The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. Hello everyone!
    I'm Tigeneer (TIG/CIN/NEE), from Texas, USA!

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    Well, I've played Tetris since I could ever remember, but I haven't really got into it until just 4 months ago (>July 2018<). After playing a few games of Puyo Puyo tetris, eventually completing marathon mode for the first time, I started to want a bigger challenge, so I kept improving myself more and more until I could beat marathon consistently. At that point, I still felt like I could take this even further, so I did some research about different ways I could improve my Tetris skill, and I come across videos of the TGM series. Inspired by the delicious speeds and difficulty of all three games, I learn shortly after that one of my local arcades actually has TGM3, so that's where I started practicing that game! Since the four months I've been practicing, I've been able to reach the grade m4, with an instant "Pass" completed exam of S9 for World Rule, and plan to challenge the other m9 player who frequents the same cabinet. I also currently hold the fastest record for that cabinet on the Shirase side at 3:43:05, where I plan to soon break the torikan! (My initials as of today for that cabinet in Arcade UFO are TIG, CIN, and NEE)

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?
    Currently, I switch between Tetris Effect, Puyo Puyo Tetris, NES Tetris, Gameboy Tetris, Nullpomino, and Tetris Friends, including TGM3 from the arcade. I mostly stick to TGM3 though as I plan to become a Grand Master one day ;) .. I currently play almost whenever I have the time or down time. Basically, I wake up, play Tetris, eat food, play Tetris before I leave to work, think about Tetris as I work, visit the arcade after work to play Tetris, come home and practice on another version of Tetris, sleep and dream about Tetris. LOL.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?
    I also like to play a variety of other games from classic to modern, such as playing Sinistar at another arcade and playing Overwatch at home. I mostly play everything, and love to see new video games that release as time goes on.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    It's rare, but sometimes I touch a little on Puyo Puyo just to get some variety of puzzle games in my brain.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    Sometimes this forum pops up whenever I'm doing some research about tetris mechanics and records. I was also forwarded from tetrisdonequick(dot)com, which was a nice surprise :)

2. Hello and welcome to the forum! It seems you found out about it the same way I did :V

Good luck on the road to GM by the way! It's a path that will certainly have it's ups and downs yet it's also a path few people have reached the summit on. So attaining such would be quite the achievement. :)
    Also, next time you head down to UFO, feel free to take some pics of your PBs and post them to our various leaderboards!

3. DLo

DLo

Hi everyone!
    My name is David, but people call me Dave, or better yet - my nickname, DLo!

1. I started playing Tetris the year it came out for NES way back in 1989! I consider myself a fairly good player. I was a finalist in not only the 1990, but also the 1994 Nintendo World Championships, currently only 1 of 2 players (Mike Iarossi the other) to ever make finals in both competitions. I continued playing Tetris and other games from then until about 1999, at which time I had to deal with some family issues, and then life took it's course and I completely stopped playing... But now I'm BACK and more thrilled than ever!

2. Since getting back into the video game scene, I currently only play the NES classic version. I am currently playing 1-3 hours/day, and one time pulled a 12-hour straight session, which fried my brain! My all-time PB is 825,000 when I was young, however, since picking up the game again this past year (mid-summer) my current PB on record is 613,400 a/o 11/26/18 (156 lines into level 21).

3. For now, since Tetris was always my favorite, it's all I mainly play, aside from a little Tetris EA on mobile.
    4. I love any games that challenge the mind, "Unblock Me" & "Dr. Mario" to name a few!

5. I found out about Tetrisconcept via a Tetris & Facebook friend, Vince Clemente and a link posted on one of his threads by Alex Kerr.

My current Tetris goals are to get to the level I was at when I was young and max out, and to make at least a final 16 appearance in the CTWC!

Last edited: 27 Nov 2018
    Kitaru, Qlex, FreakyByte and 4 others like this.
  4. @David Lopez Hey there! Welcome on in! Your presence enriches us all!

DLo likes this.
  5. DLo

DLo

Glad to be here, thanks!

6. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I obviously knew about Tetris since a young teenager, but it was meeting User77376 (or whichever numbers he's using these days) in IRC that introduced me to TGM in November 2016. I started with Nullpomino, then switched to Texmaster & Shiromino, and didn't ever successfully try the MAME road and because i LOVE my keyboard (colemak and tiling wm user) i prefer playing on my PC to a cabinet. I'm not really a hardcore player, i just play for fun. Recently found out about the marvelous game LJ65, which is a perfect match for me because i love floorkicks and having only one preview and no hold. I don't consider myself a great player at all, maybe because my girlfriend who loves to play texmaster TA death is way better than me. We sometimes play 2-player-1-controller-Tetris, which is a great way to see how much one can blame the other :)

Mostly LJ65 and some Texmaster every now and then. These days i'm playing daily but it'll probably happen again that i lay Tetris aside for some months until the motivation comes back.

Apart from Tetris i play Roguelikes and some Quakestuff (that's how i met User23991: playing warsow).
    Favourite Roguelikes are Powder (haven't won it) and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (which i won many times by now).

I love Simon Tatham's puzzle-pack and play it quite frequently: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/
    it's wonderful really!!

People on IRC

Last edited: 3 Dec 2018
    Qlex, Kitaru and Raul1138 like this.
  7. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I've been playing Tetris ever since I was a little kid, but I got really into it after watching the 2015 agdq tetris block. The speed and accuracy amazed me and drove me to get better and attempt to rise above casual play. I'd consider myself to be better that most casual players, however within the actual community I feel like a complete beginner.

I play TAP, TI, Puyo Puyo Tetris, NullpoMino. I'd say I play a good 2 hours a day at least.

I play a bunch of different games ranging from the Dragonquest series, to games like Metal Gear Solid 5. Right now though I've been playing Don't Starve a bunch on the Switch.

Puyo Puyo, Tumblestone, those are the only puzzle games off the top of my head.

I Found this site years ago but forgot about it until recently. Now that I've made an account I can't wait to engage with a community of people who all love tetris as much as me!

Kitaru, Qlex and Raul1138 like this.