The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. Hello everyone,

My name is Davy and I'm 30 years old. I live in The Netherlands and got into NES again with some friends for the nostalgia of it.
    I never really got into tetris before when I was younger but after playing it again it made me curious about what the game had to offer and after browsing around the content I found out about all the championships, the streams and the wonderfull community.
    Pretty much binged the whole thing last winter, and I am now playing tetris since october 2017.

I've been playing a lot of league of legends the past years and I think the best days we had online were around the ut99 and diablo 2 times.
    The rest of my gaming I try to spend time just playing boardgames, rpg's and some co-ops or singleplayers.
    it feels bad in my opinion that gaming communities nowadays are getting pretty salty and sometimes even toxic so for this reason I went looking for new games.
    And with a crt collecting dust on my attic and my recent NES experience , tetris wasn't a very hard choice.

So a big shout out to everyone here is in place! To all the champions and the players (not gonna go into names because I'm going to regret forgetting someone ;)) and the whole tetris community which has been, if only it has been from a distance, very enjoyable for me :).

A prime example of how things should be and a thank you to everyone for letting me be part of this!

Qlex, Raul1138, FreakyByte and 4 others like this.
  2. Hey everyone !
    I'm Will aka PorCus, a 41yo Swiss guy, trying to find ways to play TGM* . I do network stuff in the DFZ [1] for my day job, I'm a DJ, also doing stuff in many non-profit organization and if my life is not busy enough, I also wrote a SF novel (in French, no pdf version available yet ;) ) .

Hope to find ways to get into that game, and hopefully improve if I can balance my time right for improvement ;)

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?

I discovered that game with the Gameboy around the begging of the 90s when I was around 14 or 15, and played a lot with the linked feature. I won't say I'm a great player, I'm just decently ok, I could beat some younger people at some hacker conference when I was actually not exactly drinking only water. So I suppose I have something that's almost a muscle memory for basic Tetris behaviour.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?
    I discovered I could run TAP on a Mame, and that TI will run in a Virtual Machine, so I will try to find more permanent hardware to play it. Has I don't have received the stick I ordered, I'm not pushing too much my time on that currently, but will some hours if I got a non-busy day. I also played a bit of Tetris Nes on Emu on my PSP.

3. What other games besides Tetris keep you busy?
    I currently have two games I play almost daily, Zombidle and Forge of Empires. I also want to re-run a Quake3 server to play with my friend from that era, when we organized some of the Lan Parties in Geneva.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    Didn't caught the mood on Dr.Mario, and cannot really remember if I played any other games in those mood. Not sure OpenTTD [2] counts as a puzzle ;)

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    Searching for TGM informations will at most of the points end up on this forum, so here am I ;)

Cheers !
    [1] DFZ : Default Free Zone, the place were the internet happens with the full routing table and no default route.
    [2] OpenTTD : Opensource version of Transport Tycoon

Kitaru, Qlex, Raul1138 and 3 others like this.
  3. It's not very often that I hear about someone else playing OpenTTD !

Qlex likes this.
  4. Hey everyone!

My name is Christopher and I'm a young 15yo and since I watched the TGM section in AGDQ2015 I started playing TAP on mame (that should be a hint of how long I've been playing TGM)
    I live on Mexico since I was 4 but I actually was born in the US, still I know just the basics of English so sometimes my words won't make sence because I won't know how to say what I want to say

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I started playing tetris because... I didn't had anything else to play on the go, the first tetris game I played was "Tetris POP" like in 2010, a tetris game for the old java phones, it's not a very known tetris game I believe, it also was just a demo also (I ended downloading the full version on internet), it is a mission based tetris game with a lot of game modes, I liked the game and I haven't played the game in years, I consider myself as a good player vs most people, vs the tetris community? just average

Right now I play a lot TGM3 Shirase (Classic) and less Master, I play almost all days, I rarely play TAP Master, when I skip days on TGM3 it's usually because I'm playing tetris friends, and because they have different rotation systems I get confused a bit if I keep changing between ARS and SRS

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?

I don't have any game consoles, and my pc is a potato so I don't have a lot of options, I play a lot the old doom online via doomseeker

PUYO PUYO! I actually got into the puyo puyo series a year before the International release of Puyo Puyo Tetris was announced (it felt kinda magical for me when it got announced) , I wanted to play Mean Bean Machine again and I ended on Puyo Nexus learning a lot about the original games, and became a fan in no time.
    PD : Draco best waifu

Searching for tetris communities and TGM info

Qlex, Raul1138, Archina and 4 others like this.
  5. Hi and welcome to the Tetrisconcept community! I hope you enjoy it here as much as everyone else is :D

To be honest, I've never even heard of that game before yet I tend to enjoy a lot of mission-based/more puzzle-heavy Tetris games and Tetris POP seems like a rather interesting game now that I've researched it a bit. Especially seeing as it pulls off some missions in ways I've never seen any other Tetris game would.

There is World Rule for TGM3 which is a lot more like the rotations you're used to in Tetris Friends, however that still doesn't solve the issue for TGM1 or TAP as those games are ARS only.

Qlex and HedgeRunSnc like this.
  6. Hello all.

John from Australia. Just got back into Tetris recently. I'm a pretty ordinary player, but I love competitive gaming of any type no matter how good the skill level is - it's about fun and improving your game.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

Played it pretty much casually since it first came out all those years ago, recently got back into it after watching all the CTWC vids on YouTube and also Ecstacy of Order - loved it.

