Recording from consoles to PC

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 15 Jun 2007.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I figured some of you might be interested in recording your gameplay (Tetris or otherwise) from consoles on your PC. I specifically wanted to be able to record gameplay of Tetris Evolutuion, Gears of War, and Guitar Hero.

I use a setup involving an adaptec gamebridge that I purchased from Amazon.com for $8.95. You simply run the composite (red/white/yellow) cable from your console into the gamebridge, then a USB from gamebridge to your pc. You then play with the output on your PC monitor. The gamebridge came with software for capturing video and screenshots, and I use Easy mpeg lite to crop vids after recording.

The only problem- the sound was about a second behind (during gameplay, not on recorded content), which made Guitar Hero videos impossible and other games borderline unplayable. I found a universal a/v adapter at EB games- it can plug into xbox/xbox360/ps2/GCN and has composite and s-video on the other end. I then bought two audio splitters at Radio Shack (one to split the red and one to split the white) and rigged it all uplike this:

From the universal a/v adapter (from whatever system I'm using)- S-video to gamebridge, split white to gamebridge and to TV, split red to gamebridge and to TV, and yellow to TV. Then usb from gamebridge to PC. Game is displayed on both TV and PC monitor, but I mute PC and play as normal on TV. I also had to get a 6' usb to usb extension as my TV isn't right next to my PC. Anyway, it works, and here's an example of the finished product (sorry it's not a Tetris vid).

I record in the worst of the 3 possible qualities to ensure that the vids will fit on youtube.

And while I'm here (Tepples will probably know this)- is there any way to run a composite cable out of a Nintendo DS to a TV? I'd love to record some Tetris DS vids with this setup.

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Why not record on the best and then recompress it on your PC? Or does it record directly to .wmv format, which Microsoft doesn't want third-party apps to be able to transcode?

Nintendo has made only two systems capable of playing multiple games without any way for the public to record video: Virtual Boy and Nintendo DS.

4. What about Pokmon Mini and Game & Watch?

5. don't forget that game reviewers like ign (not to mention nintendo themselves) are able to rip video directly from nintendo ds. i'm sure someone smart enough could do it.

6. That's because they have "the big blue box", the devkit for Nintendo DS. It has real video output to make it easier to capture what's seen on the screens.

That said, it should be possible to hijack the signals sent to the two screens on the DS and convert it for capture individually. But it requires a fair bit of DIY.

7. I guess the Game & Watch doesn't qualify the criteria of "capable of playing multiple games" but the Pokmon Mini certainly should.

8. tepples

Game & Watch != multiple games. As for Pokmon Mini, I have never seen that in stores in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It might have been a Japan and NYC only thing.

9. Pokmon Mini was released in Sweden too, so I'm pretty sure it was released in the US - but.. why would it be NYC only?

Also, what does that have to do with the discussion at all? You still can't record from it. At least not by ant official means.

10. tepples

Ufouria, Kuru Kuru Kururin, and Payback were released in Japan and Europe but not in the United States. Can anyone else provide evidence that the Pokmon Mini system was given a U.S.-wide release?

There are a few products you could only buy from Pokmon Center, and unlike the Pokworld, America has only one of those.

Allow me to backpedal: 3D Tetris and Tetris DS are the only Tetris products published on multi-game Nintendo systems in Nintendo of America's market that don't offer video recording. Wikipedia states that the Tetris game for Pokmon Mini was released only in Japan and Europe.