The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. DLo

DLo

Glad to be here, thanks!

2. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I obviously knew about Tetris since a young teenager, but it was meeting User77376 (or whichever numbers he's using these days) in IRC that introduced me to TGM in November 2016. I started with Nullpomino, then switched to Texmaster & Shiromino, and didn't ever successfully try the MAME road and because i LOVE my keyboard (colemak and tiling wm user) i prefer playing on my PC to a cabinet. I'm not really a hardcore player, i just play for fun. Recently found out about the marvelous game LJ65, which is a perfect match for me because i love floorkicks and having only one preview and no hold. I don't consider myself a great player at all, maybe because my girlfriend who loves to play texmaster TA death is way better than me. We sometimes play 2-player-1-controller-Tetris, which is a great way to see how much one can blame the other :)

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?
    Mostly LJ65 and some Texmaster every now and then. These days i'm playing daily but it'll probably happen again that i lay Tetris aside for some months until the motivation comes back.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?
    Apart from Tetris i play Roguelikes and some Quakestuff (that's how i met User23991: playing warsow).
    Favourite Roguelikes are Powder (haven't won it) and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (which i won many times by now).

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    I love Simon Tatham's puzzle-pack and play it quite frequently: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/
    it's wonderful really!!

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    People on IRC

Last edited: 3 Dec 2018
    Qlex, Kitaru and Raul1138 like this.
  3. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I've been playing Tetris ever since I was a little kid, but I got really into it after watching the 2015 agdq tetris block. The speed and accuracy amazed me and drove me to get better and attempt to rise above casual play. I'd consider myself to be better that most casual players, however within the actual community I feel like a complete beginner.

I play TAP, TI, Puyo Puyo Tetris, NullpoMino. I'd say I play a good 2 hours a day at least.

I play a bunch of different games ranging from the Dragonquest series, to games like Metal Gear Solid 5. Right now though I've been playing Don't Starve a bunch on the Switch.

Puyo Puyo, Tumblestone, those are the only puzzle games off the top of my head.

I Found this site years ago but forgot about it until recently. Now that I've made an account I can't wait to engage with a community of people who all love tetris as much as me!

Kitaru, Qlex and Raul1138 like this.
  4. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?

I started playing Tetris at university as a stress relief before exams and gradually became addicted. I'm not a complete beginner but not a great player either.

TGM, TAP, Puyo Puyo Tetris at least 1 hour a day.

DDR/Pump It Up/StepMania, pretty much everything Super Mario and Pokémon related, recently I fell in love with Beat Saber.

Rubik's cube and similar puzzles.

jezevec10, Kitaru, Qlex and 1 other person like this.
  5. Heyyyy what's goin' on, name's Asriel.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?
    I first played Tetris on a version developed for a satellite box casual game service in 2006 at the age of eight. I found it to be very good for my ADHD, and got into daily play when I was in the ninth grade on school computers, mostly to kill time. I don't think I'm amazing, but to give myself credit where it's due, I do have a Level 500 Game Clear on TGM1.

I'm a noted fan of the Tetris: The Grandmaster games and the NullpoMino client, and I also play PPT in spats. Anywhere from 2 to 3 hours a day depending on if I'm grinding out a goal or if my ADHD is acting up.

I play a lot of FPSes, survival games, and rhythm games. I'm the team lead on the Mania Hero project for the game Clone Hero, but intend on moving away from that scene as it's pretty hard to deal with right now. Been playing a lot of Apex Legends and Minecraft recently ^^

If it counts, I really enjoyed 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors while I played it, and intend to go back and finish the rest of its endings.

That one time TTC ripped off y'all's logo a couple years ago. Can't find it now, but it put the URL in my head.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2019
  6. Hey, the name's Elliott. I'm just a guy exploring the wild world of the internet.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?
    Back in around 2012, I was watching those videos of SirJeivus's incredible (at the time) TF replays. That spiraled from there into basically my obsession with the game. As for how good I am, I wouldn't consider myself one of the best but I'm pretty good at it.

Mainly Nullpo, Jstris and PPT, though I've dabbled with C2 for a while.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any) keep you busy?
    I'm pretty active on Tower Unite, for those who play that. I also play a lot of hardcore games and I'm kinda good at them.

