Tournament: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 3 HAS ENDED

Thread in 'Competition' started by Rosti LFC, 5 Mar 2009.

1. English version of Blokkendoos/Blockbox can be found at http://www.blockboxgame.com

SEASON THREE HAS NOW FINISHED
    FINAL POSITIONS HAVE YET TO BE PROCESSED
    SEASON FOUR DUE IN DECEMBER, DATE TBD, REGISTRATION OPEN

So, a few ground rules:

1) The IRC is by far the easiest way to arrange matches (#tetrisconcept on quakenet.org, or click the "Join Live Chat" link on the main page), and this method should make it easier for everyone. Obviously there's some personal discretion involved in this rule, but it's primarily to just remove the people at the first step who aren't going to actually make an effort to play their matches. I'm not saying that to take part you need either 1000+ posts here or to be on IRC every day without fail.
    2) Matches will be first to 15 wins.
    3) Each player plays every other player in their division once.
    4) Matches shall be played on Blokkendoos, and with the standard rated game settings. Obviously DAS and rotation system are at the individual players' discretion.
    5) The points awarded to each player after the match shall be equal to 15 plus the difference in score (including negative difference, so a 15-6 result would give 24 points to the winner and 6 points to the loser)

FOR REGISTERING:
    - New players will automatically be placed into the lowest division initially
    - If they wish, they can play a play-off match between the top player in their division, or the bottom in the division above (decided at random). If they win this game they will move up a division and be allowed to take a similar play-off for the division above if they so wish. If they lose, they remain where they are.
    - The number of relegation and promotion places available for each division will reflect any imbalance in the number of people in each division.

Third round fixtures/results

Players for Season Three:

Division A
    01 - Blink
    02 - Corrosive
    03 - Rosti
    04 - goofer
    05 - Heretic
    06 - kotetsu213 / AcroAmphibian
    07 - KevinDDR
    08 - awake / meow

Division B
    02 - En Fuego
    03 - Kitaru
    04 - clincher
    05 - myndzi
    06 - Anonymous
    07 - Profane
    08 - SimMarine
    09 - mzhang

Division C
    01 - Slowmo / sheenie
    02 - Ray Ayanami
    03 - nismo
    04 - Jerycho / freakwithfire
    05 - Edo
    06 - Securis
    07 - DDRKirby
    08 - thazzle
    09 - briann / deadbB4youknowit
    10 - Ai
    11 - reaper1228

Past results:

Season 1:
    FINAL TABLE|FIXTURES/RESULTS

Season 2

Last edited: 8 Nov 2009
  2. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I'd like to participate. Could you elaborate a bit more on how the point system works? Will players that enter later on be at a disadvantage (is that what the positive point difference part was about?)?

3. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I'll play... till the death.

4. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

i'm down, got free time now lol

5. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I'll play, but expect me to lose a lot [​IMG]

6. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I'm interested in playing in this, if only at least to gauge my progress since my last "competitive" matches.

7. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I'll join.. But I don't know how to register in Blockendoos and where the IRC channel is

8. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

Players that enter later on won't be at a disadvantage. That's an advantage of having a league. With a tournament tree you can't really add people in during the latter stages, while with a league adding people in is easy, they'll just be on zero points with zero games played and as they play games they can pick up points the same way everyone else did.

By points difference I meant difference in games won during the individual match. So if a player won 15-9, they'd get 2 + 6 + 3 = 11 points, and their opponent would just get the 2 for having played a game. Winning 15-3 would give 17 points.
    What I meant was that with the first suggested points total, whichever player won would always get 15 + 5 = 20 points. It would matter to the player who lost what the score was, but not the player who won. The difference between 15-0 and 15-14 would be zero points for the victor and 14 points for the loser.

I've not figured out the points system because ideally I'd like one which causes both players to care at least slightly about score, but means that each game played should result in at least a small points gain, which is quite hard to do.

milkolate, I'll PM you later.

9. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

What about some kind of an ongoing ladder system? I know a lot of games do this. Players would get points for beating people higher then them on the ladder. Anyway, I'm in, although I also plan on losing a lot.

10. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

A ladder system could work, and I might implement it. I think for at least a first run through though a league system will probably work better.

I think I might just implement a score system of 2 points per game played and (difference in score + 3) for the winner.

11. m:)

m:) Unregistered

is there any way to play this on a Mac? I get a wrong java installed message.

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Click on the second button which ignores it.

13. m:)

m:) Unregistered

does this work for anyone? I just get a white screen after that.

14. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I occasionally get that on Windows, and just refresh and then wait for a while and it usually works.

15. tetrisdude

tetrisdude Unregistered

I'll play, but I am only mostly available during nights.

16. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I haven't gotten it to work on Mac either, same problem. And running through something like virtualbox or vmware fusion seemed a bit too slow.
    If you can do Boot Camp there shouldn't be a problem though.

Sign me up for this, I'd like to participate and should be able to play some games if our timezone differences will allow me to. [​IMG]

17. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I'm in.

18. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

Whoa...this might be one of the best ideas, since many tourneys at TC haven't really finished...
    Really: it solves the problem that people might cancel; it's a very good system for people who want to join later; players can arrange their matches without time pressure; you don't have to play many matches if you don't want to; on the other hand, you can play more matches when you have the time...
    And theoretically, you could keep this league alive for infinite years.
    So as you've noticed: I think this concept will work fine.

You only have to fine-tune the scoring system: I think it's good to implement a system where a high rated player earns less point when winning against a low rated player. Your first suggestion about earning points by the difference of wins must be changed a bit: example:
    High rated wins against low rated with 15-0, then he would get +15, only for the difference of wins. If he does this against more low rated players, he would be able to gain a infinite amount of points [​IMG]

I would like to join this league, even though I don't have time this month...but that's no problem with your concept [​IMG]

ps: The only disadvantage will be for the host: many players [​IMG] many matches [​IMG] leaderboard must be edited frequently [​IMG] good luck with that, Rosti [​IMG]

19. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

I have a question.

This looks similar to the standings you see in most sports such as hockey before playoffs starts if I have understood this correctly.
    So, will there be a set number of rounds to play? Or else it would never end ever, or is that what you want?

Will there be a limit in the number of times you can play against the same opponent?
    An example: Rosti is better than me so he could just play me over and over again winning 15-0 every time and gain many points.
    At the same time I am better than somebody else, and could just as easily play that opponent over and over to gain points.
    This could place me as high in the standings as Rosti although I'm nowhere near his skill level.
    So there needs to be a restiction.

20. Re: TC Blockbox Tetris League - SEASON 2 HAS STARTED

Guys, look at rule #5, which has been there since the start.
    To clarify anyway for those who can't be bothered reading the original post, it states that each player shall play each other player ONCE. It'd always be possible to change this to twice or start the league afresh when it's pretty much concluded (or use a ladder system).

I want to try and encourage people to play matches, which means every player should finish the match and come away with at least 0 points. If I just made it a pure goal-difference sort of thing, then some players would be getting negative scores, and it'd be a massive put-off towards playing people you knew you were going to lose against. Yet there's no way to have a league system where there are no negative points and to have it run indefinitely without people simply accumulating more points by playing more games rather than being good, hence the restriction on the number of times you can play each player.

To revise the scoring system, I'm now looking towards the points awarded after the match being (15 difference in score). This will mean the losing player will receive one point for each game they win, and the winning player will get 30 points minus the number of games they conceded to their opponent. I think this works better because it means that players should pick up at least a few points from each match (providing incentive) and also means that the score of the match will matter to both players. I think this should add a little more to the league, because in previous tournaments it's just been that better players have beaten weaker players. Now the better players have to beat the weaker players, and also by as large a margin as possible, while the incentive is there for the weaker players to try and pick up a few points off the stronger ones even if they ultimately concede the match.