Tetris DS quirks.

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Zaphod77, 12 Jan 2009.

1. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

I have discovered something very interesting about Tetris DS.

The order of processing appears to be

Gravity
    Movement
    Clockwise rotation
    Counterclockwise rotation.

This means it is possible to rotate twice in one frame. Just not the same direction.

I have confirmed that gravity is processed before rotation, and that both rotations are processed in one frame, and you can too.

Simply lie an I piece flat, and press both buttons at the same time. It will jump up into the air without ever becoming vertical, then drop back down instantly.

The important feature here is that you can use an SRS wallkick to force the piece into the air during 20g with a clockwise rotation, and then rotate the piece CCW in midair before gravity is processed, to grab onto some high ground. This can pop a piece out of a hole to a position it is otherwise impossible for it to reach from there.

While situations where this trick can be used are unlikely to coe\me up during actual play i've been able to come up with a situation where this trick is needed to get a piece to where you want it. Not sure if this works on ANY other guideline game.

http://eunich.cochems.com/~zaphod/fumen-eng/?m105@7dD3lbD3obA3ibA3kbA3ibA3hbD3ibA3hbD3pbKhBN?eaiwboUobpUtbAwNIADj88AQ7SeEEeYinboUgboUmboUZiA?cAwNJADl0SAS4YMEUBAAAEeoUoboUgbYiobYi/bAwNXADl0?SAS4YME0oo2A3u+1DFbsRCpVqCAQeoUYilboUhbYi+bAwNI?ANX7rDtIReE7eC+hBWYBacB

2. Nice. I originally noticed this when I found I couldn't kick in a way I used to be able to kick when I first started playing TDS. The kick I'm talking about is illustrated on the SRS wiki page.

3. Zaphod77

I don't see any kicks on that page,

Just an illustration of a non synchro.

Having tested as best asI can, i confirmed that traditional synchros can't be done. HOwever, it is theoretically possible to do other types of synchro.

I explained the double rotation synchro.

It's also possible to move a piece off the edge, and then rotate it so it latches onto the edge on the other side before it falls. that ould also qualify as a synchro.

If the two ations are done in the same frame, and gravity is not processed between them, it is a synchro.

The traditional one is move after rotate and before gravity, but it's easily possibel to do the other way, if the processing order is reversed. it's just that rot first then movement is more useful overall.

4. Right, that's what I meant. "Non synchro."

5. bakugan

bakugan Unregistered

6. Zaphod77

it's called a gameshark.

What i was discussing was not a cheat.

7. This quirk also exists in Tetris Friends, just be sure you try it at level 20. I wouldn't doubt that it exists in other guideline games, but I only have access to Tetris Friends and Tetris DS, so someone else will need to try it in other games.