Texmaster

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Report, 29 Jan 2008.

1. K

K

I realise how much my behavior when playing TAP just suck. Kan told me my overall time attack technique is very good and fast. That's cool to hear that... but why can't i consistency beat the game ?

Thanks to Texmaster, i understood where was my problem. Trying to play fast fast fast, is no use. Only the consistency matter. and the recent (m roll) rules discovered by Edo also indicate that beating level 500 with a "crazy" sub 5min is useless if we can't hold the rythm until then end.

Recently i even was able to break level 500 in 4min29 but as always died like a shit on upper sections.... So yesterday i radicaly tried to change the behavior to simply : completing the game at any cost whatever the "time" is. Witch mean playing calmly whatever the situation is.

Results :3 times M, and 8 times S9 with only 3 times over 8:45...

my best completion so far is 8min11 (s7), but i will not play "time attack" any more until i get : consistency.

I think i've got almost everything needed to beat the game, and probably most of you too, the problem might come by the bad habit and default behavior we follow : trying the get the best time attack all the time...

i must stop to act as our famous French Formula 1 driver Jean Alesi (0,50 %), but more like Alain Prost (25,63 %)

the french will understood the joke :

" fond ! fond ! fond ! gravier...." (Rien ne sert de courir si on ne vois jamais la fin)

2. I laughed quite hard at that bit.

You're right though. If you time attack needlessly, you're only going to either die or fail to score enough Tetrises. Best option overall would be to go as fast as you are required to, or as fast as you are comfortable with.

3. Zeta

Zeta Unregistered

I like this one a lot. I may only be able to pull of a rank-3 on SPECIAL Ti (keep dying at 299/300 >.<), but at least I can see when I'm actually improving on my techniques and when I'm completely shooting myself in the foot (well, at least until level 150/200 or so).

one of the things I just end up doing is setting 1P to run a replay of my best run so far in a given mode and then play the same mode on 2P's side (using 2P controls) and seeing if I can't at least keep up or surpass that given performance. (this is done by selecting the mode on 2P side and then hitting F6 right after starting to set 1P's side to replay a performance)

I've got a couple hopefully simple requests:

1) allow replays to also be played on the 2P side (as opposed to only on the 1P side). that way, I don't have to remember two sets of controls.

2) allow secondary replay files for use with replays (I.E. see another person's replay without replacing your save file OR compare two different people's replays side-by-side, if my other request is implemented)

still, very good job here.

4. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Silly feature request time. Or maybe not so silly.

1) Ability to register for online tracking with username and password.

2) Once registered, you can log in with username and password and play a ranked game.

3) ranked games will have their replays uploaded.

presto. instant leaderboard.

Sorta like jewelry master does it.

And of course have the ability to download and view a replay from the leaderboard. Your best replay will always be the one uploaded. you beat your old replay, you move up on the leaderboard.

All you need is a replay verifier, and a bit of netcode. [​IMG]

Heck you could even make it start handing out promotional exams. [​IMG]

Maybe have it use your tetrisconcept username and password. [​IMG]

This would RULE.

5. Muf

Muf

Not really, you'd need a server too. And server software. And someone to write it all.

6. A far more humble request:

Implement grading in Normal. Please?

7. K

K

peoples really don't imagine what the only "network" word imply. [​IMG]
    but certainly not just a bit of netcode [​IMG]
    producing a game with a reliable gameplay is something enough complicated to consume you lot of time and effort. Adding netplay (and not just a posting score function) to your production might become very tricky, especially if it wasn't originaly designed for. And if you want a real server solution (putting aside the hardware implication), then your game (client) just become the visible part of the iceberg.

and even if you succeed on your task, you have to be well prepared to the pervert effect of the expected success : you have to "handle" the responsability that community put on you. [​IMG]

8. Zaphod77

Well, I wasn't asking for netplay, was I. [​IMG] Just an automated online leaderboard that stores your best ranking performance in each mode on a central server for viewing and validation.

I could probably do most of it except for the auto replay validator. heck, if I had a replay validator in binary or perl, I could hack up a web page where people could post replays for later download, sorted by rank pretty easily.

It would be much more convenient, though, if it were integrated into the program. Very little bandwidth would be required.

Again, go grab jewelry master, and you will see how it's supposed to work, and that it's a much simpler task then full netplay, and could be grafted on. While full netplay would be nice, it is a lot more work, as you have stated. A replay based score vaildator is going to be very hard to spoof if the client is closed source (which it is).

9. is there some more information about the record AVI function? I pressed F5 while playing, then F4... nothing really seemed to happen to my filesystem (Ubuntu GNU/Linux).

I am also a bit confused on how to use the "Replay" feature with renaming the .sav files.

Thanks guys. This is an awesome game.

10. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

AVI function only works on windows because it is built on top of non linux software.

11. ok thanks. I also noticed that after playing a game, I press F6 ... then F6 again and it brings me to the replay screen where I can replay recent sessions.

12. K

K

ah ah ah [​IMG][​IMG]

Report ! you're a genius !!!!!

thank you for this totally new and hided time attack mode !!!

when i discovered it i could'nt stop laughing [​IMG]
    (video to come)

13. K

K

i had to much problem with my connection today to successfully upload a video on youtube, so i better put here the replay file showing the flaw demonstration :

Special Ti --> M6 grade !

http://jagorochi.free.fr/Texmaster2009beta2.sav

how many time will you need to figure out WTF is going on ? [​IMG]

anyway this is really fun !

14. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Is your stack infinitely high? How are you doing that?

15. Haha, it seems bugs like that crop up in almost every Tetris implementation at one point or another. What is happening in this case is the row directly outside the playfield is being copied down after a line clear without being replaced by an empty row above it. The array is 21 rows and doesn't have any additional lines to copy down.

I had a similar bug in my clone at one point; it would copy down garbage text into the field since I was copying from outside the array. I tacked on a couple extra rows to be safe. I've also seen a demonstration of a similar bug in Sega Tetris. The field was set up in a way that a piece would spawn in a safe position that should clear a double, but the top row did not clear out! The next block overlapped this row of garbage and ended the game.

16. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

amazing jago !

tHANK you for the demo..I was seriously wondering how to get a higher rank than m2 on this damn texmaster.. [​IMG]

17. Zaphod77

you know it wold be really fun playing cascade on a clone with this bug. [​IMG]

18. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Why?

EDIT : Oh sweet mother of mercy.

19. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Even I've been bitten. In 1998, I developed QCarbon, a tetromino game written in QBasic. (I didn't learn C until next year when my high school slipped me a copy of Turbo C++.) If I remember correctly, I found and squashed the bug sometime around the time I put in recursive gravity. But then all Carbon Engine games used Tengen/TNT style top out rules (entry above ceiling, locking with any block above ceiling causes top out) and (prior to TOD) classic lockdown, so it was harder to trigger.

I just double-checked Lockjaw Engine five minutes ago, and it explicitly clears row 24 in at least naive gravity.

20. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

ZOMG Bug! In Special Ti it awards a +1 modifier to the grade at level *80, where as Ti doesn't award unless you complete the section! ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS! I cannot play my Ti special like this. [​IMG]