Records: [NES NTSC] A-Type

Thread in 'Competition' started by Kitaru, 24 Feb 2012.

1. Re: [NES] A-Type

used to play tetris on gameboy when i was like 12. for years i thought it was impossible for anyone to be better than me. then i saw ecstasy of order...humbled, but at the same time motivated. i would have assumed that 19 was impossible to pass had i never watched it. bought an nes and have been playing for about 3 months. didnt think this score was that special but looking at the others i feel pretty good about it. pushin on to 700...

Attached Files:

2. Re: [NES] A-Type

Welcome aboard y2drag, and congrats on a strong entry to the scoreboard! :D It's certainly exciting to see the movie working as a motivating force to seek out the community and improve scores.

Coming from a GameBoy background, have you been moving pieces primarily by tapping or have you started to pick up the ins and outs of autorepeat "momentum"?

3. Re: [NES] A-Type

Well, first off i had no idea that you could start on any level past 9...didnt really play the NES version back then. After watching EOO, i started playing strictly on 19 for a little while. Frustrating at first, but after a couple of days i realized that the only way to play past the level was to slide the pieces instead of tapping it. I dont know if its just me, or because of the way the controller is designed, but if my left side gets too high i cant really slide a line over there if its more than a few lines up, so in certain cases i think you still have to use tap.
    Another useful tip that came out of the doc...realizing that if you take control of the next piece at a certain split second after previous one hits you will be able to pull it out further to the left or the right. This was key for me, as i spent about an hour one day just pulling the pieces left and right as fast as possible lol. Where i still have trouble is after making a line i feel like you lose that extra bit of control, or maybe i just havent figured out when that split second occurs?
    either way thanks for the welcome...i have utmost respect for you guys...still blows my mind the way you play.

4. Re: [NES] A-Type

y2drag...our stories are nearly identical. Love it! :D To follow up on the last point you were making, I'm having a strange experience after clearing lines, too. I don't think it's the same as your issue, but here's what I feel is happening in my situation:

(Edit: This question is now in the "NES and Tetris + Dr. Mario" thread.)

I clear a line(s), holding left w/ seemingly full DAS, but when the next piece appears, it won't make it to the side as the previous piece did. I'll have to pay attention the next time it happens, but a DAS reset (if you will) isn't immediately perceivable to me. The situation occurs when I am holding to the left and never take my thumb off of the D-pad. If I don't clear any lines, holding left from piece to piece maintains my DAS charge, as it should.

I have no idea if that makes any sense to anyone, but I'm stumped on that one. When I think about holding to the left to clear a line and not having to take my thumb off to actually place the piece, it seems like a funny situation overall. Maybe I'm doing something that I haven't noticed... :\ This also may not be the thread for this discussion, so forgive me.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2013
  5. Re: [NES] A-Type

i think this is exactly what i meant, but i probably didnt explain it as well as you just did, so thanks for the pickup lol.

6. Re: [NES] A-Type

Thanks, Josh. I haven't looked at that thread for a while and forgot it was there. Now that I've spent a couple months trying to learn the more technical ins and outs of DAS, I think I can at least try to ask my questions more clearly over on that thread. Emphasis on "try." :)

7. Re: [NES] A-Type

I think you were clear. I'm not sure I can say the same for all of my
    explanation, but hopefully I was able to help. :)

Discussion can sprout up here or there. If we were aiming for a strict ideal of organization, then perhaps technical stuff would be split into their own threads and moved to Strategy. As far as I'm concerned, it's quite fine if technical stuff happens every now and again between records news; it makes the thread a bit livelier, and it's not like we're hijacking random other threads and derailing them into an unrelated game -- the NES stuff can still be found in the NES threads. :)

@y2drag: There shouldn't be anything with line clears that changes the timing. I'd check the links Josh posted and see if that clears things up a bit. Also, the "thud" sound that lockdown makes can help keep track of the timing for direction changes since it starts at the beginning of entry delay.

The one thing line clears can mess up for me is sort of the opposite --that it briefly overrides the sound of movement ticks and can interfere with my timing if I'm not completely on top of my game.

8. Re: [NES] A-Type

A little scores update for things from off-channel sources:
    *Christopher B. posted a photo of a 962,760 in 233 lines from Level 19, which was a sizable jump from his previous in the 800k tier!
    *I had Mike W. listed in under an estimate of 833,xxx. We now have the exact score at 830,775.
    *I would really like to update Dana's score at some point since I know she has surpassed the 909,xxx posted here, but she has stated that she does not want to submit until she maxes out. Perhaps I could convince her to let me post something newer and try to get the latest set of digits after that 9, but otherwise I'm going to respect that wish. So, I suppose her score might just be shrouded in a bit of mystery until I one day get a text with a photo of 999999 gracing the screen... :)

9. Re: [NES] A-Type

And the 9th 999,999 player is LouieSkouie!!

Due to capture problems, we're unfortunately left without a video this time around. He stated that "as Ben knows, my capture crapped out last night! I might have to do this again..." (This conflicts with his previous statement of "Time to retire. Sorry, no video :(" -- here's hoping the fire yet burns!) His photo displays 999,999 at Lv. 27 (in a reported 213 lines), as well as another exceptionally strong performance weighing in at 925,760 at Lv. 26.

10. Re: [NES] A-Type

Holy cow, looks like the race is on for the 10th max-out then...

Well, inspired by my first Tetris tournament appearance at the Midwest Gaming Classic last weekend and hanging out with a bunch of awesome Tetris players, I've decided to finally start recording my play and going for the max out.

In the last week I've captured a 296 lines and a 936,952 which ended on level 28. I will be uploading those videos very soon and will post a link to them when I do, but thought I'd pop in here with a preview of my score, a personal best I got yesterday. I hope to complete the max-out very soon!

Attached Files:

11. Re: [NES] A-Type

Welcome aboard, Chad!

Judging by the cursor position, is that a Level 9 start I'm seeing? (Or even a Level 19? :o)

12. Re: [NES] A-Type

Dude...wow. Glad to see you've made your way here, Chad. Glad to see you're on the doorstep, too. :) Keep it up!

13. Re: [NES] A-Type

Good lord!!! I figured as much when i watched that dang Z spin... i just knew it!

P.S. CHAD is RAD!!!

14. Re: [NES] A-Type

Thanks for the welcome guys. Great to meet some of you at MGC. That was a good time.

I'm starting on level 9 for my maxout attempts :) I had been playing starting on level 19 for a very long time, without doing any recording, just to get good and solid for when I was ready to try for the maxout. Just before the Midwest I broke 700k starting at 19 for the first time, so I'm recording all my games now, heh. Yet somehow it seems that when starting lower than 19, getting to 19 is like having to relearn it all over again!

15. Re: [NES] A-Type

idk if he is on here but david V: 977,962!!!!

things are heating up!

16. Re: [NES] A-Type

ill post my 977 vid on youtube eventually....just kinda pissed at that game right now caus i choked and needed just one tetris to max!!