Hey guys have yhou heard of a littlke game called bejeweled???

I've also dabbled in the Puzzle League games.

I've been on the Tetris Chatroom discord (which has links to Tetrisconcept) for a while now, but it's only now that I've decided to join, mainly to post my Carnival of Death scores.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2019
    jezevec10, Archina, Kitaru and 2 others like this.
  7. My name is Krzysztof, nicknamed Phor or Chris Zasada on the CTM Discord. 27 years old, born in Olsztyn, living currently in Poznań as "unemployed/freelancer". I am working at (soon-to-be-announced) Classic Tetris Poland Championship tournament and at gathering all the competitive NES tetris matches into one place.. Technically for ELO purposes, but knowing the "data-addict" side of me, it may went in many different ways.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I was a kid, I've had a typical made-in-china 9999-in-1 handheld, where Tetris was included. But if I would count my true interest in playing Tetris, I should say that I started about January 2019.

NES, NTSC/PAL, depending on the occasion. Most typically, I play NTSC using Nestopia in home, I play PAL on conventions whenever possible. Daily I try to play at least one hour.
    For now, I am not playing other Tetrises, despite having accounts here and there. I can't get used to the Holding option and T-Spins somehow.

UltraStar - competitive karaoke game. But in case of that game I am a hardcore player and organisator - I am travelling my country from convention to convention with my karaoke stand and also organize a UltraStar ELO ranking, in which I am currently 3rd. But the biggest convention in Poland is next week, so there is an opportunity to reach the first place. :)

Hmmm... I can't answer really well that. There are some games I enjoy, that encourages thinking, like RimWorld, Civilisation, Transport Tycoon Deluxe or Dwarf Fortress... I don't think they are puzzle games though. D:

As simple, as weird. I started to wonder, how many people reached the NES NTSC maxout and went here for data researching purposes. :)

Nice to meet you!
    [​IMG]

Kitaru, Archina, Tomek and 3 others like this.
  8. I made an account a few months ago but never really did anything with it except post one high score, but I think I'm actually coming to these forums more.

I am Dan, QZ are my last initials. I'm 17 and live in New Jersey. Even though I use TSpinQZ as my username, I don't actually play modern Tetris (which is more associated with t-spins). I enjoy the of classic kind, where spinning has no incentive, no reward, but is simply another tool in your arsenal to stay alive, and I absolutely love the feeling of spinning a piece at lvl19 speeds. I'm going to compete in the upcoming Pittsburg East Coast Qualifiers for the CTWC and if I win (unlikely), I hope to compete in the CTWC. My dream is to become the champion one day.

When the 2016 CTWC finals video went viral, I watched it, was intrigued, but didn't really get into Tetris until later, but I remembered I loved watching that video. I started playing Tetris out of boredom on my phone in late 2017. I discovered I loved it, and then later I got into NES Tetris where I became addicted.

I hypertap, and my current PB is 821k lvl 19 start, so I think I could put up a pretty good fight in a tournament but not be hailed as great just yet.

NES Tetris exclusively, a few times a week. I have tried other versions but I don't consistently play them.

3. What other games besides Tetris keep you busy?
    Overwatch is basically it. I don't have much very much time to play video games besides Tetris except on weekends. Plat Doomfist main lol.

My Minesweeper hard mode PB is 142 seconds.

I found you guys through the CTWC website high score list and I wanted to submit my own.

Kitaru, FreakyByte and CylinderKnot like this.
  9. Hi y'alls, a long time lurker but now finally posting :)

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

Dunno, about 25 years ago on my gameboy, but I've been very very on/off. I've had different period of play. I played a lot of Tetris friends rougly 7-8 years ago. At that time I started to be obssesed with TGM but my reflexes were simply not there so... I dropped at some point. I just got back into tetris rougly 1-2 month ago. I played a lot of Tetris 99, the Tetris on PSP to try to grind down my 40 line ( I got in the realm of 1:50 ). And then for some reason I tried back TGM1 ... And got hooked again... hard!!! :)

Do I consider myself a good player, not at all. Here is my best attempt ( old ) from a couple of days ago.

