Tetris n00b (compared to you guys) marathon question...

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Garett, 12 Jan 2012.

1. I decided that I wanted to complete a "perfect" marathon game of back-to-back tetris' on ps3 tetris before I posted here.

I was just wondering what the best strategy for getting a better score is. My global all-time marathon rank is 449 with a score of 706040... what is the best way to improve on this? My score pales in comparison to the higher ones! :'(

Is it t-spins?

Also, could someone link me to a page that explains the acronyms that are used among those in the community?

2. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

I don't actually own PS3 Tetris, so I'm hoping someone who does will correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, the marathon scoring is the same as in Tetris Friends and Tetris Splash, which means this video is what you need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISANNTEf3J0

As for the acronyms, there may be some old forum post that has a lot of them, or they might be on the wiki somewhere, but to be honest, it's easier and quicker just to ask. Are there any ones in particular you want clarified?

3. I forget if PS3 Tetris Marathon is a sensible 10-lines-per-level deal where you want to maximize tetrises and t-spins or a goofy "Goal" game where you're only supposed to do them at specific points and the rest of the game is singles...

http://tetrisconcept.net/wiki/Glossary is a good place to start with for acronyms and terms. It hasn't been touched for a while and has some silly archaic or peculiar ones in it, but it's worth a look if you're not familiar with an acronym or the like.

However, I agree with Edo -- it's probably easier to ask. :D

4. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

PS3 Tetris Marathon is a goal-based run. Going from level 1->2 takes a tiny number of lines (less than 10?) whereas 14->15 takes a huge number (75?). Also I think a Tetris is worth about 8 "lines" with regard to goal reaching.

I'm not at home now. I can put up more detailed information later, including a video if someone really wants something not currently available on youtube.

5. Ah thanks, that means the video Edo linked details the proper strategy. Yeah, the first Level is 5 "lines" (or Goal points in some versions), each of which takes ~100 points to consume... Without doing the abusive strategy, you're going to end up with just about the same amount of points every time.

Ugh, why can't that broken variant die already. :( It really just serves to confuse new players and it's not fun for veterans either.

6. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

To score well in marathon you have to do 3 things

1) hard and soft drop a lot. If the game is really stupid you can squeeze a ridiculous amount of extra points in by soft dropping, holding, then hard dropping every turn. This may or may not work in the PS3 version.
    2) abuse level stops by scoring a btb tsd (or TST if the game recognizes it) at 1 goal. This means you need to activate back to back before you hit 1 goal. Goal scored in excess of the needed goal is not carried over to the next level.
    3) abuse fractional goal by scoring as many single-single combos as possible (a single that follows a single single is worth 1.5 goal, which rounds down to 1 goal)

It is theoretically possible to stop both of these exploits in the system (track fractional goal and account for carryover). It remains to be seen if doing so would improve marathon.

7. Well, Zaphod, if you "fixed" those problems, then literally the only differences between two scores in a game would be the drop points and the amount you overshoot the ending goal by. So, all that would do is bring out the ridiculousness even further (i.e. you wouldn't be able to game the system, so the uniformity would be apparent).

Basically, variable goal is useless. No exceptions.

8. Hey thanks a lot guys!

This is a stupid goal based scoring system on ps3.

I have been practicing t-spin triples and they are going great!

I'm not sure if ps3 recognizes combos, seems like it only knows back-to-backs.

9. Ah i mean I've been working on btb tst.

I would like to be able to pull tsd out of nowhere like on the videos though.

10. It doesn't score combos for Versus, but it might for single player modes.

11. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

I ground this out for your reference.

[​IMG](I need something that can capture HD video)

Total lines: 235
    Singles: 1
    Doubles 2 (4)
    Triples: 2 (6)
    Tetrises: 56 (224)
    Back-to-backs: 53
    Longest back-to-back: 53
    Mini-Tspins: 6
    Mini-Tspins with single: 0

T-Spins: 0
    T-Spin singles, doubles & triples: 0
    Bravos: 0
    TPM: 63
    Duration: 8m41s
    Score: 693994
    Final level: 15

It was almost all tetrises to the end. Late in the last level I made a mistake and cleaned it up. I also milked the very last line clear for a tetris with a single and double in front of it since I had already botched up once.

So there's my score, and you can clearly see significantly better results in the leaderboard. All tetrises won't do it.

In my other practice runs I made non-clearing T-spins which cost 1 goal point but are worth some points.

12. My best is 1 single, 1 double, the rest tetrises. Barely broke 7 hundred thou.

I'll have to practice that video's strats some more...