KeyBlox - Typomino/Typing Tetromino Clone

Thread in 'Discussion' started by DDRKirby(ISQ), 25 Dec 2009.

1. Version 1.03 released! This version adds a screenshot key--press F2 ingame to save a screenshot to the executable directory. The filename should be created automatically based on date, game mode, and completion time. (Note that in 2-minute mode, the filename still contains completion time instead of number of lines. I realize this is pointless, and will fix it in the next release =P)

2. Note: the screenshot feature will currently cause the game to crash (and not save a screenshot) in the windows version. This has been fixed and won't be a problem in the next release.

3. Version 1.04 released!
    -Fixed a bug that caused taking a screenshot to crash the game in the Windows version.
    -Taking a screenshot in 2-minute mode when the game has ended now appends the number of lines instead of the completion time (which was obviously useless).
    -Screenshot naming convention tweaked slightly--appends an 's' for seconds and an 'l' for lines, depending on game mode.
    -Music mode implemented--when enabled, piece sounds play but no pieces drop. =P
    -Added a short and sweet credits screen.
    -Auto screenshot setting--when enabled, a screenshot is saved automatically whenever you complete a game.
    -Bastet randomizer implemented! Randomly chooses among pieces that will clear the least possible number of lines given the current playfield state. Compatible with deep drop and big mode, but locks piece previews at 0 and disables hold.

4. I find myself trying to press A and ; to place pieces at the edges even in Big mode. It doesn't work.

5. hm, i guess i could implement that.

edit: okay, implemented. I want to try and get custom key remapping done before i release a new version though.

Last edited: 1 May 2010
  6. please implement *switch clockwise and counter-clockwise* for 40 KEY mode.
    i'm annoyed because if you think about it, most people use clockwise rotation primarily (well i do at least) and hence the most used keys usually on a keyboard are asdfghjlk; (home row) followed by (qwertyuiop) row above it. also my fingers seem to want to hit the row above for clockwise rotation and the row below for counter-clockwise :/

7. good point. that would be fixed by complete key remappings (which i'm working on for the next release), but I guess I could have a separate option for that as well.

8. Cool game! I figured out the controls pretty quickly but it takes me 5 seconds of thinking to drop each piece. Of course I'm sure I'll get faster in the future.

One thing I'm wondering, is there a way to fix holes as in a regular tetris game? example: if you start with an s or z tetromino, you inevitably create a hole beneath the piece.

To fix this, a feature you could consider adding is "pivot left" or "pivot right" which is activate by holding left shift or right shift respectively while pressing the key to drop. This would drop the piece in its appropriate location, and once it hits the floor, attempt to move in the appropriate direction as far as possible to close any gaps. Hopefully you understand what I mean. This may be difficult to program but it would remove any limitations from a regular tetris game.

9. there's actually a feature called "deep drop" that's enabled by default that lets you drop pieces "through" other pieces. =)

Of course, you can also play with deep drop disabled. It's not quite that bad--creating holes in this game doesn't hinder you much at all since there is no line clear delay, so as long as you dig through the garbage at some point it doesn't harm you (other than forcing you to think a little more).

plus, you can also just hold the piece (unless you have an SZ start or something)

10. Ah ok, I didn't notice the deep drop feature before. That works too. :)

11. say that i (hypothetically) wanted to macro 40keys controls to another tetris clone, i wouldnt be able to do it with say, pieces "centered". Which control set would i have to learn so that i could just macro 40 keys and be able to play any tetris clone with 40key controls?

12. i don't think it's possible to be able to macro it for any arbitrary tetris clone; at least not optimally. It depends on the starting position of the pieces in said tetris clone, as well as relative positions when you orient them.

Looking over the ARS/SRS charts again, I think the "centered" orientation might actually do it for both of them, though.

13. UR S and Z are the wrong colours in SRS mode
    FIX IT IMMEDIATELY ARGH MY FINGERS ARE LEARNING THE WRONG FINESSE!!!

14. wow SRS is weird. ok.

15. is it doneyet? i wanna get faster <3 ddrkirby ur program is win. i would make one myself but cbb coz i already have a 40L clone for normal controlz.

16. patience my friend...it's 4:00AM where i live and i'm doing work -_-

17. dude it should be like two hash defines + compile + upload :/ ok please do it soon i want it within 20 minutes <3 i'll share my uber 40L illegalness cloen with u for reward.

ps. what songs can u do on teh ddr. i'm up to TLoM and MaXX Unlimited now (i got B on both of them but sitll cant pass consistently)

18. i can either make a million stupid hacky untested versions with minimal changes, or I can actually push out a release that addresses multiple changes (including your 40-key fix, as well as fully remappable controls, plus some other changes i've already implemented). And even if I WANTED to make a quick release, I'd still have to compile it on 3 different platforms, one which I don't even have regular access to. if you want it that badly, just switch the colors in the block image yourself. it takes less than 20 minutes and can be done in mspaint. complaining just makes me waste more time on long-winded posts like this due to lack of sleep. I'm going to bed.

19. o lol sorry ddrkirby for upsetting you when you had many a lack of sleep.

I shall go change those images.

goodnight, sweet pink prince.

<3 kirby (ddr is forever!)

ps u totally pwned me with the paint remark LOL OWNED

20. Sorry I haven't updated yet. RL is taking its toll on me lately, but I'll attempt to get around to it in the next week or two. Maybe.