Thread in 'Competition' started by Kitaru, 10 Mar 2014.
@Qlex is it time to fight?
I'm coming for you @frdhlm
Got past 600k mark with a lvl 9 start. Unfortunately no video :/
Damn. So close to 500k. But a PB is a PB so eh. PAL Lv9 start.
new pb level 18 start.
Just got a new PB in over a year so had to post it. Started on level 15.
Your starting lvl caught my eye as the order of the best starting lvls (from which you can score the most points) is 18, 9, 17, 11, 10, 8, 12 and 13, 16, 7, 14, 15, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. And since lvls 13, 14 and 15 are the same speed I think you should at least consider starting from lvl 13 if you specificly like playing at that particular speed. You might increase your chances of improving your PB
Thank you for the advice, I will try starting on lvl 13
Hello everyone, big fan of many of you. I would like to submit my record of 457 877. That is, if scores achieved using an emulator are accepted.
Hey everyone! Recently discovered the Tetris community and I'm enjoying the tetris hype very much! I recently made it to 368k and would like to submit my score.
This was a level 9 start.
lots of new blood!
Old blood or young blood, as long as the competition is bloody, that's all that matters.
Hey everyone, finaly got myself a new pb this week!
well, I did this today...
Finally bought a PAL NES on Friday ... so let's start to record my scores.
Start Level 9
died at level 19 straight away (191 lines).
A few questions ... read a lot of forum post the last few days and the following I'd still like to know:
- the people who can play level 19+ on PAL - what kind of controller do they use? On youtube they don't sound like my mushy controller ... since this is the only NES controller I ever touched, I don't know what a good one feels/sounds like.
- Do people who can play level 19 rely on DAS? I use DAS heavily until level 18 ... but I cannot do it on 19, so is it technically not feasible to use DAS then?
- I have a HD CRT TV (yes, this existed for a short time 12 years ago) connecting the NES through the red/yellow cable. Is this as good as it gets? the picture is awful ... on level 16 I kind of guess which of the violet pieces is which - the tiny rocket you get when you het to not that many points looks like a wiggly snake when it moves upwards.
- I use a 4/3 aspect ratio on the TV, but the pieces feel slightly stretched horizontally, which messes with my Gameboy honed instincts ... is this the same on all CRTs? The youtube videos kinda look like this as well.
Hey Uli! Great to have you on the forum!
I use an original NES controller, and I know Jani does as well. Using DAS on level 18 and 19 is absolutely possible, everyone that is able to play those levels solely relies on DAS on the PAL platform. I haven't yet heard of anyone that has found a way to make hypertapping beneficial for them on PAL since DAS is already a fair amount faster than on NTSC. I can't answer your CRT questions though. Hope to see some more great scores from you!
Thank you Svavar.
I just booked flights to Copenhagen, looking forward to talking to you next month.
- it's highly recommended to use just a regular ORIGINAL controller, but...as the original controllers are something like 30 years old, all of them tend to have their own special characteristics nowadays You might want to try other peoples controllers once in Copenhagen! In any case, it doesn't really matter exactly what kind of controller you use as long as it suits your own style. And btw, if you listen to Jani playing lvl19 (or basically any level...), it always sounds like the controller is about to break in half - it sounds horrible (youll see..or hear)!!
- Like Svavar said, DAS is the only way to go past lvl 19 on PAL systems. It's tricky but undoubtedly possible
- I played my first PB's on a 100 Hz CRT -> after I realized that any kind of picture processing is VERY BAD in Tetris (for especially DAS!) I wouldn't play on any other than a dumb (as opposed to "smart") 50 Hz CRT. I believe that your HD CRT is absolutely wonderful for all OTHER kinds of retro games but, unfortunately, not for Tetris.
- You can get rid of all the aspect ratio etc. problems if you get a natively 4:3 50Hz CRT
- You gonna participate in the Game Boy competition in Copenhagen (assuming there is a GB competition)? Are you any good in the GB Tetris 2 player mode?
Separate names with a comma.