system ((lines - 1) is added to the combo counter every consecutive line clear, and the combo counter value is added to the points gained from the line clear)
    *replays can actually be renamed now

just unzip tromi-patch.zip and drop tromi.py into your tromi folder

Attached Files:

9. the first post has been updated with a new version; the directory structure changed a bit, a couple of new files were added and compatability with replays from previous revisions is now broken. sorry! a bug needed to be addressed.

New features:

-Replays are now automatically saved. I figured there wasn't a noticable difference in performance, so why not. If the game lasted less than 30 seconds the replay isn't saved, however.
    -Name entry for high scores. The name scheme for saved replays is now "name-grade" and then a trailing number if there's already a file with that name.
    -TLS until level 2. Low-G misdrops are frustrating.
    -Attract mode! If you sit at the menu without pressing A for ten seconds, a replay will be loaded at random and then played behind the high scores list. It will start at the mid-point and play for 45 seconds before stopping. If the replay is less than 100 seconds long it won't be used.
    -The locking drop now actually locks the piece instead of setting lock delay to 30. This prevents locking and moving at the same time. As a side effect, it breaks compatability with replays made on previous versions.
    -Logo!

Fun fact: I didn't realize this until I actually looked into the drop bug, but A+C during piece spawn results in 180 degree IRS. I like it!

10. The first post has been updated with a new zip file. The only change:

I augmented the grading system with nine new grades, 18-10. In the old system, you would receive 70 points (every grade is worth 100 points) if you cleared a level while the second bar was blue, your grade was unaffected when it was red, and if it depleted completely, you were demoted on the spot. In the new system, you are awarded 160 points when the second bar is blue, 90 points when it is red, and 0 points when it is depleted completely. Your hiscores will unfortunately be messed up because of this, but an S9 grade in the old system is worth an S9 grade in this one, so essentially nothing about the underlying scoring system has changed.

Basically I just want to alleviate the frustration a beginner might feel from never being promoted, while still keeping the challenge level of acheiving Master about the same as a sub-10:30 TGM1 performance. As someone who is capable of an 11:10 performance, my best in Tromi is S8. I know such things aren't directly comparable and are super subjective, but I would really like to hear opinions about this from experienced players.