The randomizer hates me!!!!

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Altimor, 23 Feb 2008.

1. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

I keep on playing T.A Death, only to be foiled by bad pieces. HOW DO I STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!

2. A proverb about a workman and his tools seem appropriate here..

3. Ghetto, a poor workman blames his tools.

4. Muf

Muf

Lmao, the TAP randomiser is one of the few that doesn't screw you over. Now if you were talking about bag or memoryless, it would be a different story...

5. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Seriously though, whenever my stack is full of spikes, an O piece comes. And sometimes a S or Z piece will get caught up if I have a spike in the center.

6. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

That is your problem.

7. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

It's quite rare though.

8. it's rare so it's not your problem? if it's not a problem then what's the problem? lol

9. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Yeah, that's rare. But this thing is almost like that one mode from Abandoned Bricks.

10. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Having a bad stack that can't accomodate pieces is the player's problem. In the rare chance where the player gets a "bad" sequence of tetrominoes:

1. Tetromino doesn't come when you expect it to.

2. Tetromino comes when you don't expect it to.

...he should know how to stack to compensate or recover.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

For every configuration and every tetriminos which are coming, (and I insist on the word "EVERY"), there is at least one appropriate placement or more, which can prevent of a disrupting of the stack..

I say "appropriate" but it means sometimes "less worst".

There is between approximatively 1 and 5 placements for one situation. During the game, when your brain detects the next tetriminos on the top of the screen, it sorts the few possible situations until he finds the best one..

2 main things :

1 : Even if you have the knowledge to find everytime the best placements, you are died by the too short values of ARE, lock delay, etc..

2 : you need more practice and experience to imagine better solution than you can currently perform..

some tips :

- when you know you have to do a hole, try to put it on the 1st or 10th column..More a hole is near from the wall, and more easily you can remove it..

-Don't hesitate to perform some useless singles to preserve the stability of your stack.

-For hard 20G, like DEATH 400-500, try to choose very short and simple moves, even if you create somes holes..Avoid to try technical and complicated moves ..

12. The only problem I have ever had was that J seems to come much more often then L.

13. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

Needs to go in a tetris T.A death bible.

14. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Suggest posting some replays and letting the masters here see what's wrong with yor stacking technique.

I do seem to become "one with the randomizer" less often with it, but i never feel it cheated me either.

With memoryless games, there are times i feel horribly cheated, and there are times where everything just seems to go my way for 255+ lines.

One of the rules of stacking is to always leave a spot for that pesky O piece (known to some as the "ass block"). making a stack full of spikes is a bad habit learned on memoryless games. People often do this because they figure if the randomizer decides to screw them anyway, they will lose no matter what they do, so they plan around it being nice to them. The fact that sometimes that plan actually works doesn't help things any. This strategy will not get you very far on T.A. Death.

When choosing between multiple perfect fits, generally the horizontal orientation is better, and generally the lower position is better. Of course, you need to get tetrises to score well, and always keep in mind the piece previews. A move that would normally be terrible can work out great if you know the piece you need to fix it is coming up.

Always keep in mind the state of the field after line clears. WHen the stack gets too high, be on the lookout for singles, doubles, and triples that uncover the holes they create within 1 or two moves. These often are needed to preserve the stack.

When a hole can only be filled by one specific piece, fill it as soon as the piece comes up, unless it is your tetris hole. If you are forced into creating a hole that requires an I to fill up, place the I there instead of in the tetris hole, EVEN IF THE TETRIS IS AVAILABLE NOW. THis is not true in memoryless bcause you never know if you will ever get another one, but TAP is fair, and you are virtually guaranteed to get another one within 12 pieces, and by then you should have the tetris hole open again if you had to cover it.

TO go with this, do not be afraid to create a single extra I hole if you need to to preserve the stack. While this can be a death sentence in clasical tetris, this game is more fair, and will give you the needed piece to fill it most of the time. Creating two extra ones, on the oter hand will quickly lead to your downfall in most cases.

15. Play a game like TetriNet, or N-Blox, which uses a pure randomiser and where it's not uncommon to get four or more of the same piece in a row.

Playing TNet the other day, I had an SZSZSSS start.

Then you start to appreciate just how generous the randomiser is on a game like TAP.

16. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

The reason I say this, is because the randomizer gives me the blocks when I least expect them, and out of shock I just place it in a random place.

17. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

You have a whole piece to deside what your going to do with the "surprise" blocks. Its not the randomizer's fault that you expect pieces.

18. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

I don't expect pieces, my brain just doesn't find the right place for them. Maybe it's just because of the pressure of high speeds.

19. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

Again, why are you blaming the randomizer for your own short comings? All you have to do is play and get used to it. Blaming the randomizer will not help your game play.

20. Actually, I would say that it is correct in memoryless. Learn to skim.

Oh, and it's always correct if you know you have a second I coming after the first one...