At the moment, I play mostly NDS_TGM on my DS due to the ease of playing everywhere! I do play a bit of Nullpo, Heboris & TGM1 on mame.

I throw spin tops...

I tried to get into puyo puyo and I can't really get into it. Might stick with Tetris Guideline & TGM

Google, I was searching where I could discuss about TGM and have some advices and here seem to be the place with the most active TGM player.

Cheers y'alls,
    paxl

Kitaru, xyrnq, Archina and 1 other person like this.
  10. 1. I think I started after watching the 2018 CTWC, so I've been playing for 7.5 months now. I consider myself a good player, but certainly not top level. My current PB in NES NTSC is 996,540.

2. I play NES Tetris. I also play online on JStris sometimes. I participate in Classic Tetris Monthly.

3. I speedrun Super Mario 63 (it's a fangame based on Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy).

This video is my former PB (current PB is about 2 seconds faster)

4. I'm a cuber, meaning I solve the Rubik's cube and similar puzzles.

5. I don't remember lol

Kitaru and Archina like this.
  11. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I've played Tetris casually since I can remember; the classic arcade version was my introduction to the series (polka music is fun :p). I played several other variants along the years (several MS-DOS versions, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Arcade, those 90s cheap chinese handheld games with 738472342 games). I was never really very good at it, but enjoyed stacking blocks.

For my "real" start though...a couple of years back (mid 2016?), I randomly stumbled upon AGDQ 2015. The TGM crew (KevinDDR, QLex, Kitaru, etc) blew my mind (and I probably wasn't alone in that :p). I spent half a year watching the old GDQ streams, and started following the event themselves.I then saw KAN doing what KAN does, and well...

By the end of 2016, I thought to myself "I should try this out at some point". And so I did; I downloaded the games for MAME (no jail pls) and started playing TAP (rather than TGM1, as any sensible person would). I started with Normal Mode, and I was barely able to get to 200. I remember thinking to myself "I'll never be that good, this is not possible". I remember just laughing out loud at myself after starting TA Death and not being able to stack more than a couple of blocks sensibly, after a couple of months of playing Normal and Master.

As the weeks and months went by, I consoled myself by thinking "Well, those guys can do it. It is the stick? Is it the PCB? Is it the GIT GUD?".

It was the latter apparently.

Since then up to today, I've completed:

TGM1 GM (to note, I did this after playing TAP for months, just thought I'd try my luck. Sure enough, after a day or two, I was there :p).
    TAP Master Mode + Fading Roll (S8, around 10:30)
    TAP TA Death 500 (Torikan)
    TGM3 Master Mode 7XX (S6; I haven't grinded this as much as Death/Shirase yet)
    TGM3 Shiraze 473 (which I did today, but I already had a 472 :p).

I should note that due to muscle memory stuff, I don't use hold on TGM3. My brain just cannot wrap itself around the mechanics for it. I do use the previews though.

So, I'm still not THAT good, but hey. I can at least now get TAP Normal to 300 :p.

As noted above, I fell in love with Arika's TGM series, and play exclusively TGM1, TAP and TGM3. I started playing TGM1 and TAP on MAME. I eventually migrated to Texmaster; I wanted to test TGM3, but didn't have any good way of doing so (since MAME does not support TGM3 due to the architecture), so I gave it a try and have been there ever since. As KevinDDR noted during GDQ, Arika's approach is the real deal as far as difficulty goes, and that stuck to me every since.

I do play on keyboard (at least for the time being; I have some Sanwa parts arriving when I get back from vacations to build a custom arcade joystick :D).

I've been playing daily in average since the start of 2017 (sometime between January and March, aprox). I might have spent a couple of straight weekends playing from wakeup to sleep (or until my wrist/fingers started to hurt, and then some), but nowadays I try to play just a few games per day at least.

I don't really have much time to play games nowadays (work, being an adult, etc); the reason Tetris has fit into my routine so well is precisely due to that: I've heard it's possible (hahaha) to play a quick Tetris game and leave it at that. Sometimes I don't really have/want to be playing something for hours, so the TGM variants are perfect to disconnect after a long stressful day, or just to pass 10-15 minutes at work or while waiting for stuff. But you can definitely play as much as you like :p.

