The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. Welcome! I think most people including me use Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) to record their play or stream it live. The correct subforum for getting feedback would be the strategy one. I'm sure there are a lot of people who like to help you out. :)
    Of course, anyone is encouraged is post their progress on the leaderboards. :D

2. Hi all, I'm Felix. I live in Montreal, were the poutine is great and people speak french. I'm not offended if you call me "noob".

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I've been playing tetris all my life, my first copies were Tetris and Tengen Tetris on NES. I wasn't hooked until Tetris DS, though, which I bought after reading on forums how good it was. Glad I picked it up! I always carry it on me now when I'm at conventions. I consider myself just barely ok, but I'd like to get better.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?
    I had always wanted to play TGM, but never could because the emulation was too bad. I recently found out about Texmaster and it's my favorite version of Tetris so far (one day, I'll play the real ones!). Other than that, I still adore Tetris DS, and found new appreciation for Tetris DX on the game boy color.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?
    Stepmania. If any of you out there are into this, I spent 9 years on FlashFlashRevolution making songs and becoming better at the game. It's like tetris... but upside down! Aside from that, SHMUPS! My favorite games of all time (nostalgia probably) are Rocket Knight Adventures and Atomic Runner for the Sega Genesis. My favorite shmups are Rayforce and Einhander. And Crimzon Clover, And Fever SOS. And R-Type III. And Ikaruga. And Radiant Silvergun. And... gah, there's so many x(

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    Intelligent Qube on Ps1 even though I suck at it. I really enjoyed Polarium on the DS, as well as Picross. Surprisingly, outside of Tetris, I don't really dig puzzle games. I'm too impatient.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    Looking about info for Texmaster. I was surprised to see this is were the greats (English-speaking, at least!) hung out. Glad to be here. :)

Last edited: 26 Mar 2017
    Qlex, Betelgeuse, Kitaru and 3 others like this.
  3. Woo, yet another Aussie! I try to stream when I can, so if you're after someone to watch, drop by! I like streaming of a morning on weekends, meaning whenever I wake up and get coffee, so it's sometimes actually afternoon. It should be better time for viewing than most of the Europeans though :) Welcome! :D

4. Je l'parle aussi. Je ne suis pas le meilleure, parce que mon vocabulaire n'est pas trés bon, mais... ...je l'parle. ...un peu.
    ...hopefully, that translates fine on Google Translate.

Anyway, welcome, glad to see you on board, and hope to see updates. :D

5. meilleur* if you are a man, or la* meilleure if you are a girl, otherwise your french seems good! Nice job, Google Translate :)

Thanks, I'll try to provide some! Right now I'm starting with TGM1 in Texmaster, trying to make my way to level 1000. I usually have a hard time passed 400, but I ordered a new Qanba Carbon stick which I intend to modify with my (first!) Sanwa parts. I'm super excited.

6. Thanks. Sorry, it's been YEARS since I was last in a French class.

As to the new setup, good luck!

7. Hello, I'm garbanzoguy.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I played the NES version a few times in my childhood, but I didn't get into it seriously until after SGDQ 2016, when I decided that I wanted to try TGM for myself. I've been playing for about 7 months, and consider myself a pretty good player, but I still need to pick up more on overhang strategies and 20G stacking. I play Texmaster, and my current PB on TGM is S4/541, and on TAP Death it is level 212.

I play Texmaster(mainly TGM1 and TAP Death mode) probably around 10 or so hours a week, and occasionally have spurts where I don't play as much.

Probably Super Mario World and other various SNES platformers.

I used to really enjoy playing Lemmings custom levels, and Puyo Puyo. I don't play those as much now, though.

I found it when searching for texmaster.

Qlex, Kitaru, Omio9999 and 1 other person like this.
  8. God damn do I miss Poutine Lafayette

9. Hi, I'm Freya. ;D

I first played it back on the GameBoy, then many years later I played a lot of Tetris DS. One day I came across that one viral video of TAP Death, and got into playing TGM in general on and off for the past few years. Very recently I decided to get a decent fight stick to try at TGM for real. And as for whether I'm a great player, hell no, lmao. I'm only like.. qualified S1 in Ti, and I get wrecked in TAP.

