NES Tetris

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Josh Tolles, 20 Mar 2006.

1. I know BPS Tetris, dont really like it. Tried maxing the score out one day, I played for an hour or so hopeing the score would'nt have another digit and than! it did.

Bummer for me.

- Jono

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

If you're using an emulator, you can remap the controls to put down on the Z key (or B button) and A on the up key (or up on the joystick) for a more natural feel.

That said, you might also enjoy Tetramino (homebrew) for NES.

3. Thats what I do when I am playing [​IMG]
    Still not over pleased.

As for Tetramino do you know how many didigts it reaches, is it only 6 or more? I think its a decent version.

Thanks,

- Jono

P.S anyone having any luck finding an auto repeat program?

4. use autohotkey. it's an open source macro program. there's a great "ask for help" forum where you can pretty much describe what you need, and they'll make a custom script for you.

5. tepples

Score reaches 6553500. And I've made an updated version with rotation positions that should be slightly more compatible with TDS skills (although I still need to add lock delay and extended wall kick).

tetramino pre-0.30: do not spread outside nesdev.com and tetrisconcept.com

6. At first I did'nt realise you programmed the game yourself tepples.

Nicely done!

I was wondering why you chose to have the score not end on all nine's? Also only just noticed it has a hard drop! which makes it alot better game play wise.

You were also saying something about adding lock delay? Would it change the hard drop behaviour as in would it react similar to TNT?

When the final version is out let me know right away please!

Thanks,

- Jono

7. Guest

Guest Unregistered

I tried auto hotkey, and it was quite hard to understand. But I happend to bump into one called "keyboard king" and man it is so straight forward and very powerful. Although it did not seem to make much diffrence if any with the nes tetris, tetris elements was going alot faster.

Try it out and tell me what you think.

- Jono

8. tepples

Thank you.

The score is actually stored with a 1's place (0, 1, 2, ..., 99), a 100's place (0, 100, 200, ..., 25500), and a 25600's place (0, 25600, 51200, ..., 6528000). Part of this has to do with the NES CPU's lack of a divide instruction.

Actually, it's a firm drop, as there's an 8 frame lock delay. Quick Zangi-moves do work.

I can make it behave like TGM, TNT, or TDS. But if I add lock delay, I have to add support for speeds greater than 1G at the same time.

I'll keep both this board and nesdev.com posted.

9. On this twenty-eighth day of the month of July, in the year of our lord two-thousand and six, I have achieved a new personal record in the realm of NES Tetris with a high score of 663,637 points.

This comes almost a year in the making, as my old high score of 622,363 was achieved August 1, 2005. Boom-shaka-laka, baby!

10. Wow! What a thread! ;)

Quick update:
    Code:
    01/29/2012 - 668889
    02/05/2012 - 717978
    02/06/2012 - 746850
    03/17/2012 - 750011
    03/24/2012 - 792727
    05/10/2012 - 814783
    05/26/2012 - 831436
    07/16/2012 - 849740
    12/16/2012 - 956468
    09/25/2013 - 965412
    12/02/2013 - 999999

I realized recently that I have been thinking about Levels 19-28 all wrong. I had been thinking of those levels as accumulating stress as I go on, endurance becoming a factor, essentially getting harder and harder as the stress of playing those high-stakes levels accumulates.

But the reality is, Level 19 is the hardest Level in the game, and if you get through that, the game gets steadily easier until the killscreen. When I realized that, I felt suddenly more free, as if I had broken some shackles and sloughed a weight from my mind. [Points become increasingly easier to get without any change in gameplay (other than color changes).]

But I still can't max out Tetris. I mean I have. And I will again. But I can't max-out when I should. I only do it when I get lucky. I still have the nerves.

I have no idea why.

I mean, I know why: I am still trying to prove to myself (and the world) how good I am. I just don't understand why I feel the need to prove myself. Why I don't already feel proven.

For a few months now, I have been trying really hard to max out either 16, 17, or 13. And I can't. When it's there for me, it becomes too big a deal, and I can't cope with the nerves. It became such a problem that I couldn't max out 18 anymore either. I was stuck pretty good at that point.

But then a few weeks ago I had an idea: try to max out 18 so many times (thirty-one, to be exact) that it becomes mundane. This would serve two purposes: sort of numb myself to the importance of maxing out, and take importance off of the "next" max, as that was only a tiny step in the grand scheme.

It worked beautifully.

For one, single max.

Now I am trying to "prove" how good my idea was, how easy I can max. And now I can't do it.

Ahhh. Tetris. I wish i could quit.

Well, anyway, I *have* maxed out this damn game, and gotten some other impressive goals along the way. Here's a list ;) :

999,999 Point Max-Out
    "Perfect" 19-0
    15-5, 18-4, 19-2 Ladder
    19-3 beaten
    18-5 beaten

Here are my remaining goals:

One of each, Levels 10-19 starts maxed
    31 total maxes
    "Perfect" 19-1
    Beat 20-2 thru 28-2 consecutively (game genie required)
    Reach Level 29 killscreen from Level 00 start whilst forcing pieces to drop at Level 19 speed (GG)
    Level 19 max (mentioned above, but important enough to stand on its own)

11. No goal to reach level 30?

12. "Ecstasy of Order" made me want to try my hand on being better in NES Tetris. I'm emulating it via FCEUX. I currently cannot do well on Level 19 so I lowered it to Level 15. I can do 300k+ starting at that level. I tried moving up to Level 16 but it's just too fast for me. I can't seem to nail down the DAS charge. Any tips?

13. Easy. Watch this, really internalize it, then go play a better game. :D

Qlex and Muf like this.
  14. I checked out the arkmay.com/Tetris Tetris message board on the way back machine.

Unfortunately, a couple of threads weren't archived, most notably SuPa's "999,999 Club" thread.

There were at one time at least six people that were considered legitimate and now, according to a post by Chase (ChasesFury) there are six accounted for: rm, nico, ChasesFury, David Sobrinsky, and, of course, SuPa and Jonas.

Anyhow, here are some gems:

Here's a link to that thread.

Link to thread...Check this one out, I'm Master Chef here, and there's some bickering :D

Expand this quote!
    Link Check this one out, David and Chase have a discussion.

Link

Kitaru likes this.