Puyo Tetris Roadblock...

Thread in 'Strategy' started by SoulGuitarist, 7 Mar 2017.

1. So I mostly play Puyo Puyo Tetris and occasionally TGM series. I'm overall a pretty decent Tetris player (Can play relatively fast, 40 Line PB is 1:21) but I'm having trouble improving. I mostly play battle mode and aware that T-spin clears are VERY important.

I know HOW to do a T-spin but I do not know the key openers and when I should set-up a T-spin midgame as well as any T-spin combo set-ups. Whenever I play a match VS a Japanese player, I often try to set-up T-spin but frequently just set up Tetris since the opponent has already built a solid 5-6 puyo chain or Tetris player has a T-spin combo set. Another reason is when I set up a T-spin, I occasionally just get this big hole and keep on building the left and right sides of the screen.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the main T-spin openers, set-ups, and combos to learn and when I should use them as well as how I should practice them. Also, any general advice that you think may help with these issues would be greatly appreciated. Apparently, the RNG in Puyo Puyo Tetris and modern Tetris games in general are pretty predictable but I don't know how it works. If someone could explain how the piece generator works, that would be very helpful too.

Many thanks and I appreciate your help!

Kitaru likes this.
  2. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

the guidline mandated piece generator is very simple.

it deals out one of each piece. As in the first seven pieces are all different.

the second seven pieces are also all different.

and the third.

and the fourth.

3. I've been meaning to reply to this for ages. Sorry for the hold up!

I think the best place to look for advice on openers and general t-spins are some of the guides and primers players have written. You could go to the wikis and search "opening" and get a smattering of articles describing individual setups of varying utility (though I'll flag out at least TKI-3 as a notable one), but you'll probably get more generally applicable info by reading some of the guides/primers. There is a Strategy index on Hard Drop that links to various articles -- http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2519 and http://harddrop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3640 seem useful in this case.

To re-iterate what Zaphod said about Tetris: the current Guideline randomizer is a 7 Bag (i.e., like drawing pieces out of a bag). It shuffles a "bag" containing the 7 unique tetrominoes and deals them out without replacement, then refills/reshuffles the "bag" whenever it is exhausted. The maximum distance between two of a given piece is 12 (opposite ends of consecutive bags), and the maximum repetition of a given piece is two-in-a-row (one at the end of a bag, and another at the beginning of the next bag).

I'm not sure what is known about the more recent Puyo games, but Puyo Nexus has a wiki article describing Puyo Puyo 2's randomizer. One of the key takeaways from Tsuu is that the shuffle can be biased with more or less of one color at certain parts of the sequence (i.e., more of a color earlier -> less later, less of a color earlier -> more toward the end of the sequence). I suspect that these sort of issues may have been addressed in more recent games.

In either case, you should be able to play expecting a uniform distribution.