Getting into NES at the moment, direct result of it being used for CTWC and also looking at running a competition here in Australia of a similar format - I'll get to that.

Play a lot of retro arcade games - current WR holder on Bump 'n' Jump Arcade and MAME. Preparing for the 2nd Aussie Kong Off at present, so trying to find time for some Donkey Kong.

Not too many, talking MAME / Arcade - Pipe Dreams is fantastic, but haven't touched that for a while.

Pointed in this direction by a couple of people over at Hard Drop forums who suggested I might be able to contact those responsible for the CTWC here.

Archina, Qlex, FreakyByte and 3 others like this.
  7. @Johnno73 Another Aussie! :D I'm a TGM player, but I love watching NES tetris. I haven't got into it myself yet because I would prefer to play on NTSC than PAL, but I'm having trouble finding an NTSC in Australia. Do you have any ideas on the easiest way to pick one up?

Also, I've watched some DK before, but not too much, is the Aussie Kong Off going to be streamed somewhere? Good luck with it! :) And good luck with organising an Australian type CTWC event, if it's somewhere near me I'd probably come and watch or even help out.

Johnno73, Qlex and Kitaru like this.
  8. Think the cheapest and easiest way is going to be to buy an NTSC NES from the USA, they'd be pretty cheap but postage will suck. Maybe find others like myself that would want one and go in on a group buy. Otherwise just buy several yourself and flip them when they arrive, you should get rid of them easily.

Local market I went to recently had 2nd hand PAL NES for $130 inc 2 controllers + power cables. Would have to see how that compares to buying in the US I guess. Ideally I/we would like to run the Tetris comp I have planned in NTSC if at all possible. Makes comparing apples with apples and also it has a bigger following and a lot bigger score list on sites like Twin Galaxies for those that submit.

Yeah Aussie Kong Off will be streamed, last years vids are still up for those who might be interested. The channel is twitch.tv/netherworldarcade. Aussie Kong Off 2 will be run the weekend of Nov 10-11, think streaming will start at about 10am which is EST not ADST as we living in the dark ages in Queensland during summer :) Bigger and better this year, 8 machines are planned and we will probably have 3 Million pt players and another 3-5 killscreen players on top of that qualifying.

Kitaru and xyrnq like this.
  9. Hey @Johnno73 I am also another Aussie player, watched your performance at the CTAC good to see more Aussie talent coming up in the NES scene. Would also be willing to help out in anyway with getting more Aussie tetris going on. I think the only real way to get NES Tetris to really have any chance of growing in Australia is to have it at an event like Pax or IEM Sydney or similar would be interesting but unfortunately with such a large country and low population I don't see a high competitive scene coming anytime soon.
    @xyrnq I got a ntsc modded to also play pal games from the states for about $50 USD just for a price reference for you but prices are always changing. Emulation is also pretty good for NES at this point

Kitaru and Qlex like this.
  10. I'm sad to say I'm a different Johnno from Brisbane. There is no way I could play anything like that :)

I am looking forward to seeing what Tetris talent can be found in Australia though. With my limited knowledge, there were some good players last night.

Kitaru and Qlex like this.
  11. Jii

Jii

People from gdq 2015 introduced me to tgm and made me thinking along lines "Oh, there's interesting tetris game out there that rewards speed and skillful play. Gotta try this!"

Pretty much only play tgm and it's clones. Sometimes playing more sometimes less.

Mainly I play games on pc and consoles. Some of my favourite games/franchises are: god hand, f-zero gx, SMT and ratchet and clank.
    Currently hype levels are pointing to devil may cry 5.

Not really
    If someone considers ace attorney series some sort of puzzle game then that. Tried puyo puyo but those combos you have to do hurt my brain and rarely play NES tetris.

Games done quick 2015 :V

Would be cool if there would be someone else playing tgm from Finland.

Kitaru, Qlex and HedgeRunSnc like this.
  12. Last I heard, there was a TGM1 cab at Sugoi in Helsinki.

13. the site also claims TGM3, fwiw!

14. Jii

Jii

Been there already and it's nice place. I'm not used to playing with stick though :rolleyes:

EnchantressOfNumbers and Qlex like this.
  15. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?

My cousin gave me NES Tetris back in the early 90s, and I immediately fell in love. I stopped playing once I got a SNES a few years later, and forgot about it until my early 20s when I dug it out of a box and started playing again. I soon found myself playing several hours every night, and got to the point where I was hitting 500-600k with regularity. Several years later, life got in the way (marriage, moves, kids) and I wasn't able to play as much as I would like. I ended up giving my console away to a friend, and haven't played in about eight years.

The CTWC got me interested again, so I bought a NES console (arriving later this week) and plan on dusting off my skills and getting back into the game. I'd love to be able to play in some qualifying contests, but I have a lot of practice to do before I can get back to that level and not embarrass myself. Assuming I can carve out the time and get back to the level I was at nearly 10 years ago, I would consider myself a good, not quite great, player.

I only play NES Tetris, and once I get my new setup I plan to play at least an hour or more every day.

3. What other games besides Tetris keep you busy?

Threes and 1010 on iOS. I don't have any other consoles. My son has a Switch, but he never lets me play it.

The aforementioned 1010.

Saw it mentioned a few times on the Hard Drop forums and r/tetris

Raul1138 likes this.