TGM3 on pc?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by schnappy, 15 Sep 2007.

1. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

Hi all,

I'm wanting to get into the great game of tetris. Looking at all those crazy asians play TGM3, i'm wanting to play that same version since it does have all the eye candy and stuff.

But i'm restricted to the western worlds where arcades are expensive, and don't have TGM.

So is there anyway way to play TGM2 or TGM3 on pc?

2. Always nice to see a new player eager to get into the series. [​IMG]

TGM1 can be played using ZiNc. Both the emulator, a good frontend (google Aldo's) and the Rom can be found pretty easily through Google.

TGM2 needs either Mame 0.99u4, or it needs a cracked version like Mame Plus Plus! The latter is extremely easy to find. (Try the downloads page here.)

The Rom is less so. It's not openly available as a download, though if you PM me, I might be able to help.

To play TGM3, you need to either go to a japanese arcade that has it, or to import an actual arcade machine, because so far it's not open to direct emulation, though Heboris apparently has modes with similar settings.

3. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

i've got TGM1 running through ZiNc, but the controls don't work properly and it seems like any other tetris game.

Ill give tgm2 a go.

4. It isn't. That was also my first impression, but it really isn't. In fact, all the gameplay foundation of the TGM series was already here in TGM1 (lock delay, 20G, IRS, randomizer). What was added in TGM2 was a slight tweak on the randomizer, the sonic drop (+zangi moves), and a lot harder grade system.

5. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

Well, for me, I don't really know anything about the mechanics of Tetris yet. ATM I'm after some eye candy and some noises that won't make my ears bleed. Yeah, probably sounds noobish and all, but what are you gonna do about it =P

6. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

The differences between TGM and other versions of tetris might not be immediately obvious, but spend some time with it, and you might find that there's no going back.

Imho, the 3 major differences between TGM and most other versions of tetris are:

1. The rotation system - TGM rotation is elegant, intuitive and challenging, whereas SRS and its now inherent infinity completely removes the challenge of survival in tetris.

2. The speed - if you've seen the videos on YouTube, then you know exactly what I mean. Bear in mind that TGM1 doesn't hit 20G until level 500, but you can force immediate 20G by entering the following code at the title screen after inserting a credit: down 8 times, C, B, A. Red text should appear in the bottom right to confirm you entered it correctly. Note that with the ridiculous SRS, you can survive 20G really easily, but with TGM rotation, it takes a certain level of mastery.

3. The Grade Recognition System - this is more a matter of opinion, but I personally feel that GRS is much more rewarding than measuring skilful play by score or lines alone.

If you're having difficulty setting up ZiNc, I'm sure that some kind soul on the forums will lend you a hand. In the meantime though, you could try it out on MAME, which actually doesn't run it too badly. There is the problem of the siren that doesn't cut out, but that can be remedied by copying this into your cheat.dat:

:tgmj:00300000:00185AA8:00000000:FFFFFFFF:No Siren

7. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

Yeah it worked fine with MPP, I'm still waiting for the above fella to get back to me on tgm2, but where exactly is the cheat.dat?

//edit

Well i've tracked down a copy of tgm2.zip. But I can't seam to get MPP to list it?

////edit

yay! i got tgm2 all up and running. Now... I need a 20 dollar arcade stick

8. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Go with the clone, Heboris UE. If you're new to the series, Heboris will provide you with the easy modes and the eye candy (possibly on par with TGM2, although not by default) that you desire.

http://www.tetrisconcept.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675

9. Unfortunately, when it comes to arcade sticks you really get what you pay for.

http://www.tetrisconcept.com/forum/view ... 1632#11623

If you take a look at the above post you can clearly see that, even with two different arcade sticks from the same maker (in this case the cheaper Hori Fighting Stick Wii versus the more expensive Hori Real Arcade Pro 3) - there's a significant difference in quality.

The Fighting Stick Wii uses a proprietary stick by Hori themselves, and it does look extremely cheap compared to the Real Arcade Pro 3 that uses a real arcade grade quality stick from Sanwa.

10. First see if you really like tetris and want to play for a long period. Then invest a bit more into a stick. I have a $20 stick and the plastic components make me cry when i use it [​IMG]

If you have a game console get a stick for that and use an adapter to connect it to the pc, that way you can use it for more then only tetris, or check more roms you like for mame [​IMG]

11. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

That's the thing; chances are it's only going to be a 5 minute wonder. I don't want to invest financially in it. i do realise you get what you pay for... and i can't find any one the net anyway. I'll just wait till I see one somewhere

12. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

GRS1 is score. Are you thinking of GRS2 (which apparently uses a counter that fills with big line clears and drains with active time) or GRS3 (which is still a mystery but appears to be based on low line clears, lack of holes, combos, or a combination thereof)?

13. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

I did indeed have GRS1 in mind when I made that statement. Even though grade is directly determined by score, they're not the same thing. The grades are discrete milestones that offer a more tangible measure of improvement, and as such it's more rewarding to push your grade up from S3 to S4 than it is to increase your score from 38,143 to 41,259. In fact, if the GRS wasn't present, I'm not sure that the game would have grabbed me at all. But anyway, I did say it was more a matter of opinion...

14. Seems my PM was a bit late then [​IMG]

Still, you need both tgm2.zip and tgm2p.zip to play Death mode.

15. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

16. Several players here have that exact stick, including myself. It's a great stick, although you may have issues adjusting to the bounceback if you're used to something stiffer.

If you do get it, the first thing you will want to do is follow this guide to change it to 4-way mode.

17. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

hmmmm....

In my room i just found a Sega Arcade Power Stick!!

For megadrive (or genisis, as you yanks call them). So, i'm gonna try and find a convertor for it

18. I have it. Is there an easy way to adjust the bounceback?

19. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

Hmmm...

I'm trying to decide whether to get a SVHG or make my own out of arcade parts and MBF. Making my own is a lot of trouble and very adventourous...