The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. you're the person in the bms discord, right?
    what's your username on it? (i'm assuming dolphin's group)

2. "justice is my waifu"

JBroms likes this.
  3. ahahahahahaha
    lol welcome, you can guess who i am

4. i wonder whoooooooo

5. Glad to see that you've joined up! It's a shame that you won't be able to make it to Arcade Legacy on Saturday but I'm going to do my best to help them find a PCB. I make it into Ohio quite often for anime cons and other events so I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point!

6. Muf

Muf

Sup kitsune_kun :V

You should try TAP (tgm2p) on MAME, it's arguably the best of the three and it runs well on any laptop from 2007 or newer. Welcome to the forum! :)

Kitaru likes this.
  7. Hello world, I'm new here so I should introduce myself in the introduction thread. So here I go ^^

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I've not really been playing Tetris seriously in my young life, but got into it in summer 2015, after a buddy of mine motivated me to watch SGDQ's Tetris block live. It was 4AM for me so I didn't want to at first and I just wanted to go to bed, but then I said "Okay, why not." and I didn't regret it at all. Seeing the grand masters play like this blew the bit of mind I had left, and I thought "I wanna be that good". So I got TGM1 and TGM2+ and I started training. I wouldn't say I'm a great player yet, but I feel like after a few months, I'm starting to get somewhere.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?
    Well, as you could say from the first answer, I'm mostly focusing on the Grand Master series, all three of them. Those actually take up a lot of my free time, from 30 minutes to maybe 6 hours a day. Basically depends if I'm in the mood for breaking blocks. I also bring my good old GBA in the train to play the original GameBoy version of the game while going to school. I also boot up Heboris or NullpoMino from time to time.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?
    Not much, to be honest. I do enjoy a couple other games from time to time, mostly indies like Boson X, Freedom Planet or oO, but when i'm not playing Tetris, I'm most likely programming, or just chatting with my friends. Rarely, but it happens, I boot up my old Mega Drive or my PS2 to play Sonic games.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    I enjoy playing Puyo Puyo (or Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine as we knew it in Europe) since I'm old enough to hold a Mega Drive controller. But I pretty much enjoy all block and puzzle games, even some slow-paced hard thinking inducing ones, like Hexcells.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    I don't really remember, but I assume it's from a very precise mix of SGDQ and the Tetris Wiki. But with time, I was thinking more and more about making my account, and as I started working on Tetris-related projects, I just thought "Oh well, might as well", and here I am!

Kitaru, Muf, Sumez and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hi there, i didn't introduce myself properly because i just bumrushed the forum doors to get to the TGM1 board deals, my bad.

My name is Francisco and i am from Portugal.
    I have been looking for a real board since i found out about the game some months before the first AGDQ performance coincidentally.

The gameplay hooked me straight away, and i never was much of a tetris fan, i liked the tetris theme more than the game.

I hope i can start my road to GM on TGM1 real soon.

Kitaru and Muf like this.
  9. Alright, so my handle is usually 'Omio9999' or 'Omio', and with a little digging on Google, you can find out who I am fast enough, but that doesn't matter right this second.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I started when I was really, really young, because the concept of putting blocks together appealed. So, on that end, I've probably been playing Tetris on-and-off for... ...oh, about 22 years? I figure with that much practice, I'm pretty decent, and I believe this should be a good pointer. Right now, on TGM3:TI, I'm standing on S3, and I struggle with pyramid stacking, which just murders my 20G survivability play. Once I get good enough at handling 20G, I might actually make GM otherwise, because I find myself needing to slow down lest I head into a section way too fast.
    So I like to think that I have the potential to be greater, and leave everyone else to gauge where I am for greatness.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?
    Oh, geez. WELP.
    I started with Tetris (NES) and Tengen's Tetris (NES), then progressed to Tetris+Dr. Mario (SNES), and thanks to the SNESOT community (that's currently down), I can add Super Tetris 3 (SNES). I'd previously used NullpoMino for my TGM/TGM3:TI practice, but have since switched to Texmaster. I'm hoping to get a more proper controller for TGM so I can see how it'll work.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?
    Minecraft, Robocraft, Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon, and oddly enough, Dark Souls.
    Minecraft keeps me busy because I host/run a LAN roleplay server. I also play on another server, but I want to keep my irrelevant links to a minimum.
    Robocraft appeals once again to my preference to construct, and it has a little more direct of a "my robo's better than yours" feeling.
    Tetris Attack is another one thanks to SNESOT, and it's because I make mostly good practice for all of the better players.
    Dark Souls is the odd one that appeals to my desire to be challenged.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    See listed above.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    I've known about Tetris Concept for a while now, but I think I first learned about Hard Drop and Tetris Concept through Tetris Friends.

EDIT: Added bold to the questions. Miiiiiiight help if I actually make things a little clearer to read. ^^;
    EDIT#2: New PB for TGM3:TI, screenshot is posted.

Last edited: 9 May 2016
    LOst and Kitaru like this.
  10. neat
    i'll track it down and try it

11. Whether TAP is the best of the three is definitely a highly subjective point of view.

Of course, I agree completedly. Fuck the Hold button :p

Qlex, Oshisaure and Tomek like this.
  12. I'd say that TGM3 might be more playable for newcomers with the World Rule and the hold for example. Still though, nothing will be as hard as TA Death mode to me cause the damn lack of floor kicks. I personally like TGM2's background animations and music better, so I guess that breaks the tie for me. ^^

13. don't try to get into tgm using not-tgm rules if you want to play seriously.
    i'd say play TAP or TGM1 first. the skills you get from playing Ti don't translate over to the others well, and the others will be the ones you'll be focusing on later. if you play too much Ti before anything else you become dependent on floorkicks and have to learn >1G again for TAP and TGM1, whereas if you learn base ARS from the first two games you'll have no issues.
    i'm not saying you shouldn't play world (kevin started on world afaik?), but if you play world to start with it doesn't help your TGM skill aside from learning how the game works. when you transition to playing classic, you'll have a bad time.

Last edited: 11 May 2016
    GyRo likes this.
  14. Yeah, I know right. I got like S5 in Ti and I can't get an S2 on TAP so I kinda noticed :p
    I actually started on TAP, but I still like playing Ti's World Rule from time to time... Maybe because I need more training on the classics, I don't know.

15. upload_2016-5-11_18-36-31.png
    grades are free in Ti. that s7 was probably equivalent to an s1 tap or something.

16. Probably because they had to fit like 15 more grades in the ranking system while still having GM rather at the same place skill-wise I think. Kinda like when you measure something in centimeters and in inches, you don't get the same value for the same thing.

17. grades are free because cools
    gm in Ti is extremely harder than TAP.

18. Oh yeah I forgot about that. I'm sorry, I'm a derp.

19. I honestly don't see how world rule and hold makes the game more "playable"? World rule is just broken, and Hold is a strange feature that might make the game "easier", but is also a new skill to learn as opposed to basic Tetris, which most people should be familiar with.

They are two somewhat different ways of playing Tetris, and while others might prefer Ti, I don't personally, and I don't think whether you're a newcomer should matter. What matters is what you expect from a Tetris game..

Kitaru likes this.
  20. personally i like hold

i started with world and had issues moving to classic but nullpomino practice seems to have mostly dealt with it

Kitaru likes this.