Tetris Cup challenge

Thread in 'Locations & Events' started by caffeine, 21 Oct 2007.

1. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Did the fall speed surpass 1G once both players had been playing long enough?

2. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

we couldn't really tell as the whole match (or most of it) was hard drops. I'd say that we went on for a good 3 to 4 minutes though. Best game of the year for me. Sadly, I lost, my friend z-flo here taking first. I got third only because we were in the same bracket, so best I could do was third. But I will say that I would've beaten the second place person anyways. The competition as far as battling was decent, but nothing spectacular. That staff member that I said was really good, was really good. We got to battle after the tourney and he beat me 3 games to 1. He was really good, I mean that honestly. It was an awesome tourney. Hopefully I can get my friend to post up footage of our battle so maybe we can get feedback from the pros here. Maybe see if we're any good to you guys.

3. It goes to 20G (or close enough to be 20G) after about a mninute and a half when starting from HC5, so I imagine it does...

4. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i'm sure you guys are pretty good if you made it so far in the tournament. there must have been some decent players to get through before you made the semifinals. and congrats z-flo for coming first [​IMG]

anyway if you can learn to do this you'd probably be better than anyone here.

5. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

It didn't get that fast. The tourney was played on handicap 1.

I've seen that vid and that is so godly. But I doubt we were playing that fast. I'd say maybe a step (maybe two) below that speed. I thought we were playing fast. z-flo's speed in verses is hard to keep up with though. I have a hard time keeping up with his speed, I make up for it with harder attacks.

I guess if we try judging by speed, z-flo can finish 25 lines (with all tetrises) in 38 seconds. My personal best is 39 seconds. And we don't just clear the last line, we tetris the last one. So 7 tetrises in less than 40 seconds would be a slight indicator of how we play as far as speed goes.

6. gko

gko Unregistered

Yeah, but that girl who placed 2nd is far easier on the eyes than either of you. [​IMG]

Nice job, you two. The crowd roars pretty much indicated that whenever someone came back from the brink, (which happened more than a few times.) You guys forgot to mention also taking first in the the team competition.

7. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

lol thanks?....hahah..

Well anyway, a friend of mine got it uploaded already, so enjoy my match of the year. Note: I'm the one on camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOzmyqL9XFI

Here's my match that won third place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_VA43KoDa4

and for the record, Luigi is not my IGN, it's just the name of the DS that they needed to project the game onto the big screens.

8. Decent video.

I'm glad that the speed was there at least. I would have expected with such a localised tournament that the best player would only be around a 6750 rating online, maybe lower, so I'm pleased the skill was high at least.

T-spins seemed thin on the ground, and I reckon most of the better players here would have won pretty easily, but I'd have been extremely surprised if that wasn't the case, given the nature of this place.

Using Handicap 1 removed a great amount of the gameplay though, and meant that speed as ranked far above stacking and line-clearing technique, especially seeing as the players are quite good. It should have been at least 2.

Kudos to the commentator for doing a good job though. Tetris isn't the easiest game to commentate on.

9. That's some pretty tasty speed. Glad to see you got under 40 seconds. I was fairly sure it was possible when I did my calculations.

10. Chaos

Chaos Unregistered

As far as speed goes, only z-flo and myself showed speeds of the sort. Most of the other finalists were a noticeable step below the speeds shown in our match. No one there was very exceptional with executing t-spins fast enough for battle situations, so I suppose that's what made it a little easier for us to get that far. I myself am not all too great at t-spinning, but I can set up for singles and doubles during battle at least, so that helps me I guess. z-flo on the other hand rarely pulls out t-spinning at all. I'm sure that with the speed he normally plays at, makes up for it (as far as battling the people here).

I'm sure the better players of this forum would smash us, but I hope that I can get myself to faster levels of playing speed to compensate for my lack of t-spin usage and efficiency of blocks. To be as fast as uwadumi would be pretty awesome.

11. tepples

Subtracting line clear delay, that's about 35 seconds of active time, or about 120 TPAM.

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

uwadumi is damn fast that's for sure. But no matter how fast you are, you're still limited by what the game allows you to do. Speed can only get you so far until you hit a barrier. That's when you need to improve other skills to up your game. Compensation with speed will only help you against players who are proficient in other areas but are slow. What'll happen when you run into a person that has both speed and mastery of other areas?

That said, there are a lot of techniques you use which you may not have even distinguished as techniques. Non-overstacking construction, skimming (z-flo was especially proficient at this), and flat stacking are just a few that I noticed.

13. As often as we play Tetris, Chaos and I probably aren't as well-versed in common terminology; heck, only recently did we find out T-spin types had names. Could you clarify what those techniques mean?

14. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

15. sweet competition! there's even techno music and a commentator.

maybe ttc people will see this and think "hey, they're not doing t-spins, maybe we should just abandon that idea..."

16. I think we were just lucky that there were no competitors who could actually consistently churn out TSTs. That was probably my biggest fear.

Thanks for the descriptions, even if the non-overstacking link didn't work. [​IMG]

17. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Sorry about that. I copied the wrong link and didn't pay attention. [​IMG]

Hmm, your biggest fear should not be someone that can consistently churn out TSTs but someone that can consistently churn out TSDs.

18. tepples

An opening of TST to B2B Tetris, which fills more than half the playfield, can be a pain in the butt too.

19. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Hehe, openings are still openings. What you do mid-game really determines the outcome.

20. you know, i was actually thinking about it the other day. if some day we see a game, with fast DAS, where players can play around 140+TPActiveM, if there's like a half-second line clear delay and tds-type soft dropping, then tetrises might overpower t-spins. it's all a matter of being fast enough, though.