I also play Magic: The Gathering, if that counts?

Not really.

The TGM crew at AGDQ plugged this site in (as well as the Wiki).

12. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I started playing Tetris since roughly 2010/2011, when Tetris was playable on Facebook. When I started, I was absolutely clueless. Couldn't even make a full Tetris. Gradually, the more I played, the more I started to adapt, and build my way up on the rankings on my friends list. I remember my sister being on top of the leaderboard. I also remember being ecstatic the moment I beat her score weeks later. Not long after, I'd beat whole marathons, I'd get better, my playstyle would be more efficient and I'd be faster at placing pieces.

I consider myself a decent player, although my friends would think I say that in modesty. I've submitted (to this current date) 4 Tetris world records on Twin Galaxies. They are as follows:

First one being Tetris & Dr. Mario (PAL version), highest score.
    2nd - Disney's Magical Tetris Challenge (PAL) on N64, Hard mode.
    3rd - Tetris on Android - Marathon
    And finally, Tetris Ultimate (3DS) Master Mode.

Those are probably my biggest triumphs so far, but nothing compared to Grand Masters rankings.

My choice of Tetris games changes from time to time. I've rather enjoyed playing Tetris Effect on PSVR. I'll always give Master Mode a few tries.
    I don't play Puyo Puyo Tetris as much anymore after scaring my friends off from every playing against me again. They have a lot of trouble beating me in 3-v-1's.
    I really want to try the TGM games, but I have no proper access to them so I can play them regularly, without emulation as well.
    I'm in and out of the NES Tetris as well.

Usually anything with a Master Mode, I'll end up playing.

I'm a huge fan of rhythm games, particularly DDR and, my current favourite, Beat Saber. Learning a song on Expert+ can be rather satisfying!
    Mostly I'll play various games on the Nintendo Switch as well, such as Pokémon and occasionally Smash.
    You'll also find me in my local arcade playing Space Invaders Frenzy. Surprisingly not banned yet after learning to get jackpots almost every time and winning Switches on the cheap to sell to my mates.

None in particular that stand out for me...Picross makes a nice passtime on rare occasions. You'll sometimes see me playing some Puyo Puyo as well.

Just now, after reading an article interviewing KevinDDR about how he became a Tetris Grand Master. One of his recommendations was to visit this site. I thought this would be a great opportunity to see fellow players and see if I can seize any opportunities such as events that come up, especially any here in the UK!

That's just about everything I can think of. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

FreakyByte, Kitaru and Archina like this.
  13. Great to see another UK player! Whereabouts are you based? If you're close, @Archina and I may be able to hook you up :)

14. I'm in the North East. I'd still be willing to travel just for some practice!

15. If you're able to come down to Derbyshire on a weekend or Wednesday over the next couple months give us a call and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out

16. Yeah, both of us are in the East Midlands. Oli owns a copy of TGM1 whereas I own a copy of all three games. Neither of us own cabinets yet we both have good CRTs to play on with multiple arcade sticks. There's also tons of other Tetris stuff I have if you'd like to have a go at them (SEGA Tetris for DC + Naomi, 1988 SEGA Tetris, loads of JP PS1 Tetris games, both PAL and NTSC NES Tetris (both RGB modded), ect.

17. Blimey! I'd love to have a go on the TGM's myself. Farthest I've gotten on a MAME'd TGM2 (I presume that doesn't exactly count as frame rate isn't as consistent) was S8, which I managed during a retro convention earlier last weekend. I'm yet to get past invisible credits.

18. Personally I'd say it depends on the PC itself. Assuming the PC is strong enough to emulate without lag, I'd say it's fair game. There are people who think playing at 60Hz instead of the real 61.681173Hz is cheating (a little over a 2% difference in speed) yet I personally am not too fussed.

19. Yeah, it's understandable why MAME and legit versions are under a different category.
    I realise if I ever hit GM on a MAME version, it won't really count, but I'll count it as progress all the same.

20. fwiw, you can get versions of MAME that run the game at full speed (see tab -> game information, check refresh rate)