Mihara's new game for the DS?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by sihumchai, 29 Mar 2007.

1. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

2. "That impossibly hard shooter"

3. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Ah yeah, found out it was a SHMUP.

Will check it out later.

4. Cubicz

Cubicz Unregistered

ah, another one of those ridiculously hard games. Is it the same as that one on the youtube video where purple dots fly everywhere? it seems to me, from watching about 10 minutes of footage and never having touched one in my life, that it is hold down shoot, and make your block of pixels avoid the bullet pixels. And if you get hit once you die. So is it just very simple game play that's a lot of fun, and to be good at it you just have to invest a lot of practice time.

like this one i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGRJxRZLw9k

5. I'd buy this instantly, but part of me just thinks it's too close to that month.

6. Same here, nanostray was kind of a letdown ...

7. Manic SHMUP requires too much memorization for me.

8. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Well it could be worse: randomized enemy placements.

Is manic SHMUP easier or harder than 10-foot DDR?

9. i had a little raiden phase at the local arcade, and i found out one thing: i'm not very good at these kinds of games.

10. I don't think you can limit this to the manic ones... R-Type, Gradius etc.

I don't understand why people complain about games like Ikaruga being a mindless memory-fest. Technically every shmup has "one true path" to learn to maximize score, but if you're only looking for survival or a moderate score, improvisation is still quite feasible. If anything, older games are more cruel because they require strict memorization even for survival.

11. I think it's much easier to survive in old SHMUP than in the newer. Or at least they're slower, so the player know why he had lost instead of a "WTF insane bullet hell !!!!!!1". But I don't play SHMUP much, so I might say something totally wrong [​IMG] .

Anyway, Ketsui.... that Ketsui ?

12. Yeah, that Ketsui. Though obviously instead of a direct port it would be more like a remix.

I also enjoy older shmups, but it normally doesn't take long for me to quit in frustration. It's like moving in slow motion to The One Spot That Kills Me over and over again. I don't have the patience for that.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I ignore TGM+ mode for exactly the same reasons. There's a nasty pattern that comes up around 500 and 900 (same pattern) and it's pretty much the only thing that can kill me.