TC Lurker finally joins - tips on 20G ARS?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by rednefed, 17 May 2008.

1. Hi guys, I've been lurking around TC and soaking up knowledge from the forums and wiki, and finally decided to register.

Background: I've played many variations of falling block games since childhood, from Tengen Tetris and Columns on my Famicom (yes, not an NES), to GameBoy Tetris, and before I got into TGM, Tetris Flash/Tetris 2. I've played some SRS games non-seriously, having spent most of my time on Guild Wars, and didn't really like them. So after the TGM3 'invisible tetris' video made its rounds onto reddit, I liked the look and feel of TGM and have gotten into ARS deeply, and it makes oh so much more sense than SRS. [​IMG]

Since then, I've gotten TGM1, TGM2, and TAP experience through... questionable means, which we're all familiar with. I've already posted my records in the forums.

Still, I'm primarily a Heboris junkie that learned ARS using TGMA's ARS2 and Hold, so making the transition from SRS to ARS to no floorkicks, no hold, and step reset has most likely negatively influenced my play. I've yet to hit 999 in TGM, but came a stone's throw away. My best TAP Master is an S2, level 700ish and my Death performances are lol-worthy.

I'm a slow player, trying to learn proper stacking before moving on to time attack mode. So I ask all you gurus, how do you survive ARS 20G? Don't get me wrong, I can GM 20G-G1 in Heboris using ARS2 fairly easily in Heboris with the hold and 1 preview, but in traditional TGM rotation I'm often dead in under 300 levels even with slow 20G (e.g., the 20G code in TGM1). I know most of the twists and can do those regularly; synchros are hit or miss. So basically, it's not the speed that's killing me, it's my stacking, and I'm wondering if you have any general tips for surviving 500 levels of slow ARS 20G.

2. Welcome there ! [​IMG]

If you have to make a hole, don't make it in the center columns. Holes in there are really really shitty to repair.

Think with a non-overstacking contruction mind if you want to repair a hole.

3. sqkisiggy

sqkisiggy Unregistered

play texmaster and practice normal or special (whichever u prefer)

when i first started playing tgm i could barely get past 400 and only reached 20g if my game was slowing down.

but after some practice

in stacking, from what i understand u should stack high (pyramid like) sometimes to move pieces around easily at 20g.

with practice (its been a couple months now), i can handle 20g for at least 200 levels.

but thats still not good enough... i need more practice T_T

4. I think the main culprit is losing Hold. I just played 20G-G1 in Heboris using TGM1/TAP rotation and Gm'ed pretty easily. But if I can't use Hold, my survival varies widely, sometimes from 75 levels (lol) to well over 500. Just a matter of when, not if, I screw up, and how I can fix my stack afterwards.

5. In which case you probably need a better knowledge of how to create overhangs and then fix them. There's quite a lot to simply knowing where the optimal place to put a bad piece is.

Maybe try here