Records: [NES NTSC] A-Type

Thread in 'Competition' started by Kitaru, 24 Feb 2012.

1. Re: [NES] A-Type

Also cross-posting:

I know it can be incredibly frustrating. It also seems like a lot of top players have this mentality that anything less than their best is embarrassing trash, and even their best is nothing special or not good enough. While sometimes that can be spun into a source of motivation to drive things forward, it can just as easily become a very poisonous way of thinking.

Tetris sold over 8 million copies. You have the 14th recorded best performance. That puts you in the top 0.0002% players _in the world_. You're fucking amazing. I know from experience that the top player mindset is screaming "why can't I just get that last tetris + change what is wrong with me why am I terrible," but the truth of is that it is _damn hard_. You've kicked the game's ass in a huge way, and you're hanging with the best of the best. Don't let it eat you up.

2. Re: [NES] A-Type

^ Well said!

3. Re: [NES] A-Type

I consider a 400k level 19 start as roughly as impressive as a maxout starting on a lower level. I saw Josh crack 400k within minutes of our level 19 tournament in Madison. Whatever barrier is there is a thin one indeed and its falling is inevitable.

It's an interesting perspective that anyone who can hit even 500k in this game is actually a very elite player.

4. Re: [NES] A-Type

965412 @229 lines

I had a Tetris set up at 226 lines. I wanted a triple, but burned a double. Then burned a single. Sat there at 229 lines for as long as I possibly could, but the game refused me. Got too high, topped out. You can all guess what the last piece in the next box was. Good times :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Sep 2013
  5. Re: [NES] A-Type

Aww man, too harsh! :o Still, awesome work -- congrats on the score!

6. Re: [NES] A-Type

After a few months' hiatus, I finally have some time to get back on the path to six 9's. I started up a game last night and, surprisingly I haven't lost much ground. I managed to hit near my current high score with a 317,503 game on level 15. After a few good games at level 15, I decided to switch to playing level 18 exclusively to get my speed back. I managed to get over 100 lines at 18 with my highest score at 217,530. I'm hoping to make some gains just playing level 18 for a while, but any advice you guys have is very welcome.

Edit: Oh man, I dropped to 50th place! Gotta do something about that. :)

7. Re: [NES] A-Type

Glad to see you're back at it, Don. Just keep pluggin' away! :D

8. Re: [NES] A-Type

i would say practice on lvl 19...even if you die 100 times in a row..it will force your brain to react to the next piece....after you get comfortable getting singles on 19...18 will be a breeze.....just my 2 cents...

9. Re: [NES] A-Type

Hmm... interesting idea. I'll give it a try.

10. Re: [NES] A-Type

Well I tried it last night and I did very poorly on 19. I played for an hour at least, maybe two and the best I was able to clear was about 20 lines. I think my TV (LCD) might be throwing me off so I went to the thrift store today and bought a CRT. I'm hoping that makes a difference.

11. Re: [NES] A-Type

crt makes a HUGE difference!! i think you could probably get 50-70 right off the bat.....

12. Re: [NES] A-Type

Wow! Lot's of activity and lots of great new threads to read.

I know I don't know any of you guys personally, but I would like to comment on Josh's recent posts. In the short time I have been on this forum, Josh has proven he has every skill required to max out. Kitaru says it best - Don't let the thought of the difficulty of maxing out keep you from it. Just play the last step like the first step.

Sounds like the Championship was fantastic. I didn't get to see the live streaming, but hope to catch some of it eventually.

I have recently gotten back to playing regularly. Still no video for me, but did manage to unexpectedly get over 600K. I was doing a little changing of starting levels, playing around and got this at a level 9 start. I got so excited at the end, I forgot to look at the final number of lines.

For Don A. - the practice suggested at Level 19 by the guys is absolutely necessary to advance your score. That was the advice given to me and much to my delight, I was able to get better and level 19 is not the monster it once was.

Attached Files:

13. Re: [NES] A-Type

I did play some 19 this weekend and I definitely think it helped my level 18 game. I'll have to do more of that for certain. I managed to crack 238,891 on level 18, which is a big deal for me, though it's about 100k short of my top score. Still, I felt like I made good progress this weekend.

It's hard to say if the CRT made a big difference for me or not. I was so terrible on 19 prior to the CRT I can't really tell. I did increase on level 18 considerably though so it probably did help.

What kills me of course is that 15 years ago, I used to play on 19 almost exclusively.

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country." -Kurt Vonnegut

14. Re: [NES] A-Type

New high score! I almost cracked 400k but not quite.

396,534 - lvl 18 - 129 lines

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Re: [NES] A-Type

well done, and welcome back.

plaaaay more ooooon 19! it works...

16. Re: [NES] A-Type

good things are springing to life!

17. Re: [NES] A-Type

Nice Jason! Thanks for posting. It's very useful to see other player's techniques. Toward the middle of your run, you used a T-block to burn the stack. I don't think I've ever done that. I'll have to add that to my list of things to work into my repertoire.

I should get my video camera set up and do some recording so you can all assess what the heck I'm doing wrong. :)

18. Re: [NES] A-Type

here is robin mihara's personal record from the qualifying rounds at the tetris championships. i personally think it is rad he did it live.

Attached Files:

19. Re: [NES] A-Type

not even sure this is worth posting: a new PR for me- 853,735. i beat my old record by 235 points. sheeeeeeiiiiiit.