Records: [NES NTSC] A-Type

Thread in 'Competition' started by Kitaru, 24 Feb 2012.

1. Re: [NES] A-Type

thanks for the responses. i didn't know anything about the entry fee until i checked again today after TG's hiatus. that actually, legitimately sucks.

i am going to set up some kind of set up so i can film right to the computer next to my NES and perhaps watch only the most painful games- the ones where i was actually doing well until i blew it. i think the idea of having others watch is not only novel (at least to me) but genius.

about the "robust" community comment: i just notice that this site is not only kept up to date, but it also has lively discussion, even if on only few matters. i prefer it.

2. Re: [NES] A-Type

Yeah, i agree that our community is best suited. More bluntly, kitaru is best suited, in many versions of the game. Being not only good but also knowing the ins and outs of the programming is quite a deal, both on NES and elsewhere. I would trust verification to nobody but you including myself. Although i could prolly spot a fake in NES or SNES pretty easily.

The new TG is doing some good things, like making parts of the records viewable (i think) so the community can see them. The money thing is very interesting. And i certainly paid my 25 bcuks becasue i want that maxout there. But the worries there come with people who either submit a LOT of records or even one very long one.

Its true that a community like ours doesnt exactly need TG, nor would DK anymore, but i think the braoder gaming universe might actually, there just needs to be some sort of cap to what a person might have to pay. I do think a lot of this will smooth out over time though.

3. Re: [NES] A-Type

Hello all! I posted my intro in the Intro thread so I won't repeat it here. I was talking to Ben about going for the NES max score (999,999) and he suggested that I come here.

I've actually maxed A-type about 15 years ago so I thought I'd have another go at it now and get it on video. Back in those days I used to play 3-4 hours a day on average I think. I didn't have any goal per se, just a lot of time and not many options. :)

Funny story: At some point while I was playing I hit a plateau that I just couldn't get past - mostly with spinning the pieces quickly enough (usually L pieces). I was probably limited to around level 21-22. Then quite by accident I realized that by pressing the OTHER button on the controller the pieces spun the OTHER DIRECTION! O_O I had literally played for years not knowing that.

4. Re: [NES] A-Type

Well, you've certainly got my interest piqued. :D I'm looking forward to seeing your progress coming back to the game.

Dana was the same way, up until her interview for the documentary and maybe a bit after. :) I think Harry has some old "one button" videos as well.

5. Re: [NES] A-Type

back to why TG still matters... cuz I just pulled another one 'outta the woodwork' boom!! haha. And yes, the whole one flipper thing went on awkwardly long for many of us. And not only that, the whole start on a level higher than 9 thing? a few times in my ancient past I started on 19 and simply brushed it off as a glitch, lol.

I almost wonder if you know about the documentary yet:

http://watch.ecstasyoforder.com/

or the competition:

http://tetrischampionship.com/ (happening again this year at Portland retro gaming expo I believe)

There is also another, smaller but awesome, competition in Milwaukee every year at the Midwest gaming classic. Its more laid back and contains a lot of SNES tetris, but uses NES for a qualifier. The main deal though is the just hanging out, and the coming second annual "ben mullen memorial room 211 drunken tetris competition" :)

come to one, the other and preferably both!... I better get a dang suite next time, this community just keeps growing :) :) !!

P.S. I'm excited your not from California, every dang good tetris player seems to come from there... welcome to the non-CA alliance... one day, we shall overcome!

6. Re: [NES] A-Type

so many people coming out of the woodwork. i love the ubiquitous nature of this game we love. everyone, everywhere has played at least a few times, and many others have played many more times than that.

i once saw a documentary about treasures found in attics and alleys. it reminds me of this forum and just how many people are out there waiting to find us. people who have played for years and are quite good but never "had anyone to compare themselves to."

7. Re: [NES] A-Type

I had no idea about any of this! Very cool!

I just watched the documentary yesterday - super cool seeing all the faces that go to the names on TwinGalaxies. I didn't realize that "Thor" was THAT Thor. I even made a comment to Ben before I knew about any of this:

"I think level 29 was the highest I could go though. Supposedly someone named Thor made it to 30."

