Interest in Tetris for PSP homebrew?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Kasumi, 8 Oct 2011.

1. So someone (nahucirujano) commented on my youtube channel, asking if NDS_TGM is available for PSP. Well, It's not. ^^

But it's known by some people here that I made "Endless Tetris" for PC. What's not known is that I ported it to PSP. For some reason I'm a grinch and wanna keep the endless stuff under my hat. I've never released either version. I actually never would have made the PSP version, but the one other person in the world who has the PC version actually likes PSP's dpad. I made it for him. I don't even play it.

I was originally going to PM it to nahucirujano and ask him not to distribute it, but I guess I have no problem with releasing a not Endless version. If I release this, here are the rules:

1. Don't expect updates. Why not? I haven't even touched the PC version in months, and that's the one I actually intend to finish. I'm a terrible programmer and don't even begin to know how to cross compile. The game logic works on PSP by just copying the .c files, but Microsoft Visual studio allows me to do things the PSP compiler yells at. I have to do a lot of work for some of the headers.
    2. You'll likely get one or two modes (That will be switched with triangle or Square button! :awe: What's a menu?), and they WILL be inaccurate. No level jumps for playing well in master (Like NDS_TGM), no credit roll. Maybe no locking soft drop. (Just firm drop, hard drop.) I only intended to clone the TGM rotation system, and even that's not 100% because there are things about it I don't like, and don't understand. I wanted to make my own Tetris game with its own modes, but now I program things that actually make and can make money so this has been on hiatus forever.

Here's the features List as of now:
    * Mostly proper Ti ARS. Floorkicks are different as is behavior for up/down across pieces, but other than that I think it's perfect. NDS_TGM style TAP rules (TAP rotation with wall kicks for I, Tetrises are worth 6) is also in, but not regular TAP rotation. (There's no way to select it in the PSP version, it has to be chosen at compile time)
    *Accurate timings, unless what I've been told is wrong.

Here's the Anti-features list as of now:
    *No pause! JUST LIKE THE ARCADE VERSION! B)
    *No Timer. There's one in the PC version, but I couldn't be bothered to figure it out on PSP.
    *Stolen Texmaster graphics! I will probably change this to some crappy graphics I made. Stealing assets is only cool for test builds, not releases.
    *No Analog nub support. THERE WILL NEVER BE ANALOG NUB SUPPORT! I have to open my PSP to clean the thing out every couple of months, or the thing never centers and returns crazy values. Adding any menu to make it optional is too much trouble.
    *No Audio, no background
    *No loss condition. The original game was endless, so I never programmed one in. In this when the top is reached, blocks will just keep spawning on top of the solid ones.
    *No grading. Analog nub support is more likely than grading.
    *No four way movement. You can lock a piece while holding left or right and keep your DAS charge.
    *No credit rolls, no skipping 100 levels forward in the speed curve for playing well.

With all this whining from the developer, is there still any interest? I imagine the answer would be, "Sure, why not?" from most of you. Making this thread just allows me time to clean it up some, which may take a couple days/weeks. :p I feel like releasing something to prove I've actually used the information I got from all my whining/annoying questions in the linked threads. (Hi, Zaphod!) Plus PSP has never had a TGM clone, the closest you can get is emulating Sega's Tetris.

No PC version. No reason to want it anyway. Without endless mode, texmaster is bigger, better, faster.

It's probably clear by now this won't have editable controls. Right now X is counter clockwise rotation, Circle is clockwise rotation, R is hold, select is ragequit. That leaves Triangle, Square, L and start free for toggling options. Will an extra rotation or hold button be needed by anyone who will use this? I know some people like L as hold.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  2. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Hi. (chuckle)

I actually have one of those around.

I'm sure people would be interested in a quality tetris for PSP.

3. There's no reason why we wouldn't be interested in any TGM version in any support :).

I am actually playing the PSN version dowloaded on my PSP (strictly the same than the PS3's one) and was thinking about wasting time to be sure the ROM of TGM doesn't work/exist for the PSP version on Mame, but if you canoffer us a better alternative :)

4. I think you'd have to stretch the definitions of "quality" and "better" for this. It's bare bones. No menus, no anything.

There also won't be a ghost piece. Not that there's one for more than 100 levels in TAP/Ti anyway, but I forgot to add that to anti features list. ;) Also no torikans, because no timer.

Any thoughts on the controls I have at the bottom of the post?

I'm thinking of doing it like this: d-pad, ROXselect used for game stuff.
    L switches between Ti and TAP, Triangle switches between modes. This way you can play TAP master and Death with TAP rotation (and I wallkicks, Tetris bonuses as described above), and Ti Master and Shirase with Ti rotation and I don't even have to add a menu!

Actually, how about triangle switches rotation systems, square changes modes, but you have to hold start (or L) down to activate them to decrease the likelihood of accidental presses during an actual game? Whether it's start or L depends on if people want L as hold piece.

nicofromtokyo: Let me know if you get TGM or TAP working! It's been a while since I've tried, and there have been updates to the PSP MAMEs since then. I'd be very interested in that.

Also, I don't know if anyone who doesn't follow the homebrew scene is aware. But because PSP signing was cracked, this can work on ANY PSP, whether you have it modded it or not.

I'm sorta busy this weekend, but you all can probably expect this on or before wednesday.

5. Muf

Muf

Whenever you write that I picture this.
    [​IMG]

6. I would be Very Interested in a game like this :D

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  7. I'm interested, but only if there's an alternate counter-clockwise rotation on Square.

8. Okay. So... based on the fact that TGM-K might have an actual release date (good timing, heh), I'm wondering if I should even still do this. I may still PM it to some members, but you guys would really have to not distribute it. (And uh... it's probably not getting done by today, I still haven't got where I want on my other project. Have to get that done before I start with this)

9. Mmm, probably you should wait.. I mean, if the homebrew is released, I would not like to lose the chance to have an official tgm psp game...
    I know that is not casuality that the game were announced the same day you was gonna...
    But I really would like to see what type of TGM game they create for PSP ;)

10. Muf

Muf

[​IMG]

11. K

K

this one should be added in the emoticon list