Records: [NES NTSC] A-Type

Thread in 'Competition' started by Kitaru, 24 Feb 2012.

1. Re: [NES] A-Type

seeing as i live in portland i will be there. in force. w/bells. i am bringing a marching band to accompany me. i will also have a rival documentary film crew following me around. we are filming a tetris movie called "becstasy of border- electric boogaloo 2."

2. Re: [NES] A-Type

Congrats Muf. Dang! I'm out of the top 40 now! :)

3. Re: [NES] A-Type

i see a new score addition @ 722k, jake. where'd he come from? and... congrats and welcome.

or am i an idiot and simply missed it the whole time?

4. Re: [NES] A-Type

Jake's score recently improved. I believe Ben made the first report somewhere in this thread, but the recent update came from Jake himself via Facebook rather than a post here. :p

5. Re: [NES] A-Type

awesomesauce. i love seeing all the updates and new blood!

6. COL

COL

Re: [NES] A-Type

409,607 at level 19
    Just to say i beat K somewhere :p

7. Re: [NES] A-Type

it has been a whole day without anyone posting anything relevant to this thread. WTF? let's at least talk about something peripherally related to tetris so we can keep it going!

how about this: what's the highest transition we have on record? from 18 of course... any takers?

or this: what is your high game after having imbibed grampa's "ol' cough syrup?"

or this: couples high score (total score two simultaneous games BF/GF)?

8. Re: [NES] A-Type

My highest transition from 18 to 19 is 658K....of course I don't have this game recorded... so no proof......

9. Re: [NES] A-Type

seeing your recent body of work is proof enough sir. mine is 660, and again not recorded. i think my 828 game is 645 which is close. i think the highest possible is 754k so you are damn close.

10. Re: [NES] A-Type

No improvement for me on A-type yet, though I haven't had a tremendous amount of time to practice. I've been playing TetrisFriends to improve my garbage-clearing skills. Also, I bought a new TV specifically for NES Tetris. My old TV was mounted too high on the wall and was more designed for watching movies. I bought a smaller one so I can get up-close and personal with some old-school Tetris. Wish me luck!

11. Re: [NES] A-Type

New TV, eh? Is it a CRT? :) Best of luck in your scoring efforts. :D

Also, I feel like someone hasn't posted a score here... Maybe muf could tell me if a certain fellow (*cough*steadshot*cough*) or any others from the European meet have scores they should post. ;)

12. COL

COL

Steadshot made 49x,xxx iirc. Let's wait until he wakes up ;)

EDIT: 490,754 says the replay

Last edited: 8 Jul 2013
  13. Re: [NES] A-Type

Yup, 490,754 it is!
    Started at level 9, died at level 20. Unfortunately I got it before we started streaming for the day, so there's no video.

Need to get my hands on an NES soon :)

14. Re: [NES] A-Type

Not a new record, but the new TV is definitely helping:

[​IMG]

I opted for a flat screen instead of a CRT. ;) Though you can only get that old school feel on a CRT...

Attached Files:

15. Muf

Muf

It's not so much about the "old school feel", but more about the added image processing that increases the delay between pressing a button and something happening on the screen. You might not feel it immediately but it acts as an invisible hand making it harder to pull off tricks and clinch recoveries.

To get an idea of the amount of lag your TV has, you can split off the audio plug from your NES and route one half to a stereo set or something, and the other half to your TV. The TV will delay the audio to match up with the picture delay, causing an audible echo when combined with audio that hasn't been delayed.

16. Re: [NES] A-Type

To piggyback on that: I recently stayed at a hotel that I anticipated having a CRT (as that's what they often have) and they had an HDTV in my room, instead. The lag made Level 19 completely unplayable. >:(

17. Re: [NES] A-Type

Yeah, Kitaru warned me about the lag problem. Fortunately my new TV has a "game" mode that seems to help. I might end up getting an old CRT anyway. Cool idea with the audio muf. I'll have to give that a try.

18. Re: [NES] A-Type

could someone please record and post or describe an average hour of playing time? what does an hour of your tetrising look like? i need some perspective.

19. Muf

Muf

I'd take a look at some of Kitaru's VODs on Twitch -- they're unabridged recordings of him just playing random games / trying for a max-out.

20. Re: [NES] A-Type

totally awesomesauce! THanks