The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. Yo! Welcome to the site! :D

Seeing Kirby's Avalanche in your list of games reminded me of something. :) There is an arcade in San Francisco called SouthTown Arcade that has Puyo Puyo 2, which is the sequel to the game that Kirby's Avalanche and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine reskinned. It's an excellent place to play fighting games, but the presence of Tetris Grand Master 3, Puyo Puyo 2, Mr. Driller G, and Magical Drop 3 makes it a gem when it comes to niche puzzle games as well.

I used to play Arkanoid on an Apple IIGS way back when. I don't think I've ever 1CC'd it, though I think I did decently whenever I was able to avoid being stomped by Level 3. :V

2. Nice. That sounds like a cool arcade.
    Let me know if you head up there sometime.
    The only place I've played games in SF is the Musée Mécanique (which is awesome).

Does 1cc mean without continues? NES Arkanoid doesn't have them anyway. So, by virtue of not 1cc-ing it, I also... haven't beaten it. But you don't need to beat a game to count it as a favorite, I think.

3. For sure. :) I've been thinking of making another trip on some upcoming weekend, so I'll let you know what's up. We're also organizing a meet-up there during the summer when Amnesia comes to visit if you're interested.

Yeah, 1CC is 1 Credit Clear. The reason I mention it is I'm pretty sure I've forced myself through all the levels with continues on either the Apple IIGS version or when playing the arcade version in MAME. :p I agree that you can count a game as your favorite without having beaten it, though. :)

4. hi everyone! :D

1. i started playing tetris about 5-6 years ago when my cousin introduced tetris ds to me. i started playing PC tetris about 3 years ago, and have improved a lot since starting. i don't consider myself to be a great player, but i'd say i'm pretty decent.

2. to this day, i still play online tetris ds daily (rating at about 6500), but i usually play mostly on TF (yes, i know... it's so bad. lol). i play a lot of singleplayer nullpo also, but mostly 40L. i'll also occasionally log into blockbox to play a couple of 40L games. (also have texmaster, keyblox, TOP, and hangame, but don't play them as often.) i try to get around to playing tetris on the computer every day, and i'd say i average out at about 1.5 hours a day.

3. I enjoy many nintendo branded games like mario, zelda, and pokemon, but i also like other adventure-type rpgs such as tales of symphonia, golden sun, or okami.

4. i LOVED pokemon puzzle league as a kid. this is probably my next favorite block/puzzle game after tetris.

5. i knew about tetris concept for a while, through keeping up with new releases of nullpo (before it had its own url) and from the days of blink's old tf username, TC_Blink.

-baseballboy :D

5. Yo baseballboy, welcome to this side of the Tetris world. :)

I just sent you a challenge on King of Stackers. :3

6. Wow, they have Ti AND Mr. Driller G? My two favorite arcade games...what an awesome place! Even though I've mastered Driller G (perfect run on every stage of the game), I have many many years to go to do the same for TGM3.

7. oh yeah, i play KoS too. ;D haha i accepted. let's do this! :3

8. Hi everyone! Long time lurker here. Thought it would be fitting to finally post something in this thread.

I started by playing Tetris on my older brothers Gameboy, when I was like 7. I'm alright. I've gotten GM in TGM1 twice, but my play is pretty inconsistent. I have nerve damage in my hands, so I tend to play really badly after my first 3 or so games. On average, I rank around S5/S6.

I mostly just play TGM1, maybe 2-4 hours a week. I also play T.A Death, and TAP Master from time to time. I used to play Tetris DS a lot, but it's no longer challenging.

I usually only play games that have a high difficulty level, lots of arcade classics and NES/SNES era games, and some new games too, like Zelda, Donkey Kong Country Returns, VVVVVV. Lately, I've been playing a lot of Contra 4 [DS], Flicky [Arcade], and Donkey Kong [Arcade].

I used to play Planet Puzzle League, until it got too easy.

I Googled :)

9. Well you sound like a cool person! I think I already said it but make sure to come to the next event at either the Seattle TGM Headquarters or one of our on-site TGM setups! :)

10. Is there a set date for the next meetup? If I have the details, I can try to work it into my schedule :)

11. Just curious about why the FC Twin was disorienting? I bought one to play NES Tetris on so I could play while I waited for repair parts to come for my real NES. Plus I just thought it would be cool to have a system that plays both NES and SNES games for use in a different room. Anyway, I really like the FC Twin, though the color palette seems slightly off for NES, it seems to have a clear, crisp, vibrant picture, and it certainly feels the same to me.

