Is this stick any good?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by sjoecool1991, 19 Jan 2008.

1. Go to the "Others" tab in Joy2Key and enable "Use POV switches" and it'll work.

2. Go into the Control Panel and stick properties, and you can see what the button numbers are when you press them. They're ordered in a pretty odd way.

It also seems that one is button 12, but there's only actually 11 buttons on the stick.

EDIT: I'd also recommend you don't use the top row of buttons for FFR. Use the main ones (X, O, etc) because they're far more responsive.

3. Sorry.. i missed that question.

Here's the layout for the stick:

Code:
            (13) (9) (7) (8)    (10)

POV-UP         (4) (3) (5)
    POV-LEFT    POV-RIGHT
        POV-DOWN        (1) (2) (6)

4. But I use spread [​IMG]

5. Pick either the top left two and bottom right two, or the top right two and the bottom left two. That's what I do. Hands aren't much more cramped than with the top row of buttons, but they're far better things that you're pressing.

6. Um, wow, I didn't expect my skill to improve so fast with the stick.

My old TA Death record was 149.

I plugged in the stick and BAM, it became 280.

7. i didn't want to start a new topic for just this one question, but......
    i think i'd like to take the plunge to using a joystick, and from everything i read here, the VSHG sounds like the best. it sounded like earlier this year the stick was going for around $100+shipping, but i'm seeing it on ebay stores right now for like $190-200+. can anyone help me find a better deal than that, or have i missed the bandwagon? thanks for any help,
    -deep-

8. You've missed the bandwagon. The VSHG isn't being produced any more.

Best bet would be a HRAP3, or to wait for the new generation of joysticks to come out. Or buy the parts and make your own. Though depending on the Ebay shipping, the price might not actually be so bad for the VSHG's. Shipping to America or Europe from Japan is very expensive. I spent as much on shipping as I did for the VSHG itself.

9. The HRAP3 is bigger (I like it) than VSHG. It also has more functions; turbo and a switch which makes you being able to choose what direction input on the PS3 controller the stick should be. This can solve some problems in certain games on the PC not wanting to react if the stick is configured to be the D-pad for example. If it was a VSHG, you'd be screwed, but with HRAP3 you can just pull the switch.

The stick (seen in maaaany japanese game centers) in the HRAP3 is also the same stick as there is in VSHG. The buttons are Hori buttons, but standard Sanwa-buttons are not expensive and you can easily open up the thing and replace the Hori buttons. ...this if you REALLY want it to be 100% arcade. The Hori buttons aren't bad.

The stick can be found at http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-5ju ... -84-p.html

or http://www.akihabarashop.jp/developments/index.php (they also have the buttons. I bought my HRAP3:AV with eight buttons from there)

10. Not "screwed". Just forced to use JoyToKey or a similar program.

11. Of course, but that means hassle and maybe lag? I dunno if JoyToKey lags anything. [​IMG]

12. so would an HRAP3 for PS3(japan) be different than an HRAP3 for PS3(USA)? i'm seeing the former at a relatively decent price($76 for stick+$54 for shipping). I would not be using this for anything other than my PC, but i am wondering if they are inherently different.

13. I wasn't aware that there even was a USA HRAP3. Are you sure it's not simply a US supplier selling Japanese imports?

14. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I'd imagine that the NTSC U/C version of the controller comes with a manual in American English and a warranty valid in the United States and Canada.

Now what driver do I need to use PS3 joysticks on a PC running Windows XP? Or Ubuntu?

15. Muf

Muf

It's a USB Human Interface Device. You just plug it in and it works. Isn't modern technology amazing? [​IMG]

16. i ordered the HRAP3 from play-asia this past weekend, and it has already arrived! it was very easy to set up and configure(i opened it right up and turned the restrictor plate to 4-way action), but it will definitely take me a little bit to get used to over the game pad. i feel so far though that it is a more authentic experience, arcade-wise. so at least i'll be prepared if i ever encounter a 'real' arcade cabinet out there. thanks for any and all advice that i've received from the forum, you guys rule! oh, and the japanese-specific unit appears to be just that the instructions(back of box) is in japanese as someone had already mentioned, but i can confirm this now.

17. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

How much for the HRAP3 ?

18. it was (us$)$76 + $54 for shipping.

19. seems deepdorp got the same exact offer I did, at exactly the same time