Multiblocks

Thread in 'Discussion' started by mar, 19 Oct 2007.

1. jujube

jujube Unregistered

actually i haven't really gotten used to it. i put up a better score because i made a few more tetrises early in the game, but because the sensitivity increases with each level change i'm not able to control the pieces very well in higher levels. if i can make it to level 10 or higher this is what makes me top out. would you consider keeping the input sensitivity the same all the time? there are other ways to increase the difficulty that might not be as frustrating for the player. i like the idea of pieces being more random as the game goes on.

on a side note i had my gamepad plugged in the last time i started the game and it was detected [​IMG] it looks like i can assign any button to do what i want. i'll have to give that a try the next time i play.

is there a way to get back to the original screen where you can assign your keys? it seems like once you get to the game select menu there's no way back.

2. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

I was talking about the initial delay; it's too short. The actual repeat rate is quite slow.

3. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

The ability to stack through clutter is quite interesting. I'm slowly incorporating new techniques into my arsenal to combat the randomizer. I've traversed the highest levels so far according to the leaderboard. Like others though, I'm playing much slower than usual due to the bright playfield. The sensitivity of the rotations and the decreasing DAS initial delay time becomes a huge problem when the gravity gets high.

4. Cultris Pyruz

Cultris Pyruz Unregistered

I don't really see a point to go to a high level . After i reach level 12 or 13 I would just commit suicide because it seems that the score doesn't really increase afterwards only the gravity. Which I think is pretty nice otherwise it would be like facebook tetris... [​IMG]

5. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

You don't get many points for clearing singles but if you're able to clear tetrises, I don't see why you should suicide. I wasn't really aiming for tetrises when I was playing as I was going for pure survival but I'm sure it's doable.

6. mar

mar Unregistered

NEW DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE

edo

1. on/off checkbox will be soon

2. well mouse is present because pointer is on mouse - I try to turn it off, but there are some engine limitations.

3. I must investigate this but there is a big chance

4. done - hope enough?

5. changed to "28bag" if I understand bag conception correctly

6. in fact I can tell You what I was thinking when I do it this so before I enable it I have to check but will be done

7. this will be changed in 1.4 version - except 2 lines it will be done

8. yes I was not playing on that level but again You have right

9. like in point 3 - but with less chance because of internal code for piece movement

DAS - I will investigate this

SCOREING(Cultris Pyruz) - it is fixed right now there was a bug [​IMG]
    I hope that everybody noticed that multiplier increase when you drop

a piece and clear lines, if piece fall without a drop(or soft drop)

multiplier is cleared - It will not happened in level above 9.

So Yours score will be bigger.

DIGITAL - hmmmm should I decrease multiplier for 2,3,4 lines? What other's think?

Please tell every little thing that can improve quality of the game!

Is there on the forum someone from China, Korea, Japan? Because I don't know is multiblocks work with theirs character set? Please leave submit highscores on game start.

Can You suggest some forums for puzzle, color-match fans somthing similar to tetrisconcept, because I want to test other games also.

7. Cultris Pyruz

Cultris Pyruz Unregistered

Wow the overall gameplay improved with this version. Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

8. mar

mar Unregistered

This version is a "little bit" easier

tomorrow 3star levels will be unlocked but I have to test them

before doing it. And it is not easy for me cause

it is out of my skills completely even in develop mode.

9. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

mar, could you give us a little insight into how the multiplier works? I'm still unsure of how exactly we're meant to play. Also, does starting at higher speeds have any benefit?

10. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Hmm, I tried starting on the lowest speed and managed to get the top rank so I'm guessing it doesn't matter. Tetrises seem to make a huge difference though. And I'm assuming level 18 is the highest speed one can reach. With a little practice, it can be sustained indefinitely while stacking for tetrises so you might want to set a higher cap.

11. mar

mar Unregistered

DIGITAL

http://www.multiblocks.com/en/info/overview.php?num=2

Forumla looks (in short) like this:

SUMMULTI - this is a summary of all multipliers

LVLMULTI - level multiplier

MULTIPLIER - multiplier multiplier;) this on the left(from drops and line removing)

DIFFMULT - difficulty multiplier 1-4

PIECEMULTI - pieces multiplier

REFLEXMULTI - reflex multiplier

SUMMULTI = LVLMULTI * MULTIPLIER* (DIFFMULT*0.5)* REFLEXMULTI *(1+(PIECEMULTI/10))

TOTAL SCORE = TOTALSCORE + single_piece_score*SUMMULTI

So "strategy" looks like this:

- You have to drop all pieces to level 10

- Then try to drop blocks if it is possible.

- Collect as many tetrises as it possible to increase MULTIPLIER.

- Enter to next level with first block it can also add a lot to MULTIPLIER.

Also, does starting at higher speeds have any benefit?

No (in standard modes) because of multiplier - which You have to collect, if You have

some idea it can be changed.

If You play time or lines modes of course starting from higher level gives You

better LVLMULTI.

As I said 3 star levels after testing will be available and maybe something more... [​IMG]

12. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

mar, once again, congratulations on a great game. I had a quick go on the latest version, and it really is shaping up nicely.

I'm quite flattered that you decided to implement so many of my suggestions, but honestly some of them were more speculative; I would hate for you to implement something for my benefit and change the game for the worse for everyone else. For example, the randomizer is a very sensitive subject, some players (including myself) insist on a "4 history" or "7-bag" randomizer, whilst others actually favour the pure memoryless randomizer of the classic games. The reason I suggested a 28-bag was that I thought it would have enough order/chaos to satisfy both parties. What do other people think about the choice of randomizer for this game? Ultimately, the final choice in the matter should come down to you, mar.