Having seen him do it, I'm dedicated to getting there myself. My wife was saying yesterday "It's probably good that you didn't know about it or else you wouldn't have gone to work for 15 years!" :)

8. Re: [NES] A-Type

After about 8 hours of play, I'm up to 270,318 points at level 17, 144 lines. Not as good as I'd hoped but an OK start I guess after 20 years. I started a blog to track my progress if anyone is interested: http://donatreides.com/

9. Re: [NES] A-Type

love it... i will be following!

10. Re: [NES] A-Type

931260 - Video link in Level 19 thread.

11. Re: [NES] A-Type

Updates! :)

Great job Bo -- hopefully the game doesn't toy around with you too much longer!

Thor's Lv.30+max video is once again available on YouTube, so I've added the video link to the leaderboard. :)

Quaid continues in the slightly frustrating tradition of having witnesses, pictures, or post-game videos, but no full game footage with his most recent Lv.19 and Lv.18 max-outs this week. (In his own words: "I don't videotape anything that happens on my bed." ;)) His most recent max-out was achieved in 224 lines. Without the pre-max score to calculate from, I've entered it in at the maximum possible Lv.28+4 lines.

12. Muf

Muf

Re: [NES] A-Type

[​IMG]

Looks like I have a long way to go :p

(Background: Living in Europe, I just bought an AV Famicom so I could play the NTSC version properly for the first time -- I'm playing on a NES Advantage which might be a disadvantage in this case but it feels familiar to me as a TGM player.)

13. Re: [NES] A-Type

keep em coming man! well played for the first time back. you'll be crawling up the scoreboard in no time.

14. Re: [NES] A-Type

@muf- keep em coming man! well played for the first time back. you'll be crawling up the scoreboard in no time.

also, please update the list: 828,663@ level 24. i thought i had it...

Attached Files:

15. Muf

Muf

Re: [NES] A-Type

[​IMG]

Well, at least it's not worse...

Also, so far in terms of ergonomics, the Advantage wins hands down, in terms of playability the modern dogbone controller seems fairly good. Although most of that is probably down to the fact it lets me tap instead of having to rely on DAS for everything, which I've not yet mastered.

16. Re: [NES] A-Type

Updated (and an update of my own as well :))!

17. Re: [NES] A-Type

@kitaru- your 909 performance was inspired sir! you found some straaaaange tetrises in there, especially pre-transition. also, congrats on the max-out upgrade. i feel it befitting since you are the man putting in so much effort to keep this forum thriving. amen.

18. Re: [NES] A-Type

Thanks! :)

Your latest video is looking incredibly promising. This game can beat up its players, but hang in there!

My one tip is to be mindful of the left; you're afforded less range in terms of moving pieces to the left side, so you must be very careful to limit how many tall pieces are needed there. Not much else kills games quite like a structure that requires J on the far left when the stack is already tall. S can also be problematic because the vertical orientation trends toward the right and requires an extra shift when moving left.

19. Re: [NES] A-Type

thank you for the advice, and taking the time to watch the video. there were so many god damned mistakes in there it killed me watching it- which i did... over and over. still, i have only really been playing again for a few months so i shouldn't push my expectations too hard. i will get it eventually.

you're right about the left side thing. i still have some bad habits about leaving holes over there. i also need to learn the little trick i see all the big boys play where you stick an S block into the well on the right to burn it off as well- i had never used that one until i saw you guys do it. if i had done that during my latest game i would have survived a lot longer methinks...

on a related note- does one's heart ever stop pounding when playing a good game? i feel my heart is going to beat out of my chest if a make a transition above 600k and it always messes w/me. i am sure that kind of thing happens on the regular to a lot of you but i only get one or two games like that a night so when i do i freak out because i know it is a genuine opportunity.

and then, of course, i fuck it up.

finally, it seems to have done something for a confidence, getting that 828k. after having a 751k high score for months, after a got 828 i got two more 750+ games today, including a 766 warm up! i think the confidence boost will help a lot.