Records: [Ti] Master

Thread in 'Competition' started by Muf, 31 Jul 2008.

1. Muf

Muf

Well, boring to some, interesting to others, here's me playing rather sub-par, recorded last night.

YouTube - Road to Failure

Not quite road to Gm, but this'll have to do for now. [​IMG]

2. If you want, next time I need to clear out my Texmaster save file I'll just upload it first. There'll be tons of crappy replays in it.

3. The Enigmatic Form

The Enigmatic Form Unregistered

Great, thanks! I really like the way you are able to clean up your mistakes, thats something I really have to work on.

4. Muf

Muf

The most annoying thing about fixing up mistakes though is the time it takes to fix something. In this case the time penalty wasn't too much and I was still able to get the cools I needed, but often a single misdrop in 0-99 means missing the cool and not getting a speed boost in the next section. Very frustrating!

5. The Enigmatic Form

My biggest problem is that I usually create more mistakes while I fix others. [​IMG]

6. Aside from the best practice of just not making the mistakes in the first place, something that can be quite useful (and which I don't do nearly enough) is to be able to simply ignore the mistakes and stack over them. When you start getting several lines under your main body then you should consider clearing the mistakes, but if you've got one or two holes in the stack it's almost always more beneficial in Master modes to simply just stack over them and ignore them. Wasting an entire section digging them out by clearing doubles and singles is far more damaging to your overall score and time.

7. The Enigmatic Form

Thanks!
    I usually do this, its no problem in the beginning, but when the game gets really fast I just cant manage to clean the crap, Im not yet used to such speeds.

I nearly always get S1 now, and S2 every now and then. But the times are very bad, I really need to improve this.

Oh and by the way muf, did you play without logging in for the first few months with the game? 426 plays isnt much.

8. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Yeah, it'd probably look like someone harvesting fruit or catching fish in Animal Crossing. Just as it isn't wise to record and publish every second from 0 to finally paying off your character's house, it isn't wise to record and publish 0 to GM in a Tetris game.

9. Muf

Muf

Ive played a fair bit of games logged out, mainly when I wasnt yet consistent enough to maintain my decorations. I looked at the global game counter a while ago, and I think it said something like 800 plays total (including those of jagorochi and guests Ive had over playing the game). By now, almost all my games are logged in, except when Im really not even trying to play well. That said, I dont actually binge all that much on the machine. I try to play at least one or two games a day, but there have been weeks of not even powering it on.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Maybe these game was not that good, but at least I noticed that you can do this damn special move with the I, the double rotation to make it jump on the right column. I still can not do it since my trip in Waterloo. [​IMG]

11. Muf

Muf

Good to know there are still things that I can do that you can't [​IMG] Seriously though, that move is more of a curse; it promotes bad stacking (if you stack well you'll never need it), and it doesn't work in TGM and TAP.

12. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

No !

First you are wrong, c_t placed it on his 3rd or 1st DEATH Gm if I well remember.
    And second, you are wrong as well, this move is simply..Too much esthetic..

13. K

K

the I double rotation at level 247 in muf's video doesn't use floorkick. this move can be performed in TGM and TAP.
    in muf's case the IRS + double rotation wasn't required, but in this case yes. this move is not particularly aestetic, but necessary. [​IMG]

14. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nHfjc0xieIw

Level 347, but it was useless, just a tips used by c_t to get some dead micro secondes of thinking..
    I thought it was the same move, but not..

edit : the second you mentioned need a floorkick jago..
    Why are telling that it works on TAP ?
    After more reflexion I was wrong, we can do it on TAP..

edit 2 : c'est quoi qui te choque sur le forum ?

15. I find using that move myself during a TGM1 game once on average. Still pretty handy for getting an I to the left in Ti though.

16. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I agree with muf here. With 3 previews AND hold, you should not have to resort to such a technique. The only time I use it is when I accidentally take an I out of hold at the wrong time or in the wrong orientation, often due to either some mismanaged inputs or trislexia. In such scenarios, it tends to be more of a reflexive maneuver you've gained from experience rather than a strike of brilliance.

As for "aesthetics," I personally see good finesse as more aesthetically pleasing. No offense muf and ct, but that move was pretty pointless in both of your games and looked to me to be a reflexive recovery from an accidental IRS. [​IMG]

Anyhow, that's not to say that this move cannot be aesthetically pleasing in my book. It depends on the scenario. If the move is necessary and intentional, then it may qualify. By necessary, I mean that there was no practical way to avoid it from stacking differently, etc. This applies to the various crazy techniques you could do such as the triple rotations with the J/L, the double rotation of the T to traverse gaps, etc.

If you just think the execution of the technique is visually pleasing, then boy, you are in for a nightmare with Shirase. [​IMG]

17. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

For that last case, the proper move is to IRS the I while holding right,then rotate twice after moving while still holding right.

If you fail to IRS it, you can still use the floorkick in TI to get it over.

18. The Enigmatic Form

No idea how this happened, as I felt I was not playing good at all.
    [​IMG]

19. Muf

Muf

Code:
     3--The Enigmatic Form-----S4 - 786 @ 09:02:00 - 12/10/08 - SI   SI - None
    Infinity abuse much?

20. The Enigmatic Form

Good question, really.
    I panic every now and then and give a piece 3 or 4 rotations, but I never do it counsciously. Its not like I sometimes cant decide where to put a piece and then rotate it for a minute while I sip on my drink. [​IMG]

Sometimes I really wonder why my times are so slow.