Overshoot

Thread in 'Discussion' started by EthanTX, 20 Mar 2024.

1. Hey guys;
    I just purchased Tetris Effect on Steam and love the game. But I have one problem: Overshoot.
    I am using a Glorious mechanical keyboard with Kailth Jade switches. The keyboard isn't the problem - it's me.
    No matter how slow I have repeat set (in Windows CP), I always overshoot when moving a piece.
    I've read that it's probably best to move a piece to the wall then step back, but I guess I'm trying to be perfect.
    I am only playing the game in the Beginner or Practice mode so far; I can't handle the high speeds yet.

This morning I decided to try the mouse - a Logitech G-502 Hero. The mouse does pretty much eliminate the overshoot, but it's definitely not optimal. I use the mouse only for left and right movement, although I do have the buttons set up to rotate.
    From what I have read, my mechanical keyboard is the best way to play Tetris, but the overshoot bugs me.
    I suppose there is a learning curve, but honestly, i have never been all that great with this sort of thing.

In addition to the overshoot, I seem to have some difficulty making quick decisions. That's one of the reasons I am playing Tetris; I believe the skills I learn by playing Tetris could have beneficial effects in real life situations.
    Actually, I found Tetris during a Google search for 'flow'. I find it relaxing, but only when I am doing well.:)

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks

EthanTX

2. Hi EthanTX, glad you found Tetris--it's truly a unique and amazing game.

I think the issue you are describing relates to Tetris's "DAS" or Delayed Auto Shift feature where as you hold the shift key the piece initially moves once, then after a short delay repeatedly shifts. This feature functions very similarly to Windows' character repeat feature, but it's actually a separate system implemented in the game. Most games are programmed to ignore key repeats from Windows, and only use their own DAS system instead. For that reason adjusting the character repeat settings in the Windows control panel won't change the game's controls at all. This can sometimes be confusing for new players since the systems are so similar!

Many stacker games like the free game tetr.io have the ability to alter the settings of the DAS system, but unfortunately I don't think there's a way to change these settings in Tetris Effect. In tetr.io this is in the "Handling" section of the options, and there's two main options of interest, "DAS" which sets the initial delay in frames/milliseconds, and "ARR" which sets the repeat rate in frames/milliseconds.

One other thing to note is that, as you mention, it can actually be faster to overshoot and move back depending on your DAS settings and how fast you are playing. Letting go of shift to let the piece stop in the exact right spot is sometimes called "skill stopping", and depending on your DAS settings it can be really tricky to do. Tetris Effect uses a relatively fast repeat rate of 30Hz that makes skill stopping pretty difficult, but there are games with much slower DAS like classic Tetris for the NES which uses 10Hz. If you want to try playing with a slower DAS, Tetris Effect: Connected has a Classic Score Attack mode that recreates the mechanics of NES Tetris. I think it is multiplayer only, but you can play against AI offline

I hope this helps! The Tetris wiki has a bunch more details about DAS and I'm happy to answer questions you might have: https://tetris.wiki/DAS Tetris has a huge skill ceiling, so I hope you'll keep stacking :)

3. Hey sparsevector;
    Thanks for the info;
    At my level of play, I don't think I'll be trying anything fancy, but there are a couple of settings under Game Play that determine whether a piece can be held or rotated before it appears, and how the left/right arrow keys work.
    I enjoy the game for the effects though; it's mesmerizing, especially in VR, but I can't play more than about an hour in VR due to eye strain. I have the Quest 2. I understand the Quest 3 is easier on the eyes, but Tetris Effect is the best VR game for effects I have seen so far. That said, I don't play FPS or action games.
    Sometimes I can run for hours with Tetris in the Practice mode, but I occasionally go into the Beginner mode to improve my speed.
    In any case, I find the game addictive, but when I'm tired, I get frustrated; that's when I have to stop and go for something a bit less intense.

4. Do you think an arcade stick would be a worthwhile investment?