Line Clear mode scores

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Webby, 20 Sep 2006.

1. I'm playing against one of my best friends and we alternate in breaking eachothers scores, pushing our limits in marathon and line clear. Line clear stopped after getting only tetrisses at speed 20, height 5. So I figured out that the following counts as t-spin:

Code:
    | T    |
    |TTT   |
    | XXXXXXXXX|
    Code:
    |T    |
    |TT    |
    |TXXXXXXXXX|
    And that the same thing also works in this situation:

Code:
    |L    |
    |L T   |
    |LTTT   |
    |L XXXXXXXX|
    Code:
    |L    |
    |LT    |
    |LTT   |
    |LTXXXXXXXX|
    But so far it only got my score with only tetrisses and 5 t-spins to 212.500.

When I look on cyberscore it gets me on the 10th place. How do they get those insane scores. Sully should at least be able to explain something, since he's 2nd [​IMG]

2. Thanks, i found the link. I'll post it here for reference: link.

3. tetrisdude

tetrisdude Unregistered

i recommend a lot of triple t-spins on 20 g [​IMG]

4. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Actually, it's all about using the "ST Stack" method to get t-spin doubles, which are worth the most points per line. On height 0, with a perfect run of 13 straight t-spin doubles, you can get well over 400k. You need to start at height 2 and have a perfect run to break 500k.

I'm at 468k and practicing daily, hellbent on breaking 500k.

5. So far i manage to get 3 t-spin doubles (ST-method) and then i mess up so bad it can't be finished anymore. Unfortunatly my battery is empty now. I don't strive for the 400 or 500k so far. just want to break my 212.500. One goal at a time [​IMG]

6. Sully

Sully Unregistered

ST stacking takes tons of practice. On Line Clear, I'm yet to get a perfect 25 line run, and on Marathon I've only made it to 30 lines once (without screwing up). A perfect Marathon run would be over 3 million.

7. tetrisdude

tetrisdude Unregistered

could you explain the "ST" stacking method?

8. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

The ST double setup is superficially similar to one of the t-spin triple setups but allegedly much easier.

First build a lot of this, and then drop an S and spin a T:

Code:
     |     |  |     |
     |  XXXXXX|  |  XXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  | XXXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  | XXXXXXX|
     |  XXXXXX|  |  XXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  | XXXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX| => | XXXXXXX|
     |  XXXXXX|  |STTTXXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  |SSTXXXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  | S XXXXXXX|

Each iteration of this leaves behind a row of blocks. Eventually you'll get a few rows of predictable garbage, which you can use for tetrises:
    Code:
     |     |  |     |
     |  XXXXXX|  |  XXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  | XXXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  | XXXXXXX|
     |  XXXXXX|  |  XXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  | XXXXXXX|
     | XXXXXXX|  | XXXXXXX|
     | X XXXXXXX| => |IXIXXXXXXX|
     | X XXXXXXX|  |IXIXXXXXXX|

EDIT: I wikified this in [[ST stacking]].

9. tetrisdude

tetrisdude Unregistered

10. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Sorry to go off topic, but how'd you manage that 8300 rating?

11. tetrisdude

tetrisdude Unregistered

to be completely honest i just played a ton of games....And did really good and i hoping to continue my winning streak. [​IMG]

12. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Winning Streak? I've gone on mad tears before and I've never even sniffed 8k!

13. For what it's worth, a perfect run on 20-4 capped with a TST should be just enough to break 500k. Ending with a TSD instead is much easier, but leaves you just a little bit short (see: my current score on cyberscore).

I'm really curious as to how people have managed scores well above 500k. I would presume that they work in some TSTs somewhere, but wow...setting up TSTs gracefully is a tall order. In theory you could probably also pull off an ST stack run on 20-5, but in practice I always top out near the end.

14. Sully

Sully Unregistered

According to my calculations, a perfect run (13 t-spin doubles) on 20-2 will score 501600. The first is worth 26400, the rest are worth 36600.

Or am I missing something?

15. Sully

Sully Unregistered

There is a better way to build for tetrises where you use an L and a J insetad of an S and the stack stays perfect:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Brilliant stuff. ST stacking is new to me.

And Sully, nice work on the gifs. The colours gives better understanding for me [​IMG]

17. My first goal will be 3 TSD's and then finsihing it with tetrisses, something like this:

Code:
    | XXXXXXX|
    | LXXXXXXX|
    | SLXXXXXXX|
    | SLXXXXXXX|
    | SLXXXXXXX|
    The same can be done with 4 and 5 TSD's, so i can try one more every time i succeed ...

18. Sully

Sully Unregistered

There are a bunch of ways to get around an imperfect stack (leaving three rows between the space instead of two), and I'll illustrate all those when I get a chance.

Maybe I'll mess with The TOOL to try to make an animation.

On a sidenote, you can't afford to clear Tetrises in Line Clear, but you have to in order to not top out in Marathon.

19. Can you really avoid clearing any tetrises on 20-2? I suppose that makes sense -- you only have to clear one on 20-4, and it has four more lines of garbage.

Well, damn. Guess I have to go break 500k now.