Lockjaw: The Tetromino Game

Thread in 'Discussion' started by tepples, 13 Jun 2006.

1. You've got the right idea. You just forgot the combo, which gives 608*7 for 4256.

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

More explanation of the formula would be appreciated on the wiki.

LOCKJAW 0.14 is out

0.14 (2006-08-1B):
    • pause() is now pauseGame() to fix namespace collision on platforms with unistd.h (Linux, BSD, Mac).
    • Gimmick settings for initial gravity, ARE, and ceiling height are initialized from a lookup table.
    • History 6 Rolls randomizer uses correct initial history (ZSZS) and correct selection for the first piece (I, J, L, or T).
    • Blocks are drawn connected within each tetromino if ljconn.bmp is present.
    • Corrected connection table for O tetromino.
    • Rhythm's BPM counter increases after every 64 beats, not every 64 tetrominoes.
    • Added Low Vs. gimmick:
      Like Vs. CPU with a low ceiling.

3. Ah, that explains it, thanks. From the description I thought the combo only kicked in after successive line clears. Duh.

4. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

version .14 for mac is out and uploaded.

5. ooohhh, tepples, this game rules. play is very nice, and the customizations are the icing on the cake. I just got the 'baboo' title. without sounding ungrateful, could i offer a few extra options that i would love to see:

1. allow for an alternate hold button.(i use a controller, and like to have both shoulder buttons operate the hold)

2. is the #of next pieces variable? like 0,1,3,5 relating to different versions.

3. can starting level speed be adjustable, akin to nes tetris?

perhaps some of these are already implemented and i am just overlooking?

thanks for the awesome work,

deepdorp

6. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

maybe you could make it possible to map two keys to one item, like they have in MAME and some other games.

7. Three things, from least desired to most.

3. Previews over shadow. An interesting idea developed by a quadra modder. You may want to see it in action.

2. Instant soft drop. In other words, the ability to hard/lock with one button and hard/slide as a soft drop.

1. Improved "instant" DAS. Right now, 60hz goes a bit faster than instant. Instant is instant, yes-- but with a slow initial delay. As you can see in the quadra vid, pros react insanely fast. I've seen some tnet2 players set their initial delay to less than 40ms (though most range from 80 to 120).

Course, none of these go above a demo funtion, and as always, keep up the good work tepples. so far, lj's the most complete tetromino game i've played.

8. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

#3 i think is a cool idea. would be fun to see how it turns out. as for #2, i modified the source to have softdrop auto drop and i liked it. and #1 if you want something like that you could modify the sources and compile a version of your own to have these modifications, if your interested it doesn't take much know-how. first you go to tepples site and download the tools listed there, the pm me and i will tell you exactly what to change.

9. great. thanks cds. i do plan to eventually go through it all and make my own little modifications-- a caffeine skin, if you will. though, i think i want to wait a few versions before i do that. good to know there's now two people who can help with the code stuff.

10. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

so i have to know, is there anyone else that thinks skin support in the accual lockjaw program is a good idea?

11. i like that idea.

12. i second the notion.

skin support is always cool in almost anything

13. tepples

If I concentrate on skin support, it may take me three releases to iron out all the bugs in things on which skin support might depend. Luckily for all of you, LOCKJAW 0.15 will be the first of those three releases.

14. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

oh nice, sounds good.

15. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

one more post

16. tepples

LOCKJAW 0.15 is out

0.15 (2006-08-27):
    • Options for DAS delay, number of next pieces, and window vs. full screen.
    • Options scrolling doesn't cause the dialog's title and instructions to flicker.
    • Small font's 5 glyph is the same width as other digits.
    • Fixed O shape table.
    • Macros (vkey->action mappings past the first B) are in a lookup table in the new file macro.c. This paves the way for a future macro editor.
    • Added macros Alt. Firm Drop and Alt. Hold.
    • Game Keys displays names for all keys, not just printable keys.
    • In Sega rotation mode, reads block images from ljblocks-sega.bmp and ljconn-sega.bmp if available.
    • If ljbg.jpg is not available, uses a plain white backdrop.
    • Reads file names for block images, background image, and music from lj.ini, which the player can edit with a text editor.
    • New "6-piece Bag" randomizer is one stick short of a bundle.
    • Added an arrangement of the minuet from JS Bach's French Suite in B minor (BWV 814) to lj-contrib.
    If you use instant DAS, please re-download.

I was brought up on The New Tetris, which allows only the L button for hold. But try joy2key, or see below.

It is in 0.15.

Is Rhythm too easy for you?

Interesting.

292 tpm? Wow. That'd be like playing Rhythm with "Paranoia Survivor MAX". If only I could see a whole single-player game at this rate; it would push one of "death 800", "shirase", and "dtet vs. prince" off my cousin's top viewed list. But how does anyone even defend against 10 garbage lines at once? Or is Quadra more of a race toward first attack?

Have you tried binding the far left and far right keys?

DAS delay in 0.14 was hardcoded at 10 frames (166 ms) in ljpc.c (search for leftRightAuto), close to TDS (which is 183 ms delay, 12 Hz rate), and did not depend on DAS rate. But in 0.15 it is an option. I'll eventually have to make it controllable by the gimmick in order to implement TGM2 death mode.

That said, some of these requests could be filled by a macro editor. Each macro in 0.15 is defined as a struct with the following fields:
    1. rotation in 90 degree units (+ for clockwise, - for anticlockwise)
    2. sideways movement in blocks (+ for right, - for left)
    3. downward movement in blocks
    4. extra actions
    Some example macros:
    • Alternate rotate left: (-1, 0, 0, 0)
    • Rotate left twice: (-2, 0, 0, 0)
    • Far left: (0, -9, 0, 0)
    • Far right: (0, 9, 0, 0)
    • Sonic drop: (0, 0, 20, 0)
    • Sonic lock: (0, 0, 20, LOCK)
    • Alternate hold: (0, 0, 0, HOLD)
    And how should I specify which macros are "initial", that is, which ones retrigger when a piece enters the playfield? I guess I'll need a fifth field that specifies when.

Another thing: The option screen is already starting to fill up even in the smaller font. Before you suggest a lot of options, please read about interface elegance. Should it scroll, or should it be broken into pages?

You sure know how to game the system, don't you? [​IMG]

17. awesome. lockjaw is definitely the fastest tetromino game available. as for the elegance thing. i don't necessarily believe excessive options can hinder design. look at counter-strike. the interface provides for a few options, but config files are huge among the more advanced players. maybe there should be a cfg file for all the advanced stuff.

also, quadra bpm isn't real-time (it compensates for line clears); though, i clocked that last scene's "in-between line clears" tpm at 260! pretty crazy.

18. Alpha Omicron

Alpha Omicron Unregistered

Lockjaw rocks. I can delete all my emulated console games!

PS: If anyone wants altered ljblocks and ljconn files made to show GB Color blocks, gimme a shout at thefringthing @ gmail.com. I'll prolly make a bunch more.

19. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

i ported it, i'm just feeling lazy and not wanting to build the package... anyways it should be uploaded by the end of the day. and what happened to the fabled skin support you were talking about on irc?

20. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

lockjaw .15 mac version is uploaded