Okay, some more suggestions:

With such high scores, would it be possible to have a 3-digit separator, or something similar? Perhaps you could colour the digits, something like: 100000000000 It would make it easier to tell at glance how high your score was.

About the multiplier: instead of resetting back to zero when the player fails to hard-drop or soft-drop, perhaps the multiplier could be reduced by a certain value. This value could have an inverse relationship with the player's level: For the first few levels, where players should be expected to hard-drop every piece, this value could be very high (perhaps 500 or so?). And for the later levels where good players can still hard-drop over 90% of the pieces, the value could be quite low (perhaps 5-10?). As it stands, it's a real kick in the teeth when you have a brief lapse in concentration just before level 10 and lose your entire multiplier.

13. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

In Dance Dance Revolution, scoring is based on how close each step is to correct timing. Some versions (such as Extreme in oni mode or In The Groove in all modes) weigh each step equally for scoring; some (such as MAX, MAX2, and Extreme in normal mode) give more weight to steps at the end of the song to reward stamina. But in other versions, especially 4th Mix (Japan) and Konamix (U/C), each step's score is multiplied by the combo, or the running count of consecutive steps performed within +5 frames of correct timing. If you are very close to a "full combo" but you make a mis-step in the middle, it hurts the score much more than making a mis-step at the beginning or end. And some players prefer to have the middle count for more in this way.

14. mar

mar Unregistered

NEW VERSION IS AVAILABLE

- 3 star levels

- setting DAS in PRO mode (press ESC during the game play) if you set both rotate to same value

there won't be double rotation - PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR SETTINGS - note that I do not

turned off faster and faster move autorepeat(each delay is 10% smaller than previous) I can turn that

off.

- 20,40,80,100,200 lines mode now avaiable - please try now because I wonder how fast multiblocks is

edo & tepples - I created instead of clear -10% - this is very good idea especially when I saw Your scorings

I was wondering what I can do to don't scare people with online high scores [​IMG] - I think It should be more

maybe 20% - what tapples said is very interesting but this algorithm looks to be complicated and in case of

multiblocks it is at least 6xcomplicated so I have to apply some more universal solution.

edo - I have (technical)problems with formating and coloring separate digits but I see what I can do.

As you can see people liked new version so your's suggestions were very good and I'm here to listen and try to improve game.

Hope all enjoy new version [​IMG]

15. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

The colour was just a suggestion, a similar system was used in Giga Wing (where scores could reach over a trillion) so I thought it might be an interesting idea. Any digit-group separator would be good, e.g.

1 000 000 000

1'000'000'000 etc.

About the DAS: for this to really be useful, there needs to be separate settings for both the first delay and subsequent delays. So in your terms, there should be "Move first" and "Move next" (in addition to the "Rotate first" and "Rotate next").

If you've not done so already, as market research you might be interested in trying out LockJaw , developed by our very own tepples (who's always shamelessly plugging it, so I thought I'd save him a job: TRY LOCKJAW PEOPLE! IT'S QUITE GOOD). Although it's not particularly pretty, it can be highly customized. The options that correspond to DAS are "Max sideways delay" and "Sideways speed", and I usually like to play with something like 150ms instant, or 133ms 1G. With Multiblocks, I'm currently setting "Move" to 0.100, which isn't a particularly comfortable compromise.

Also mar, do you think you could delete 2 of my old scores from the online tables?

Game 3 Mode 1, score 107629312. I left the name as "zerodoso".

Game 3 Mode 5, 200 lines, time 01:29:51. This is from when it used to be 32 lines only.

16. reivilo

reivilo Unregistered

CP son

17. mar

mar Unregistered

NEW VERSION AVAILABLE

- fixed problem with DAS i hope - (please tell me your settings)

- five pieces preview

- 7-piece bag for pro and modes 4,5

- some small changes making pieces acting more SRS - (i have no time for investigations so if you think i can repair something easily give me a hint,

but some thing with cannot be done with mb)

- coma separator (hmmm not look perfect... but I'll try to improve)

EDO

The score colour during the game play changes according to Your current place gray is out of top blue is 10 green...(as on the higscore list) and red indicates that it is your personal best score.

I know this title very well and it's excellent reference material!

It saved me a lot of asks!

One word about DAS MB is full 3d application and uses potential of your

3D graphic card if you have old type accelerator or notebook it can be

to slow for full 60fps check this by pressing F2 during the play. If

the avarage fps is under 60 it can occasionally (don't panic if this is above 20 it is playable) slow down. To avoid this please form main menu

go to options - graphics and change detail to 3 and background even to 1

This is your last chance to change something in this version of multiblocks. Please tell me about every little thing that annoys you.

I 'll try to fix it.

I'm very grateful for all your comments!!!

reivilo

You are first on the red side [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. i have a problem with my mouse: if i run your game in native resolution of a laptop i currently have hands on (1920x1200), the mouse moves extremely slow.

you definitely should fix mouse movements. its really frustrating to move the mouse at high resolutions. also it would be nice to have basic keyboard control of your gui.

by the way: great work! you are a real graphics guru!

do you use a self-written engine? or something pre-made? ogre? crystalspace? osg? irrlicht? i am just curious.

19. mar

mar Unregistered

Strange on 1280 mouse work very well I have to check it - thanks

What you mean by that? You can move cursor with arrow keys and
    Enter acts like LMB.
    It is self-written DXSDK based engine.

20. regarding mouse speed: maybe you can add a "mouse sensitivity" slider in the config dialog?

regarding cursor control:

i mean that in most gui's you can tab through menu entries or select menu entries by using the cursor keys and then press enter to execute. this is much faster than klicking with the mouse or moving a virtual mousecursor with the cursorkeys.

why did you choose directx? i found openGL so much easier to comprehend... (and its cross-platform)