On my system, Nullpomino and texmaster have the same input delay

Thread in 'Discussion' started by joemaro, 1 Dec 2016.

1. Hey tetrisconcept forums!

Just started to play tetris and got introduced to tgm on #akira. Thanks a lot for that <3

I play both Nullpomino and Texmaster on Linux. I was told that Nullpo had a problem with input delay, but it didn't feel like it. I'm used to play quick games (quakeworld & warsow for example) so i had to test whether this is true on my system. Here is how i did the tests:
    Recorded videos of both texmaster and nullpo with a mobile, in each one could see my finger harddropping and how that piece dropped.
    In both tex&nullpo the delay between pressed key and piece showing on floor, was 3 frames (of all the 4 recorded drops in each).
    The mobile records with 24.8 frames/sec so 3 frames is ~120ms. Given that every frame takes 40ms thats a quite unprecise measurement i thought.

Better with sound:

Recorded sound of internal microphone while testing nullpo&tex:
    Verified that the harddrop wave file is correctly cut (could only do this in nullpo because of the acdpm-thing-audio-files of tex), meaning not having small silence at the beginning.
    The microphone records the keypressing really well (instantly) because it's a laptop, so they are physically connected. the gamesounds were also easily visible/audible in the recording so it wasn't hard to measure the distance between both.
    In both games, the delay between the keypressing and the harddrop sound was pretty exactly 100ms (also did 4 tests of each tex&nullpo)

For me i'm happy that both games have the same input delay on my system because thats really important to me and i enjoy the nullpo game modes a lot <3

Here are the system specs of my laptop (from "inxi -Fxz"):
    System: Host: jojo Kernel: 4.8.5-2-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.2.1) Desktop: i3 4.12 Distro: Manjaro Linux
    Machine: Device: laptop System: Micro-Star product: GP70 2OD v: REV:1.0
    Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-1758 v: REV:1.0 BIOS: American Megatrends v: E1758IMS.30A date: 08/23/2013
    CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-4700MQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
    flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19161
    clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 2439 MHz 3: 2400 MHz 4: 2400 MHz 5: 2686 MHz 6: 2397 MHz
    7: 2401 MHz 8: 2399 MHz
    Graphics: Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
    Card-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
    Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.02hz
    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

This is only on my system so i can't and won't speak in general, but wanted to share the test anyway. I'm aware that there this approach is certainly not the most precise, but it served the purpose in my case.
    Also: thanks for all the work that people in here have done and make it possible that i can enjoy both of these amazing games <3

Have a good day!

Kitaru likes this.
  2. Muf

Muf

Imho, all that really says is that your baseline input lag for Texmaster is unnecessarily high. Texmaster on Windows has 1 or 2 frames of lag, as far as I know.

3. It's not that Nullpo has problems with input lag, it's moreso that when using ARS rulesets (Classic1 through 3), it drops inputs for no reason. Also in Nullpo the modes are less accurate etc etc but if you're playing with any of the ARS based rules it will just fail to rotate or charge DAS etc half of the time.

4. The input lag is dependent on the hardware, not software. All software is doing the same thing as far as inputs are concerned: receive the state of the inputs, and then process the frame based on the inputs.