Nice to meet you, I am new to this site, too. I am an NES Tetris junkie, but play other versions occasionally. NES and SNES Tetris take up most of my time lately--about 85% NES and 15% SNES, maybe 90/10.

12. The controller is set up like a SNES controller.
    Unlike the SNES version of Tetris & Dr. Mario which maps B to B and A to A, FC Twin NES Tetris maps Y to B and B to A. (X & A are turbos... so if you accidentally click them, it's worse than if they did nothing)

I've also found that the D-pad controls on the FC Twin aren't as isolated as they should be. Sometimes I click a direction and it triggers one next to it as well. I'm not sure if this is a console problem, or if it would be fixed by using real SNES controllers with it.

Thankfully it doesn't make as big a difference in Tetris as it does with some games (because up doesn't do anything anyway, and an accidental triggering of down isn't terribly harmful). Playing NES Pac-Man on the FC Twin is a nightmare, though... too often I'm running from a ghost, want to make the next turn, and instead 180 right into him.
    I've also had a hard time playing Mario 2 on it because I fall off the ladders randomly.

13. Ah, I see. I used an SNES controller with mine the first time I used it, and that is all I ever used. The cord length of the FC Twin controller was at least a foot shorter, and too short for me to play comfortably from the couch :p

Regarding the D-Pad using a SNES controller, I have played a few different games and never had any trouble with NES or SNES games. As far as the A-B button layout, that does bother me sometimes.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2012
  14. Hi everybody! New old user here :)

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I started playing TGM on ZiNC after watching that classic Japan finals video. I used to play quite intensive but after attaining Gm on TGM1, I sort of slowed down and eventually forgot about playing this this wonderful game, despite even owning a TGM2+ PCB and a supergun. Weird, yes I know....
    I do not consider myself a great player, but I consider it great to play :)

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?
    TGM1 and TGM2. I recently started to play this game again after several years of nothingness. Right now I play a lot. :)

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?
    Been playing a bit of Wargame: European Escalation recently. Most PC games are not long lasting enough to mention, but I spent a fair amount of time on CS and that kind of crap.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    Not really, most of them feel to me as just dumbed down version of tetris. The classic Columns is pretty nice but I lack any sort of even remote skill in that game.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    I used to be a member of this forum like five years ago (just saw my old Gm score is still here, wow!), but then something happened with the forum and at the same time I sort of slowed down and eventually stopped playing. As recent as a few weeks ago, I saw some guy selling a real arcade cabinet (New Astro City) and another guy selling a TGM1 board. I got both of them and now they both live happily in my apartment. Currently I have the TGM1 in the cabinet because I do not get as humiliated by it as I do with TGM2, and also now I am trying to get back into things again so I am starting from the beginning. Managed two Gm's so far :)

Cheers from Sweden. Oh, and if you happen pass by a town called Umeå one day, let me know. There is a game waiting... and perhaps a few cold beverages as well.

/Leffe

15. Welcome back! Though I don't think you were around when I started coming here...

16. Thanks a lot and nice to meet you :)

17. Muf

Muf

Welcome back, Leffe! Brought a smile to my face when I saw your name in the "latest post by" heading on the forum listing. :)

18. Howdy Muf! How nice to see you still around. :awe:

A lot of familiar names are still here I see, but Colour_thief stopped? His last post seems to be from 2010 when checking his profile. And same for L0st?

Cheers bud!

19. Muf

Muf

colour_thief grew a distaste for the sense of entitlement he felt the community was starting to develop, specifically in relation to Mihara, TGM4, and clones (where Mihara posed the third-cause fallacy that there could be no TGM4 while clones exist, because clones undermine the success of official TGM games, with the third cause being that nobody outside of Japan has proper access to TGM, therefore clones exist to fill the gap), and decided to take an indefinite break from Tetris (or at least from participating in the Tetris community).

L0st seems to have returned to his passion for Sonic games, and consequently has been away from TC.

20. Thanks for explaining.
    It is a pity to hear they are not here anymore but now I know why and I can understand both reasons. colour_thief was very encouraging and helped me a lot to get started and learn how to play.

Anyway, time for some tetris!