New User

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Lewis, 30 Apr 2008.

1. Lewis

Lewis Unregistered

Hello, I have just joined this forum and need some hints and advice on playing tetris. I have been playing The Next Tetris for a while, but i am not used to playing normal tetris. I usually get about 8,000-9,000 points on 180 seconds mode on LockJaw, at about 36 tetrominoes per minute. I would be grateful for any advice on improving my speed and score.

2. jujube

jujube Unregistered

welcome to the forum. making back-to-back tetrises is going to help a lot with your score (keep in mind this means making no other line clears between tetrises, not making tetrises with consecutive pieces). as for speed, you can make great strides just through practice (to a point). if you want to break 100 TPM and go higher you'll want to learn the rotation system really well and play with fast DAS. which rotation system are you using?

3. And the first step towards this is using both rotation directions, if you aren't already.

4. Lewis

Lewis Unregistered

On Lockjaw, what are the controls to rotate 2 ways? I have only been using one way.

Also, what are T-spins and how do you do them?

5. johnberhenry

johnberhenry Unregistered

Hey! I have that game.... I just can't seem to remember where I put it. Anyway, does yours have a Classic Tetris mode?

6. Lewis

Lewis Unregistered

Yes, my version has a classic Tetris mode, I used to use it sometimes but I preferred the other modes.

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

You can partially simulate The Next Tetris in Lockjaw by changing a few options:
    • Gimmick: Drill Attack
    • Line clear gravity: Sticky by color
    It depends on the platform:
    • Atlantis (GBA, DS): B rotates counterclockwise, and A rotates clockwise.
    • Allegro (Windows, Mac, Linux): From the title screen, choose Game Keys. If you have a USB gamepad, you can set it up here.
    See Wiki.

See Wiki for that one too.

8. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

You can change the key bindings on Lockjaw.

As for T-Spins, Rosti wrote a pretty good beginner's guide on them here.

And here's the T-Spin category on our wiki if you're interested in learning more.

9. Lewis

Lewis Unregistered

Thanks for the advice. I just played on 180 seconds mode and got 10,300 points [​IMG]

10. Ai

Ai

Good to have you here! I'm quite new as well and I would encourage you to force yourself to rotate the tetrominoes in both directions as well. It's difficult if you're not used to it, but it'll help you improve your speed quite a bit. I'm still getting used to it, but it's way better now than a while ago. Also try to use the "next" box to your advantage. It's still difficult for me to keep an eye on the following tetrominoes for a long time, but it's necessary in order to plan in advance and improve your stacking speed.

In order to score high in the 180 seconds challenge you'll have to try to create as much tetrises as possible. By clearing 4 lines back to back you'll get a score around 15000 quite easily if you stay focused. Also try to fine-tune the settings to what's most comfortable to you. I try to lower DAS as much as possible when I get used to a certain value.

What is also very important is how you stack. I use the hole on the right strategy most of the time because that's the one I find the easiest, but there are other ways to create tetrises. Just check the wiki and see what's easiest for you.

When you play a lot your stacking will improve as will your reflexes. You will have less misdrops or will be able to cancel out your mistakes faster. It will be easier for you to focus for longer periods of time as well.

Give the 40 lines challenge in Lock Jaw a try and see what your time is. Try to improve little by little by challenging yourself.

At the very beginning about a month ago, before I joined the forum, my TPM was around 40. Not long after I started getting around 60 TPM, but it was quite difficult to keep focused. At the moment I can play at 70 TPM quite consitently and don't have to break a sweat to play at 60 TPM, but 80 TPM requires a lot of me right now...

Unfortunately to get really fast you need to play a lot. Well this is actually not really unfortunate if you really like tetris that is. ^^ Try to play every day for a few moments.

Playing a lot and getting used to the game is the only way forward!

Also try to read about the basics in the wiki. I almost printed the whole thing. Try to read as much as you can to improve your game. It's hard but worthwile if you're serious about the game.

But most important of all is to have FUN!!!

11. Lewis

Lewis Unregistered

I just realised that I wasn't using the 'Hard Drop' key! I was wondering why my TPM was so low!!! Now I can get 40 lines in about 2:20 with about 55tpm, and in 180 seconds mode I get about 11,000 points!!