I mainly play Ti (via emulator), and Texmaster if I want to speed practice. Aside from that, I also play Puyo Puyo Tetris, and I enjoy both game types in it.

Most Bemani games (Pop'n, SDVX, IIDX, and DDR), Dark Souls, and a few others.

I really, really like Puzzle League. I've played it for many years. More recently, I've been doing a lot of practice with Puyo Puyo.

Found it while looking for stuff for Texmaster, lol.

Qlex, JBroms and deeden like this.
  10. Texmaster bringin' the boiz and grillz to the yard! :D

11. Hi, hello, you can call me ft if you like.

I think the first time I played Tetris was back when I was like 7 or 8, when I had one of those 100-in-1 Game Boy knockoffs. Never considered myself that great, but in recent years I found that you could do considerably worse than how I typically fared.

After seeing the GDQ Tetris blocks I wanted to get into TGM, but didn't think there was a decent method of doing so on macOS. Only a couple of weeks ago I found a good download of NullpoMino (also a version of Texmaster, but I just didn't want to deal with the CS graphics and sounds or bother swapping them out) so I've been practicing a little each day through that. I may give a couple of the other modes in it a try at some point. Other than that, I've been recently playing Puyo Puyo Tetris and am trying to cope with switching between rotation systems, as well as learning to actually make large chains consistently. And I also regularly play Tetris Battle Gaiden on the Super Nintendo, my favourite fighting game.

I try to play a lot of games, of a lot of different kinds, though I tend to wind up playing a lot of puzzle games and Metroid-style games, typically in the Dark Souls vein these days. I also play Smash Brothers a lot.

Any other block/puzzle games I enjoy? In a word, yes.

I found TC like a year ago probably while idly looking for info on how to play TGM and what arcade stick is worth getting. Only now felt like I'd have anything to contribute.

Qlex and Kitaru like this.
  12. Nullpo is known to have input issues with ARS modes (Classic# rulesets) especially at 20G. Texmaster better simulates the TGM experience.

Tetris Battle Gaiden is a great game, one that I definitely want to play more myself.

13. Are there any examples? I'm obviously inexperienced, but I don't think I've experienced any incorrect or dropped inputs yet. Unfortunate all the same, it really seems like it was intended to be the last block falling puzzle game anybody would need. Is there a texture/sounds pack somewhere I can use for Texmaster?

Nothing quite like it; I meant to work with a guy on a translation patch at one point, but eventually I just stuck with explaining everything to people I would show it to.

14. Termino Velocity is somewhere in the recent pages of the Texmaster thread.

15. From the very first post of the Special/Sudden Ti scoreboard:

16. That's the old version that doesn't work with the newest Texmaster

17. Ah, didn't know that. Sorry. Found the new one:

18. Actually the last version of Texmaster that works on macOS (at least on the thread OP) still uses WAV, so that's perfect for me, cheers!

19. Hello, my dudes.
    I posted my introduction here about 8 months ago and then I disappeared.
    Weeell, things happened, school went horribly and I had to study a lot. But here I am, finally!
    Today I finished soldering the Sanwa JLF contacts onto my arcadestick's board, set the thing to 4-way and BAM! I don't understand.
    No seriously, I don't understand... I thought TGM would feel so natural on a 4way jlf, but I'm finding myself seriously impaired.
    I guess it's just a matter of time & getting used to it :) (and my stacking still sucks hard.)

So... How are you boys doing ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

20. Not sure what you're used to, yet it took me about a month to transition from keyboard to stick on TGM3. It felt a bit weird at first yet now using stick is second nature to me (even if the transition from SRS to ARS never fully went through. Gotta play using BAC for buttons instead of ABC.)