I'm currently your newest member and I need your guidance!

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Ai, 18 Apr 2008.

1. Ai

Ai

Nice overview! That is very helpful. And nice sig by the way! O.o

2. What do you play to see your tpm?

3. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Lockjaw is a great tool for this purpose. Heboris also keeps track of these stats in certain modes but for most, you'll have to manually calculate the tetrominoes per time.

4. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Tetris New Century, and all of the games that come with it, even original sega arcade tetris, have lock delay. ANd in TNC you can change it to classic, which is step reset.

and TnC gives you stats about your game afterwards too. too bad it's only for JP ps2s (and people with hdloader)

5. ... and people that use swap discs, and people that use memory card exploits, and people that use modchips, etc.

6. Lockjaw 40 lines mode, but I only count completed runs, as I can fast top out at 546tpm...

7. Ai

Ai

Hard to believe that it's already been a year since I joined the forum. Just felt like bumping the first thread I created with my first post. ^^

I've come a long way in a year, but I still feel like a tetris noob. Well it's not really surprising with so many quality players around. I'm also far from satisfied with the progress I've made, especially when I see new members overtake me easily in some areas.

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and support. I wouldn't have come this far on my own. And if you have some more advice it's always welcome! ^^

8. jujube

jujube Unregistered

feeling like a noob isn't a bad thing, but you're being modest of course. when you surround yourself with serious tetris players it keeps you from patting yourself on the back and being satisfied with surpassing all of your friends. if i hadn't come to this forum, i would probably be a casual player, satisfied with beating TDS marathon and the level 5 cpu occasionally. now i can, uh, beat level 5 consistently [​IMG]

but the best part about being here is being exposed to all of the tetris variations, with all of the rotation systems and rule sets.

9. But since I'm on the road most of the time, can TDS or some TGM clone for DS be a good substitute for training?

10. jujube

jujube Unregistered

sure, why not. you have to make the most of your environment. Lockjaw can also be played on DS.

11. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

There are plenty of tetromino games for GBA or DS. Probably the closest to TGM series that you can still download is KGM for GBA; Lockjaw's support for TGM behavior is limited.

12. Ai

Ai

So true. If I hadn't stumbled across this site I would probably have never heard about ARS and TGM and that would have been really sad! Yes, I'm a better player compared to last year, but I remember saying that I would only think of myself as a decent player if I get the GM grade in TGM. And even then I won't be satisfied. ^^

On the SRS front I've been slacking off lately, but I do intend to improve my play in that area as well seeing as almost everyone plays SRS multiplayer Tetris. Maybe I'll finally start t-spin practice in the second half of the year.

I don't really compare myself with my friends as they don't play seriously at all. The few people I persuaded to play the game got intimidated or bored quite fast. They have other priorities unfortunately. Though I do like it when they are blown away by sub 60 seconds 40 lines runs and T.A. Death play. ^^

The DS version of Lockjaw is very good for speed training and getting used to the different rotation systems. That's were it all started for me actually as I couldn't get used to playing on keyboard. After a while I mastered using both buttons to rotate the tetrominoes and from there I improved gradually. It was when I got near sub 60 seconds in Lockjaw on DS that I started playing on PC with keyboard rigourously. There is also a TGM clone for DS which is superb as well! It's an excellent practice tool! If you need more details just pm me. You will need a cart to play homebrew applications on your DS though.

If you give us more details on what you wish to accomplish we could give you more specific help.

EDIT:

^^

Last edited: 18 Apr 2010