Shoes

Thread in 'Competition' started by Classic Tetris WRs, 14 Oct 2019.

?

Who has the NTSC World Record and what do you think about TylerP?

Poll closed 9 Dec 2020.
  1. Harry has it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tyler's game is fine

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Tyler can play, but the WR game is fishy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't believe the Tyler thing at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No idea: I guess time will tell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Who cares? Let's just play Tetris! :D

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Just a quick poll.

Last edited: 1 May 2020
  2. Tyler's video is real.

I wasn't around when it happened on stream, but watched it after and noticed something about the capture that I thought was strange. On Nestopia, and I assume other emulators, there are settings to put various capture filters on whichever game you're playing to make it look like you're playing on a console. One of the settings, I think it's the composite setting, has an effect that makes the red border line around the level select screen blurry on the vertical lines, but completely sharp on the horizontal ones. If you look at Tyler's video, it's like that.

I asked Xael about it, and apparently this is a thing that happens with a real capture too. We went through various emulator palettes trying to match his colours to one, and couldn't find anything that was even close. There's also other stuff like pieces showing twice as they fall when they're "in between frames", artifacts on the rocket screen that are the same as other console captures. I think in the end we figured out that it was probably the same capture card that Harry uses, ironically. I think he also knocked his capture card at one point and had to reconnect it, though I wasn't around for that either.

So in short, the video definitely displays a capture from a real console, there's nothing wrong with it. I think this discussion probably wouldn't even be a thing if not for other factors, such as him saying he had an 800k PB when he started streaming again a week or so before the record, not playing CTM after qualifying, claiming to have scored a 1.33 game in the nineties or early 2000s, even though the uncapped game genie code wasn't even a thing back then.

P.S. he didn't delete his VOD's from Twitch, they just automatically delete after two weeks if you don't highlight them. Also, I watched the Buco match, and it's pretty common for people to just keep going and finish the game if they're on 25+. When you add in stream lag, you're like 20-25 lines away from finishing the game out anyway by the time you hear your opponent topped out, so it makes sense to just keep going.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2019
    Rory76 and Classic Tetris WRs like this.
  3. Tyler's game looks fine — he played very well, RNG was friendly, but he made not very good moves several times (it's natural). And just because he's secretive and doesn't reveal his identity doesn't mean he's a cheater. The more that as noted, he confirmed his skills few times.

So as long as there is no hard evidence that he has cheated, his record should be recognized — it is logical and fair.

Classic Tetris WRs likes this.