Knockout Tetris Garbage

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Guest, 27 Mar 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Unregistered

I have a question:

If I make a Tetris my opponent gets 4 lines of garbage leaving one hole in every row.

In which column do the holes come? In my opinion the holes are not randomized, as they are placed a long time in the same column, but i can't find a rule for it. Sometimes the column changes.

I've read your strategy guide and your Tetris DS-guide but I can't find an answer to this question.

I'm playing Tetris DS.

Thanks in advance

Cupid

2. i haven't found out exactly how the garbage randomizer works, yet. sometimes it comes all in a row-- sometimes it doesn't. i've noticed it comes more random as i put my handicap up in friends games, but as far as standard wifi play, i'm as stumped as you are.

3. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Thanks!

OK... I just thought i did not see it.

Cupid

4. Guest

Guest Unregistered

When all the garbage holes are lined up in Tetris DS WIFi it's almost as if you help your opponent as oposed to random holes.

Here is my guess of how it works.

If you put your "I" piece in the same spot over and over the holes are lined up. If you switch it up it leaves random holes. Thats just a theory but I really want to know the truth

5. Bob

Bob Unregistered

I am trying to figure out garbage placement myself.

I have been playing Tetris DS Classic Vs. getting back to back tetrii in the furthest right column every time, and these are my results.

X markes the hole in the garbage.

The following are true back to back tetrii, I actually dropped the I piece one right after another using Tetris DS's hold function. and since I am only playing the level 1 computer I usually get both tetrii in before he drops a piece to seperate the garbage:

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOOOXOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

------------------

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

------------------

OOOOOOOXOO

OOOOOOOXOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

The following is the same as above, except the tetrii are performed in the left column instead:

OOOOOOXOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

------------------

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOXOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

------------------

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOXOOOO

Then I set it up so I could get one tetris in the left column and the back to back one in the right column, for some reason in Tetris DS this sends 10 lines of garbage instead of 9... :

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

Lastly I did my back to back and my stack was so high I had change left over for another tetris, four pieces later I sent another tetris (all in the right-most column) and this is what it looks like:

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

So... I have no idea what to make of this, I was hoping maybe someone here could. My belief is that where the hole forms is dependent on where the last piece (or maybe even last few pieces) was/were placed on either (or maybe both) players screen(s). However, I don't have a camera so I have no way of recording my gameplay and collecting my data.

6. Bob

Bob Unregistered

I'm sorry, I just replicated the left-right tetris two more times and both times they gave 9 lines of garbage, I don't know how I counted ten last time.

7. Bob

Bob Unregistered

I took a break and left my DS on... and now I get this keep in mind I almost always complete my tetrii but putting an I peice on the right-most side:

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

==========

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

==========

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOXOOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

==========

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

==========

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOXOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

==========

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OXOOOOOOOO

==========

XOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOOX

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOXOOOO

OOOOOOOOOX

OOXOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

OOXOOOOOOO

==========

XOOOOOOOOO

XOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

I just managed 4 back to back tetrii... it looks like this:

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOXOOO

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOOOOOXO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

OOOOXOOOOO

For the most part everything now is coming out straight... as odd as it may sound, I think that it might have something to do with what time it is or how long the system has been on. Damn it I just wish there were a simple solution to this.

8. You should read the front page... I think your theory is just a chance association. [​IMG]

Anyways I think there is a simple explanation. Look at this tally:

#Repeats: 103

#Changes: 49

It's still a fairly small sample, but it seems plausible to me that 2/3 of the time the game keeps the same column for its garbage hole, and 1/3 of the time it changes to a new spot.

Bob, you seem quite detail oriented. Would you be willing to transcribe, say, 1500 pieces for me? As in, start a round of Endless and note which pieces you get as you go along. I've made a program that can process the information if you write it in a standard manner in a TXT file. I've used it to successfully analyze the piece randomizer in TGM games. TDS also seems to not be purely random (unlike the early Tetris games that would give 6 Z pieces in a row). It might be neat to figure out what it does.

If you're up to the task let me know and I'll tell you the proper format.

9. Guest

Guest Unregistered

I spent quite a while trying to figure out how the garbage works, and I came to the same conclusion. In fact, I think those are the exact fractions I'd conjectured. I did about 150 lines worth of testing with only tetrises, and about 150 lines worth with mixed doubles and triples; there wasn't really any difference.

Additionally, I've heard that adjusting the handicap for friends matches can make garbage "more random". That's easily explained if we assume the garbage works like this; a higher handicap means a higher chance that the hole location will change when you get a new garbage line.

10. Well then, if all 450 lines of garbage are pointing at the same ratio, it sounds like it's case closed.

Something to consider: There are 2 different parsimonious models for this.

1. 2/3 Same, 1/3 Other

2. 2/3 Same, 1/3 Random -> 7/10 Same, 3/10 Other

I skipped some algebra there, but anyone comfortable with probability can easily figure it out. The distinction between 'other' and 'random' is that other is distinctly a non-repeat while random chooses a new spot... which may possibly be a repeat 1/10 of the time.

This detail changes the odds in favour of a repeat by about 3.33%, from 66.66% to 70.00%. So if you guys consistently notice slightly more than 2/3 of lines being repeats, this might explain it.

11. K

K

hmmm, is that ultimate question that require so much brainstorming is really useful ? [​IMG]

12. Bob

Bob Unregistered

So, how many lines would it take to distinguish an accurate difference between 1:3 and 3:10 odds of other?

13. Bob

Bob Unregistered

And also, that very first hole in garbage, is that considered a repeat, an other, or neither? I'm going with neither.

14. It's ignored... It's necessary but worthless.

And short of disassembling the game's code you'll never truly know what's going on. The more lines you analyze the better your guess will be though.

15. Bob

Bob Unregistered

Current ratio 446:172 same:other

Which is 446/668 which is 66.7%, not sure if I want to go on anymore.

16. so does this mean 2/3 of the time it lines up and 1/3 it switches columns?

17. Bob

Bob Unregistered

MY MISTAKE!

446:172 same:other equates to 446/618 (72.17%) chance for the hole to be in the same spot, 27.83% chance that it will shift. I will add to these numbers later.

18. Bob

Bob Unregistered

722:283 puts my ratio just over 1000... 722/(722+283) = 71.84%

I think this is as close as we can get without actually opening our tetris DS carts. [​IMG]

If anyone else wants to continue my work go ahead.

19. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Thanks, thats hard work you have done! maybe it's 11/16 or 176/256 if they use random bytes...

20. Stan64

Stan64 Unregistered

"Apparently the higher your Wifi Ranking score is, the garbage lines sent TO you may be more randomized."