Records: [Ti] Shirase

Thread in 'Competition' started by colour_thief, 22 Nov 2008.

1. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

329 @ 2:05:95

small improvement

2. mat

mat

classic s12!
    Code:
    3--mat-------------------S12 - 1213 @ 05:36:55 - 07/01/11 - GO       GO

3. [​IMG]

Achieved on April 8, 2011

4. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

world rule is babby mode

5. I challenge you to beat it then. Try not to TAS this time though. :D

6. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

I never TAS'd sir

Also I've tried World before. The different rotations rules, spawns and colors REALLY threw me off, I kept getting SZ mixed up etc. It's like going to some alternate alien dimension and watching what you know as the laws of reality be repeatedly broken. I'm not used to it enough to do good, but I imagine if I were used to SRS it'd be as easy as ARS with move reset (except with more hilarious spins).

7. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

I'd like to add that when I got used to SRS a few years ago I did significantly better than with ARS

8. Oh?

Ironically, everybody says that! Not just you, but a select other few people here at tetrisconcept also say that world is easy.

However, when I challenge them, they will find every excuse in the book on how they can't play world, how the colors, rotation, and orientation make it impossible to play, even with the all-mighty "move-reset" everybody speaks so highly of.

Guess what? When I play ARS, I don't complain how the "spawn orientation throws me off" or how "the colors make me lose".

[​IMG]

9. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

You get 1300 in World and 500 in Classic. Obviously ARS does throw you off.

10. You get 329 in ARS and ...what using world?

My point exactly.

11. mat

mat

i don't agree with people disregarding Ti-World achievements as trivial, meaningless garbage mode, but, that being said, it is easier than Classic. or, rather it is easier to be rated with an equivalent grade (like s13). i think this has to do with the grading system really being balanced for ARS, and certain aspects of World breaking that system.

in my personal experience, which is pretty limited, i'm not sure if it's the move reset, the stances, or the kicks, but the 1100 and 1200 sections of shirase are significantly easier to "fake" my way through with poor placements and defensive nonsense when playing SRS, compared to ARS, where despite an exponentially greater amount of practice/training/direction/comfort/"skill", i have still yet to reach 1300 (got my first s12 this week though! soooooon!).

the same experience with the m-roll, which i've played no more than a dozen times with world, but still managed to complete, compared to the hundreds of classic m-rolls that i've failed failed failed failed failed.

i don't mean to say that it's not worth competing in World, or that i feel doing so is a waste of time, just that from what i can figure, if you want to take World seriously, you skip over a lot of the requisite skill to complete the modes and reach the top grades, and move right into time attack (where you'll have to fill in all of that requisite skill and experience in order to perform well). this is sort of contrary to what i think people really like about Ti, and TGM in general, and that is the feeling that a better grade really does mark a better game, with a linear progression that feels relevant. (the m-roll kind of fucks this up, sort of an unrelated minigame that for some reason validates or invalidates the real game, but i say that from a bitter, bad-at-the-m-roll place, and if i ever get better at it, maybe i'll start appreciating it.)

people often take world less seriously because the first 2 games don't offer it as an option, so your effort is sort of wasted if you're interested in playing those. there's also this kind of a feeling that you're almost "disrespecting" those games, which i think a lot of people (myself included) find to be very special. especially when compared to, say, Tetris Worlds. (*sezzy voice*: "go for a tetris.")

i like playing world sometimes, though, just like i sometimes really like playing TOJ, and i think i'll probably end up trying very hard to do well at some point.

and serious congrats on your MM/S13! beat kevin to the GM!

12. Wow, mat, you have made me as happy as I've ever been visiting the tetrisconcept forums. Thank you! And I mean that honestly. :)

Everything you have wrote, I agree with one-hundred percent. And quite honestly, I have not come to appreciate why ARS is so fantastic, up until recently. In a nutshell: ARS allows for a much greater speed and more impressive plays than at a master level, compared to SRS (but I'm sure you don't need me telling you this, you're the expert.) :p

This whole time I've been sitting here making a fool of myself by saying "I don't compete" or "I prefer SRS" because I played for leisure. But even only reaching an S5 in classic shirase, it's design is beautiful.

