Tetris Cup challenge

Thread in 'Locations & Events' started by caffeine, 21 Oct 2007.

1. Phoxinus quadrupulus?

2. "For the team tourney, we all got nintendo wiis..."

man i wish i could've participated. i hear mario galaxy is almost as good as tetris.

3. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

LIES!!!!!111one. Nothing is as good as Tetris. Hahahahahaha...

4. Guitar Hero III for the Wii does come close, though... :p

But yeah, I do need to work on avoiding overstacking. What with Handicap 1 being used for the tournament, though, there weren't that many opportunities to continuously work around it, instead providing for that "tennis" effect mentioned earlier. [​IMG]

As for BlockStats, I might stop by later on today.

5. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

only because they have dragonforce music in there...

6. massi4h

massi4h Unregistered

lol you are so right (although the concept of guitar hero is still super awesome).

Anyway just watched the individual finals videos. Why didn't you let the Traci chick win? I woulda [​IMG] Well watching her play she sorta knew how to tsd, but she completely ruined her stacking when doing it. She also was pretty slow and overstacked alot. The announcer isn't as tetrisless as he appears, he actually knew what t-spins are which really surprised me.

Also watched the team finals, awesomeness although there coulda been more targetting, but you guys did eliminate them pretty fast.

But yeah gg to you two and they said it's gonna go all over America. I wanna live in America now...

7. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

we didn't target because z-flo didn't want to. So respecting that request, we both just went "beast mode" and didn't bother to see who we'd hit. Lol.

8. Well, y'see, I promised my girlfriend either a trip or a TV, so... >.>;

As for targeting, I eventually decided that it would be a waste of time, not to mention effort on the alternate's part. If we waited for the blinking mark to hit a specific person, while we probably would have sunk the player in, we ourselves would have been vulnerable to an attack.

9. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

While it would be effective to take out a strong player by targeting with every team member, your opponents were not at the level for that to really make a difference. And if you were dealing with strong players, you wouldn't have much time to target effectively anyway.

10. gko

gko Unregistered

Did your friend (or anyone else) take footage of the earlier matches? I didn't get there until the semi-final rounds. [​IMG]

11. Look up "Tetris Cup" on YouTube. A friend of ours uploaded ... everything. >.>;

12. massi4h

massi4h Unregistered

Well from targetting experience, I'm pretty sure there's only a couple of seconds before changing to each player. So 1 player could get 3 b2b tetrises (lets just leave t-spins out of it) in a span of less than 10 seconds, there would obviously be some garbage cancelling involved on both sides, but it still does a lot of damage. You have to go a little bit slower, but you can get the job done a lot better. And then when you get down to the last person, it gets fun where you go 3, 2, 1, Tetris! and they die.

My friends started doing that to me in 5v1 when they started getting better (sorry I like to brag) so I had to start targetting people and even with t-spins I can direct them pretty well.

About the HC1 thing, does HC1 give more straight line garbage than HC2? I always thought it was the other way around so I always played with HC1. If HC2 makes more sense, then I better start telling my local tournaments, because the worst thing that can happen is I send one tst, then get triple tetrised right back.

13. gko

gko Unregistered

Just the semifinals on up, which I was present to watch. I'm curious about the earlier rounds ... so I can watch and think, "hey, I could beat that guy." [​IMG][​IMG]

14. YouTube user Kamitra uploadedthe tournament.

Massi4h, how often does your area (where?) hold local tournaments? What kinds of entry fees, etc., are there?

15. Wait.. Sony sponsored a Tetris DS competition?

16. massi4h

massi4h Unregistered

I live all the way in New Zealand (you may not know where that is lol). And there is only one tournament I know of and it's held every 3 months at a console gaming weekend in Auckland (the biggest city in New Zealand). $20 and you enter as many tournaments as you want, so I enter Halo and a couple others which I suck at, but I'm the reigning Tetris DS champion and I've won every tournament since it started [​IMG]

For rules if you wanna know, it's 1v1 HC1 no items. 16 players with 4 pools, top 2 from each pool go to single elimination which is based on seeding. Best of 5 for normal games and best of 7 for finals. Lotsa fun.

17. I KNOW WHERE NEW ZEALAND IS. [​IMG]

What if more than 16 people enter the Tetris tournament? Or is there just a cap?

18. massi4h

massi4h Unregistered

Oh OK lol. Normally I think first 16 entrants, but with the top 4 already enterered. I think we had 18 once and they were just put into pools of 5. Or something like that.

19. What kind of prizes or prize distribution?

20. massi4h

massi4h Unregistered

The prizes are supplied by Softprint (the Nintendo of New Zealand) for all the nintendo tournaments. Prize is normally just a game of choice of whatever nintendo console which is usually awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd (yeah first deserves more [​IMG]). I'll either get a game I want or just pick a new Wii game and then sell it which easily pays for the tournament (plus it's a weekend of heaps of fun) and I get some spare money. Not as big as I'd hope, but some good tetris competitions should be coming up in the future. Also recently, it's been changed for prizes to go out only to first place (and second in SSBM as that has a lot more players), but since I don't place top 3 in anything else, I stick with my prize for first place.