tetrisconcept no longer condones tetris clones

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 24 Sep 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that's... some money lol

2. It wouldn't surprise me if TGM games have never gotten a release outside Japan purely because Arika don't have anything like the money to pay for a global license, and TTC aren't willing to cut them any slack.

3. baha

I was so dead when I typed that, there are probably loads of errors. Yay insomnia :/

4. SYN7HOR

SYN7HOR Drama Queen

I say we need to make better clones.

Properly done with DirectX support and good multiplayer. Scoreboards, recording, spectating etc. It needn't be ridden with options like Nullpomino. Just some of the regular TGM modes, but well balanced and responsive.

Is that really so goddamn impossible? They can't shut down The pirate bay...

5. Muf

Muf

:AWE:

6. You mean GMO might actually exist at some point ever? :rolleyes:

7. Muf

Muf

You know we can't talk about that anymore now :p

8. Now that I think of it, though, if they did that it would give a certain legitimacy to cloners, and we all know Mihara doesn't want that.

9. I think it depends how much copyright and trade dress Arika can claim on their own games and how much of it is relayed back to TTC.

10. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Arika actually owns T.L.S. (ghost piece), I.R.S., and I.H.S.

They and BPS worked together on G.R.S. (grade recognition system)

Note that Magical Tetris Challenge actually got their T.L.S. (ghost piece) code from Arika, as they have an Arika credit on the TLS.

I think it's fair to say they own most of what make TGM TGM, and the rest can be traced back to Sega.

11. What I meant was that if they released a TGM game without a license from TTC, they'd essentially be selling a Tetris "clone", and therefore would no longer be able to complain if other people cloned TGM.

12. TVG

TVG

How could mihara complain about clones anyway since TGM is basically shimizu with grading and IRS?

Nothing would be a problem if Henk wasn't a dick and didn't bully mihara into shutting down clones.

13. This is kind of hilarious, the new game won't come out because of "infringement" so you ban discussion of clones. If you add that up you now have no new game, and no clones. Sounds pretty fail.

I probably don't understand the complexity of the problem though, and I'm glad because I'm not really affected.

14. i am illjain

i am illjain Unregistered

(not to the topic...) just asking what's the most popular "FREE"online tetris right now? i was using toj, but it seems it needs money to make me faster. and nullpomino and blockbox was what i played recently, they just don't seem to be popular. can somebody give me a good site?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Unregistered

the most popular by far is tetrisfriends.com but i lags and to get das and stuff so you can move faster you need to get rubies either by doing surveys, buying them, or just getting lucky in the lotto.

16. Advice: Don't play TF

Play Blockbox or Nullpo if you want no BS.

The only downside is that less people play, but it makes up for it in every other aspect.

17. TVG

TVG

Frankly tetris friends is decent with custom DAS. I'm actually biased since I don't like spins too much and like downstack combos, so TF rules suit me, but other than the lag it isn't bad. The lag is almost absent if you use the right browser too.

18. Yeah, I've barely experienced this "lag" everyone complains about. It'll spike maybe one piece every 10 games or so? It's no worse than any of the alternatives for me.

19. TVG

TVG

To be off topic, I'd say the best way to make more people interested in TGM, if that's anyone's goal, is NDS TGM. I know, it's illegal, it's bad etc. You'll never have any real port ever so who cares anyway.

Yeah, I can't count how many buckets I came when I discovered this existed. People like playing tetris on handhelds and barely anyone knows this one exists. Yeah there's LJ, but DS LJ is really, really ugly. And I mean really fucking ugly. I wish there was a way to change the skin a little because otherwise it's awesome for 40l.

20. All these arguments about "the bigger picture" might have some validity if Henk Rogers wasn't Kim Jong Il. Until he shows he's genuinely ready to recant, all he's doing is extorting you with false promises.

Rogers wants TGM dead, and now he's gotten the people who play clones to think they're the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.