Off Topic: Other games.

Thread in 'Discussion' started by madhaTTer, 24 Jan 2007.

1. Deets

Deets Unregistered

Re: off topic: Other games.

Also important: learning to play using incrementally higher Hi-Speed settings.

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

yesterday at blockstats Caithness was talking about this game called Picross, so i tried it out. i must say i haven't done anything productive since [​IMG] for those of you who haven't played, here's an example puzzle:

Code:
      2 4 2 1

1 4 1 1 0 1 6 4
     2| |*|*| | | | | |
     4 2|*|*|*|*| |*|*| |
     4 2|*|*|*|*| | |*|*|
     2 2| |*|*| | | |*|*|
     2| | | | | | |*|*|
     1 2| | | |*| | |*|*|
     1 2|*| | | | |*|*| |
     1| | |*| | | | | |
    the numbers tell how many consecutive filled-in cells there are in a column or row. if there is more than one number then there is a gap between the multiple groups, and the gap can be any size. so the 2nd column from the left has a group of 4, and the 2nd row from the top has groups of 4 and 2 with a gap in between.

everyone here must try the 9th puzzle on this page [​IMG]
    there are easier puzzles here for beginners.

3. Re: off topic: Other games.

I can recommend Picross DS as excellent value. I've been playing it a little most days over the past few months and I still haven't solved all the puzzles. And they get damn hard too.

4. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i'll be sure to get it soon. it'll be nice to get away from TDS for a while.

5. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Ooh. Didn't know there were Picross players here. Mine's taking the back-seat while I whoop some demon's ass in Hellgate: London.

6. mat

mat

i am really terrible at this... almost as bad as sudoku. nifty idea to make it into pixel art though, i can imagine a very large grid with a complex image would be interesting--although i wonder if increasing the size beyond a 30x or so grid wouldn't ruin the game.

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

8. Re: off topic: Other games.

It's strange that in the world of pen-and-paper-based puzzles nobody seems to give a shit about cloning - as Picross is a direct unattributed rip of the Oekaki Logic/Nonogram puzzles invented in 1987. (Not to mention the countless Sudoku implementations in the world.)

9. Re: off topic: Other games.

Actually, once you learn the tricks the puzzle works just as well with larger sizes. I've heard of 100x100 or even larger puzzles.

10. Re: off topic: Other games.

The wife and I are huge Picross fans. I turned her on to Picross through Picross DS, but I've been playing for a few years now. Mario's Super Picross for the Super Famicom, not to mention monthly magazines imported from Japan... good times.

11. gko

gko Unregistered

rRootage

Warning Forever

and an obscure Super Famicon game that's been sitting in my collection unnoticed until recently called Araiguma Rascal.

12. jujube

jujube Unregistered

is it pronounced "no no sweeper"? just want to make sure i have it right.

13. Re: off topic: Other games.

Myself and a friend are looking to play Go on one of the several online servers (DGS, OGS, KGS IGS Pandanet), but we're unsure which one to choose, and don't really feel like registering on all of them to see which we prefer.

I'm pretty sure a few people here are at least familiar to the game, but I'm not sure.

We'd probably wouldn't be playing it to a level which was too serious, but if anyone could suggest which one is better then I'd appreciate it.

14. Re: off topic: Other games.

On that subject...

[​IMG]

(I originally made it as a level file for OpenNono, if you're not the type to work picross puzzles out with a pencil and paper or something. :p)

15. jujube

jujube Unregistered

wow, looks like fun 4matsy. i'll give it a try later.

i was wondering: is every nonogram solvable through calculation rather than trial and error?

16. Re: off topic: Other games.

Yes. Every (properly made) nonogram puzzle has a single solution and can be completed without guessing.

17. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i made a puzzle and i want to see if anyone can solve it. maybe someone has seen these before?

Code:
     10 15 13 8 16 17 10 7
    20| | | *| | *| | *| |
     3| | | | *| | | | |
     9| *| *| | | | | | *|
    14| | *| | | *| | | |
    15| | | *| | | *| | |
     5| | *| | | | | *| |
    11| | | | *| *| | | *|
    19| *| | *| | | *| | |
    the asterisks represent where you insert numbers. you can use any number 1 through 9 to fill in an asterisk, but a number can only be used once in each row and column (like Sudoku). for example, the number 1 could be used as many as 8 times in the puzzle, but it might not be used at all. the numbers at the left and top are the sums of the numbers to be inserted in each row and column.

i'm curious to see if someone can find an answer different than mine.

18. jujube

jujube Unregistered

seems there is more than one solution [​IMG][​IMG]
    ok, i added the products of the numbers in each row and column at the right and bottom.

Code:
      10 15 13 8 16 17 10 7
    20| | | * | | * | | * | |280
     3| | | | * | | | | |3
     9| * | * | | | | | | * |15
    14| | * | | | * | | | |48
    15| | | * | | | * | | |54
     5| | * | | | | | * | |6
    11| | | | * | * | | | * |40
    19| * | | * | | | * | | |144
      9 80 60 15 96 72 21 12

19. Re: off topic: Other games.

Solved it just for fun

Code:
      10 15 13 8 16 17 10 7
    20| | | 5 | | 8 | | 7 | |280
     3| | | | 3 | | | | |3
     9| 1 | 5 | | | | | | 3 |15
    14| | 8 | | | 6 | | | |48
    15| | | 6 | | | 9 | | |54
     5| | 2 | | | | | 3 | |6
    11| | | | 5 | 2 | | | 4 |40
    19| 9 | | 2 | | | 8 | | |144
      9 80 60 15 96 72 21 12

20. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

Ah, yes, I'm a big Picross fan, too. Can't say I'm the best at it, but I still find it fun.

Recently, I've also developed an obsession with the Touhou Project series of danmaku shooters. For those who don't know (which I'm guessing would be most of you), danmaku shooters are kind of like those top-down scrolling shooter games, except with about a zillion times as many bullets, which are fired in cool-looking patterns, and instead of your entire ship/character being vulnerable to bullets, only a small weak spot is vulnerable, in order to give you a fighting chance.

Or, to summarize in one sentence: "Wow, that looks really cool--OW OW OW! *BOOM*"

Anyways, if anybody's interested, I also recorded a replay of myself playing and put it on YouTube:

Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y-z7c3rU60Q

Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0zgaWzBfpGc