Records: [NES NTSC] A-Type

Thread in 'Competition' started by Kitaru, 24 Feb 2012.

1. Re: [NES] A-Type

i love you for doing this guys. thanks to kitaru for keeping it updated. if i may add a score: 751209 on level 23 (i am still struggling past 19). pic attached.

Attached Files:

2. Re: [NES] A-Type

NICE wasmachstdugern!!!! quite a score to enter the fray with :) Robin will be happy to have some company, for now, in the 700k's. It looks like you are capable of some big things! Also... I notice you are from Portland. Did we meet last year by any chance? It just so happens that the world championships were there last year at the PRGE and likely will be again this year :)

3. Re: [NES] A-Type

we did indeed meet. we sat next to each other while i struggled away. we also talked about being history teachers i believe. i am from portland and was excited to see the contest was there but i hadn't played for years before going there the day of, hung over and sleepless, to play.

funny story about the portland championships: i got caught up in the moment and tried to do show off because i walked into that room thinking i was gonna win (AHAHAHAHAHAH) so i played all my games starting at 19... and i forgot just how flabbergastingly difficult that level is. i didnt want to back down so i just kept wasting my time on 19, posting horrible scores (my high game was 288k). my name is down there at the bottom of the finals qualifying list as a result.

i am trying to get better though and still haven't matched my high school scores. i love watching all the videos you guys post and thanks- i am learning a lot from them.

i would love to come again to the championships, especially if they are in my backyard!

also, i think i met robin and would love to get together and play sometime (if you're lurking out there robin let me know!) and get some advice.

thanks for the positive feedback and you guys rock.

4. Re: [NES] A-Type

on an unrelated note: when you guys sit down to play how many games on average do you play and how many duds do you have? i get quite discouraged because i get about 1 in 5 duds (lower than 100k). i think i gamble a lot when i play and rely too much on luck for the pieces i need.

also, on an average night of play what is a high score range? when i sit down to play i usually end the night of about 20 games with half the games above 300k, a few above 500k, and three or four above 600k, with a rare one in the 700k range. i am sure this is measly but i am curious how soon i can see growth in my scores if i am playing regularly.

penultimately, is there any kind of tutorial for tucks/burns/other fancy tricksies on the internets? i have searched to no avail. specifically, i am looking for tips on playing on 19. my high score starting from 19 is only around 300k and i know that needs to improve before i make a serious attempt at my ultimate goal.

finally, did you guys do any kind of "practice" to prep for maxing out, or even attempting, or do you simply play and see what pieces come at you?

5. Re: [NES] A-Type

Holy crap! What are your old high school scores??

Surprised no one else has jumped on this yet, but, dude, those are some strong, strong scores! 750k @ 23 is freaking huge!

As far as 19 goes, same advice everyone gets:

look here:Some very peculiar features with regards to DAS

and here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aew60kovOgw

The biggest trick is DAS charge. Wall charge gives you instant shifting on your next piece, which can make or break you depending on whether or not you have it. A last second tap will ruin you for your next piece.

And as far as playing time goes....For me, I play two or three "good" games when I sit and play, which usually amounts to about 6 attempts, but sometimes can be as many as perhaps 20. I consider a good game one in which I get to 22 or higher or score close to 600 before transition. But I also have "practice" sessions that I commit to for weeks at a time, which basically amounts to playing "challenges" and have nothing to do with going for high score: B-Type challenges, Level 19 start, and some Game Genie modes which feature 19 drop rate and no auto-shifting (DAS). Whether I am "practicing" or going for a score, I usually play for 30 minutes to an hour.

6. Re: [NES] A-Type

I wanted to jump on that, but all I really had time for when I saw it was to add his score to the board. :p I'm definitely interested in hearing more! :D

Guide... guide. :( I still don't even have the tools or workflow I wanted for that yet, blah.

7. Re: [NES] A-Type

@joshua tolles- believe me, dear sir, i most certainly have watched that DAS video dozens of times. i am glad to hear your estimation of a "good game" since it seems for me achievable in the near future. i get a few games in at that level each night but once the transition to 19 comes i am either unprepared or i fall apart. at 19 i usually just go for lines any way i can get them rather than solely tetrises. i have a lot of work to do. i try to play most of my games on 19 but am consistently barely breaking 100k. i get a high game of around maybe 200 something a night. again, referencing the machinima video, they make mention that to max you need around 400-500 at the transition, which i something i do fairly often, but then you need to make the rest up at 19 speeds, something i can't.

my high school high score is 850 something. i think i have played maybe five games in 800s my whole life, probably because i was lucky. after immersing myself in this new found tetris community i want to replicate that feat daily, but am beginning to realize that may not be possible. i just see video after video of great games and i wonder just how often people like jonas, ben, harry, etc. (sorry if i forgot a name- you all rock) get good scores (800s). i recently watched a machinima video where both harry and jonas got 800ks on their first attempts- insanity. i want to do that, but i need a warm up first. i have a feeling they play games like that in their sleep. in fact, they both mentioned they max out about once a session, and harry said he did it 7 times in a single day, which is unfathomable to me.

i love the idea of tetris training, and may very well bogard it!

finally, you sir are a gentleman and scholar for helping a young padawan like me. i wish you the best of luck getting that extra 50k to max out. amen.