But anyhow, believe me when I say I didn't mean to piss anyone off by "disrespecting" prior TGM games/modes. :(

Anyhow, thank you for the congrats, and congrats to you as well on your S13 SRS/S12 ARS. That, sir, is very impressive! ^^

13. One thing that makes world really hard to me is trying to make simple moves. Most of the time the blocks appear on their flat side, and I feel like having to do a triple tap right or left to make a block go where I want it to go. That's the same disturbing feeling I have when I'm playing ARS at zero speeds. Fortunately for both, the timer gets lenient when it comes to this.

ARS is different, because of all the restrictions you can be sure there's a very very simple move that demands DAS+rotate and that's all. Of course, there are triple rotation inputs, but after a bit of practising it looks normal and can be performed really fast. ARS is a good example of "Rigor sets you free".

No disrespect at all though, I feel that people who can manage to play fluently on SRS are godlike poets, because I don't think there are simple and fast moves this often. When I see people breaking the ARS torikan with the SRS input, I applause.

14. I hear you on that note. It's funny, as ARS is upside down for me, as SRS is probably the same to you. But that shows the different styles of stacking when comparing the two rotation systems.

A good example: (ARS left image, SRS right)

[​IMG]

Now, I'm not too good of an ARS player so I might be wrong, but if I got a J piece, I'd probably place it so, in order to keep the 5th column the highest. In SRS, I'd place it far to the left, no need for any rotation. Obviously, both pieces can be placed anywhere wherever, but I'm just explaining, at least in my use, how I change depending on the rotation system.

But I hear you out when trying to apply simple moves with SRS. You'd never have the time to double rotate and DAS a piece into position on ARS, where SRS makes that possible. This is only one example on why I've (finally) come to see ARS as a great rotation system... it's fast, just takes some getting used too and a change in stacking style. :p

And those triple rotates are insane! The masters make it look easy gliding over the pieces during a triple rotate.

Sadly, however, my newest shirase record (5:59.20, my first sub-6 game! :D) does not break the ARS torikan, which is disappointing for me. :\ I think I break it at 2:32, I'll have to check. I'll be updating this thread with my newer record after I stop being lazy, take the screenshot and upload the video. :D

Thank you Qlex! :) And good luck to you in your shirase games!

Attached Files:

15. If it was Ti, with hold and floorkicks and whatnot, I'd go for the right hand placement, even if it was ARS. Hell, I'd probably make that placement on TAP as well. Keeping the fifth column high is important, but only because it gives you full accessibility of your stack. If your stack is pretty much entirely smooth and flat then you've got full accessibility anyway and the fifth column ceases to be quite as important. That and the left hand placement gives you far more trouble at high speeds when you can potentially miss IRS inputs.

16. [​IMG]

My first ever sub-6 minute game! Woohoo! Only thing left is World GM before really starting my ARS training. :) Ironically, the game's leader-board says the game was completed at 5:59.10, while the game itself was completed at 5:59.20. I do have a video of me playing, you can request the video link via PM or IRC. ^^

Achieved on July 7, 2011.

17. Key

Key

Congratulations, Steve! I look forward seeing your new achievements :)

18. Thanks Key! And to you as well! Hopefully I'll be able to show you guys some impressive ARS Shirase videos when I get a bit better at it. :)

19. This is the first time I post here ;)
    Grade: S8
    Level: 899
    Time: 03:53:18
    Date: 07/10/11
    Medals: Silver ST and SK.
    [​IMG]
    Regards...

Nahu

20. I would always take the flat placement at the left wall, regardless of game or rotation system. Good stack structure is a lot more important than a mobility option when you dont't need it. Every piece has a reasonable option off this stack, with the worst case being an overhang on S.