Lockjaw Improvement

Thread in 'Discussion' started by wksrdg, 15 May 2008.

1. I have been pondering about some questions for a few weeks. I guess this would be a good place to ask. I tried lockjaw a few weeks ago. After some amount of play I got around to ~110 tpm and ~59sec clear in the 40 line mode. But, more or less, this seemed to be the current wall for me based on my current skill. Now I play tetris casually and sporadically but still I would like to use settings and methods which lead to good improvement in the long run. There are a few settings I have noticed with players having high tpm.

1) Most good players are using more than 1 piece preview. I am not used to more than 1 preview so when I set the preview to 2 my speed goes down. Currently I am more comfortable with 1 but will I get adjusted to 2 previews if I play for long enough?

2) Most players are using SRS rotation. Even those who are used toTGM ARS are playing with SRS. Is SRS more suitable/faster for 0G play or is it just a matter of preference? I am more comfortable with ARS currently so that's why I am asking this question.

3) I have read something along the lines of using 3 rotation buttons? Setting the Z rotation to C? What is the benefit of that? Currently I only use two finger for Z and X. Is it worth adjusting to a new control scheme?

2. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

1. Yeah, I would highly recommend using more than one preview. Being able to use more is always better for speed and planning in this case. Though you may feel uncomfortable now, you'll get used to it gradually with constant exposure, and you may even feel uncomfortable going back to having one preview.

2. SRS is better than ARS for 0G because it has extra orientations for S, Z, and I tetrominoes that allow for more efficient free-fall finesse. Also, I notice the default orientations of the L, J, and T for SRS tend to support flat stacking as well and therefore require fewer rotations. Though ARS still outperforms SRS in terms of speed when it comes to 20G imo.

3. Having an extra CCW button is only recommended by TGM players in TGM games because it helps with rotating 180 degrees mainly in 20G. If your aim is 0G, having a true 180 degrees rotation for C is miles better than having a second CCW button. I would definitely recommend learning 180 degrees early as it will be far harder later on. It'll pay out greatly in the future because you will never have to rotate more than once.

3. Well thanks for the response. That pretty much answers my questions.

4. I have been able to get a sub 50 time (barely though) after some practice. I am hopeful that I will be getting some 49's in 40 line mode as recently I have been more crossing 120 tpm more consistently.

Now my next goal is getting a sub 45 time. Any tips on how to improve in this particular speed region. I am using 2 piece previews and grid background in playing area. There was advice given by tepples in the other thread about turning the shadow piece off. This actually seems to help alot in terms of enforcing muscle memory. I still keep the blocks visible in well to avoid getting completely lost. My best time with shadow piece off is 90sec. Will practicing this way help me significantly with the standard game? Also, any other tips or particular areas to focus on would be greatly appreciated.

5. orz

orz

turning off the shadow will absolutely help you as instead of looking at where the piece is going then responding you'll have the moves for each piece down to muscle memory

6. I can get 44 somewhat consistently now; even got a fluke 41.I set the auto-scroll delay to 116 ms and the speed to 60 Hz. I am not sure how this translates to frames. Can anyone explain? I am getting slower time in block box. However, I know the reason is simply smaller playing field and the position of previews (above the field instead of right).

However, I am not getting good time in tetris online either. I usually peak around 52. My guess is that this is because of slow auto-scroll speed. I even got the level 4 auto-scroll (the second row from the top). But it seems that only affects the delay and not the speed. Is there any way to change the speed? If there is no way to change it, how are people getting good times with such low scroll speed.

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Which version are you running? If you're running 0.42 or later (PC) or 0.32 or later (GBA/DS), it should be displaying both frames and milliseconds.

8. As far as Tetris Online goes people are able to get good speeds by being able to rapidly hit the left and right buttons really fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHTO5PxCr98 this is a video of Blink playing Tetris Friends Sprint which has a really slow sideways scroll. All that I can suggest is getting use to tapping the buttons for each side movement really fast. It is not easy to do though.