@kitaru- thanks for being the first person to welcome me to the hard drop forums and making that awesome DAS video, as well as keeping this list going.

on yet another unrelated note- do any of you guys have friends or partners you play with to talk shop and plot tetris stratagem?

8. Re: [NES] A-Type

after being inspired by all this talk i sat down and played five games. this happened (see attached). the part i didn't mention is the two other games were total, utter duds.

Attached Files:

9. Re: [NES] A-Type

@joshua tolles- my high school high score is 850 something. i have played maybe five games in the 800s my whole life.

10. Re: [NES] A-Type

Damn solid! :D Can't wait to see you return to and surpass your former glory. ;)

11. Re: [NES] A-Type

@kitaru- thank you, dear sir. and BTW what version of tetris is your profile pic? i don't recognize it.

12. Re: [NES] A-Type

It is Tetris: The Absolute The Grand Master 2 PLUS

13. Re: [NES] A-Type

Yep, also shortened to TGM2+ (Tetris Grand Master 2+) or TAP (The Absolute Plus), since the full name including both (!) subtitles is a bit of a handful. ;)

14. Muf

Muf

Re: [NES] A-Type

NB: some of wasmachstdugern's posts were stuck in the spam filter. Please read them if you've missed them.

15. Re: [NES] A-Type

@wasmachstdugern: Aha, I knew the name sounded familiar! :) I couldn't quite place where I had seen it before.

Regarding training partners etc. -- nothing with regularity, though I do occasionally do video analyses when asked. (Which reminds me, I owe Bo some write-ups. :p)

--

Not exactly news on the records front, but I did put down a 887k @ Lv29+3 game at Fanime. That felt pretty good. :)

16. Re: [NES] A-Type

not to just copy and paste from TG, but these 3 are above 600k and thus have a logical place on this board (although I only actually know Daniel so add what you will) just for completeness sake:

9 668,515Daniel Anderson2010-06-29———
    10 642,603Mike Hayes2006-03-04———
    11 620,260Ted Sotoropolis2005-02-28———

I also know a guy Lew Krec who got 556,684, virtually right at transition, but exact line uncertain :)

17. Re: [NES] A-Type

after comparing the TG and this site i have noticed not only a more robust community surrounding the game but more scores as well. is there some reason you guys don't rely on TG for the high scores? are they legit?

on a more practical note: i am gonna start setting up a camera for my games. do you guys keep the files for all the games or just the good ones? also, do you rewatch them all and look for errors or not? just curious.

18. Re: [NES] A-Type

I would tarry to call it a more robust community. Even back during the days of the old Twin Galaxies (which did have a forum component), I've always felt the best platforms for discussion have been Facebook, this site, Hard Drop, Nintendo Age, etc.. I suppose the scoreboard did initially bring together many of the NES Tetris players, but ultimately the discussions ended up happening elsewhere. Unfortunately, a lot of the players on TG's scoreboard didn't take the next step to take part in discussion. Given that the new TG doesn't have the forums, hopefully anyone still playing finds their way over here at some point.

(EDIT: Scratch that, it looks like they've added new forum and Facebook-ish features into the site. I think my point still generally stands, however. Also, is it just me, or is TG's site super clunky and disorganized now? It took me a good number of tries to actually make my way NES Tetris scores.)

As for why we don't rely on TG for scores, I guess it comes down to a handful of things but I can list some of the more relevant ones. Given the recent change of ownership, TG was down until somewhat recently -- the NES Tetris community was quite active in the meantime. Now that the new TG is once again accepting scores, there is now a $25 fee for new submissions. I know it's to weed out an overwhelming flood of "first effort" rather than "serious effort" tapes, but it may serve as an additional disincentive to going through the trouble of recording and submitting for TG's verification process. The goals of this board and TG's also slightly differ -- we're not trying to be an authority on world records per se, so we run on the honor system to minimize barrier of entry and maximize "freshness."

I don't always keep or watch my runs, but part of that is due to the unwieldiness of my current setup -- I'm still recording to VHS tape and webcam recording the good ones when they crop up, haha. Even still, I don't know if I'd really have the time to watch every run. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing wrong if I die at this point, so there aren't so many mysteries I feel like I need to review. I think it might be more valuable to have others review your runs or study videos from other players, since you'll be more likely to hear or see something new that you can incorporate into your play.

19. Re: [NES] A-Type

Its an interesting and somewhat unfortunate matter of fact that the exact time that the NES community exploded with its most vigor was the very time TG was out of commission. It had been, and in some ways remains the list of record, but it is now and always will be incomplete. I personally like the idea of people submitting to tg, at least for maxouts, but i also know that wont happen. This then becomes the most complete list out there. But all things have there problems. Being on the honor system does mean this list could see fake records, at least in theory. So any list must be taken for what it is.

20. Re: [NES] A-Type

While true that someone could ostensibly pull a fast one, it's like... "good job champ, you lied to your internet friends and now they don't really trust you anymore." But really, at the end of the day if we were to tighten entry requirements, I feel like the community most dedicated to the game would also be the one best suited to verification.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